Avg

Steve B

Avg 2011 and ccleaner don't seem to work together well when I run the registry cleaner it really screws my AVG up. this is the the free version of AVG.It keeps deleting some files in avg it does this on two different computers running the same avg. Can anyone help with this problem.I'm using the latest version of ccleaner which is also the portable version.

• Moderators

If you see AVG ticked in the Cleaner area of CCleaner untick it. Hopefully that will remedy it, if it however doesn't start CCleaner then use Analyze and look through the preliminary Analyze "log" produced by CCleaner to see if there's anything AVG related.

If you continue having problems all the information you can supply would greatly help, that being; screenshots of what CCleaner finds or copy the Analyze log, operating system version, etc. This would help the bug fixers and dev team track down the problem with your assistance/information to remedy it.

• Moderators

Actually it the registry cleaner that Poster is having issue with. Most security programs (and I assume AVG does this as well) don't register their registry entries in a way that CCleaner properly detects them as having a link to a program. This is for you safety (else malware could easily disable your Antivirus)

The Problem here is that you are trying to clean everything in the registry. Please read my signature and see how to properly use registry integrity section of CCleaner.

Basically don't clean anything is the registry, unless you know you don't need it

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

Yes it can be registry related. The last time I used AVG which was version 9 something in the Cleaner button would cause AVG 9 having to be reinstalled. The AVG registry key locations could also be excluded, but really AVG should just lock them down with restrictive permissions even for Administrators.

• Moderators

:huh::huh:

Yes it can be registry related. The last time I used AVG which was version 9 something in the Cleaner button would cause AVG 9 having to be reinstalled. The AVG registry key locations could also be excluded, but really AVG should just lock them down with restrictive permissions even for Administrators.

Andavari, I mean poster is running the registry integrity section ;)

when I run the registry cleaner it really screws my AVG up. this is the the free version of AVG.

:rolleyes:

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

• 2 weeks later...

These comments vaguely tie in with one I have.

My CC list shows AVG9. I changed to AVG 2011 a week ago and still the CC list shows AVG9.

How can I make it show my current AVG 2011 ? Or is it possible to edit the list ?

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - "I will  either find a way or make one"

• Moderators

Developers will be adding AVG 2011 soon, i believe

however ccleaner still shows avg9 because the registry key for avg9 still exists (Ccleaner is Detecting HKLocalMachine\SOFTWARE\AVG\Avg9)

am I correct in the assumption that both of you are using AVG 2011 Free?

I can start writing a Winapp2.ini (note I can and will only test this on an XP SP3)

[AVG AntiVirus 2011*]
ID=2145
LangSecRef=3024
Detect=HKLM\SOFTWARE\AVG\AVG10
Default=True
FileKey1=%allusersprofile%\Application Data\avg10\Log|*.log
FileKey2=%allusersprofile%\Application Data\avg10\scanlogs|*.log
FileKey3=%allusersprofile%\Application Data\avg10\Log|*.xml
FileKey4=%allusersprofile%\Application Data\avg10\update\backup|*.*
FileKey5=%allusersprofile%\Application Data\avg10\Emc\Log|*.log

Winapp2 entry Tested and works on XP SP3 can some one find me these files on a vista/win7 machine

Developers will be adding AVG 2011 soon, i believe

however ccleaner still shows avg9 because the registry key for avg9 still exists (Ccleaner is Detecting HKLocalMachine\SOFTWARE\AVG\Avg9)

am I correct in the assumption that both of you are using AVG 2011 Free?

I can start writing a Winapp2.ini (note I can and will only test this on an XP SP3)

[AVG AntiVirus 2011*]
ID=2145
LangSecRef=3024
Detect=HKLM\SOFTWARE\AVG\AVG10
Default=True

Winapp2 entry Tested and works on XP SP3 can some one find me these files on a vista/win7 machine

YES - I am using AVG 2011 Free. I have uninstalled CC and re-installed it, but the listing still shows AVG9.

If I uninstall CC, then manually locate the Registry key that CC conveniently leaves behind, delete it and then re-install CC, will the list then show AVG 2011 ?

If not, then without the old Registry key, what will it show ?

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - "I will  either find a way or make one"

• Moderators

Why are you uninstalling ccleaner?? CC didn't leave any reg key behind. AVG did. CCleaner will only show (and clean) AVG 2011 if you place my above winapp2 entry into your winapp2 (for more information on winapp2 follow the links in my signature). You need to open regedit and manually delete the key I told you was being detected (HKLocalMachine\SOFTWARE\AVG\Avg9).

without the old reg key avg 9 will no longer be seen by CCleaner.

Again to emphasize AVG did not uninstall itself well enough and left behind a key.

• Moderators

Obviously you didn't try everything, because all you have to do is place my winapp2 entry into your winapp2.ini (see my signature for winapp2 explanation) and AVG 2011 will appear in your ccleaner

Just installed version 3.0.1103. without uninstalling previous 2.35.1233 on XP SP3 computer.

First pass it wants to uninstall AVG 2011.

Previous version 2.35.1233 (run 10 minutes ago) had no problem with any version of AVG.

I have unticked AVG 10 and CC now runs OK, but obviously isn't checking AVG 2011 any more.

I do not expect to have to tweek to get new versions to work as well as the old ones.

For interest, AVG 2011 reports as follows:-

"C:\Documents and Settings\David\Local Settings\Temp\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5\OSV3UP46\ccsetup300[1].exe";

"Corrupted executable file"

Deleted this.

Rescan with AVG 2011 is now clean.

I wonder?

• Moderators
First pass it wants to uninstall AVG 2011

ccleaner doesn't ask to unistall anything. I assume you are talking about the registry section, and trying to say that ccleaner found a avg entry in the scan

Please read my signature. This is a Good thing that AVG doesn't report correctly it it attached to a program in the registry, you wouldn't want your Anti-Malware to be easily disabled by Malware.

NOT EVERYTHING MENTIONED IN CCLEANER REGISTRY SHOULD BE CLEANED in fact most things leave them there. . . especially if it's for software you still run. . . even more especially if it's for your anti-malware

Hi

As you point out, CC does not ask to uninstall, but the result of analysis scan stated:-

Details of files to be deleted

Utilities - AVG Antivirus 10.0 126,597 KB 64 files.

Which to my mind says remove AVG but not by uninstallation, just eliminate it.

Sorry for my misuse of the term uninstall, the result would have been much worse.

AVG version today is 10.0.1152

• Moderators

Hi

As you point out, CC does not ask to uninstall, but the result of analysis scan stated:-

Details of files to be deleted

Utilities - AVG Antivirus 10.0 126,597 KB 64 files.

Which to my mind says remove AVG but not by uninstallation, just eliminate it.

Sorry for my misuse of the term uninstall, the result would have been much worse.

If you look at those 64 files (double click on the entry it will take you to the detailed view) you see that all that is going to be removed is

so it's just logs and backup files from the definition updates.

This is how ccleaner works, it remove extra unneeded junk (Logs, old updates etc) it isn't going to touch the actual AVG program. and lastly you can always uncheck AVG if you don't want these files removed.

I hope that puts you at ease :)

• Moderators

No Problem, that's what we're here for. For anyone else who is worried, here is a log of avg clean on an XP machine

ANALYSIS COMPLETE - (0.597 secs)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
111.3 MB to be removed. (Approximate size)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Details of files to be deleted (Note: No files have been deleted yet)
Utilities - AVG AntiVirus 10.0	113,921 KB	29 files
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\avg10\Log\avgcfg.log	23 KB
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\avg10\Log\avgcsl.log	70 KB
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\avg10\Log\avgexc.log	5 KB
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\avg10\Log\avgldr.log	11 KB
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\avg10\Log\avglng.log	17 KB
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\avg10\Log\avgpostinst.log	1 KB
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\avg10\Log\avgscan.log	45 KB
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\avg10\Log\avgsched.log	292 KB
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\avg10\Log\avgsrm.log	16 KB
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\avg10\Log\avgtdi.log	9 KB
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\avg10\Log\avgual.log	4 KB
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\avg10\Log\avgupd.log	887 KB
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\avg10\Log\avgupdm.log	3,227 KB
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\avg10\Log\avgwdsvc.log	28 KB
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\avg10\Log\commonpriv.log	93 KB
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\avg10\Log\fixcfg.log	8 KB
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\avg10\Log\vault.log	21 KB
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\avg10\scanlogs\I_00000005.log	1 KB
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\avg10\scanlogs\I_00000006.log	1 KB
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\avg10\Log\history.xml	4 KB
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\avg10\update\backup\avgmfapx.exe	3,065 KB
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\avg10\update\backup\avgupdx.dll	2,473 KB
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\avg10\update\backup\cf.dat	1 KB
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\avg10\update\backup\COREx.cab	4,621 KB
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\avg10\update\backup\COREx86.msi	1,510 KB
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\avg10\update\backup\incavi.avm	95,395 KB
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\avg10\update\backup\sb.dat	1,776 KB
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\avg10\update\backup\sc.dat	280 KB
C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\avg10\update\backup\sc.dat.xcd	50 KB