CCleaner Use of the Windows Registry

LouieB

• Moderators

I'm really enjoying this thread, and all the input the guys have made.

It was this bit which piqued my recent interest ...

Have the default settings always been the same for all versions of CC? Proving the default settings for 2.29 may be, uh, problematic.

... I thought the relationship between a new install of CCleaner V 2.29.1111, and it's INI file being devoid of any settings (save the window dimensions), was a pretty good confirmation of what the default settings are. CCleaner is obviously hard wired not to include the default settings in the INI when first installed.

That would make for an unnecessarily large INI File.

Anyways, that's my humble attempt at proving conclusively what the default settings for that version are.

Great fun, even if someone can find flaws in that little exercise. :)

Mr Don, I did not know about the old versions of CC using an INI file.

I believe it was sometime before the 1.41 version, but I forget just how far back it was. It has been a long time since I used anything earlier than 1.41.

They used to include default settings in an INI file. But in newer versions, they started building that INI file into CCleaner.

The personalized settings ini is totally different from the default INI file.

If you go back to the very earliest versions of CCleaner, I am sure you will be able to see this file.

When you say "it restored my default settings"... This is very confusing what you mean here. CCleaner already has default settings it restores that it draws from the built in INI file. If you mean that the default includes "Internet Explorer -> Cookies are checked/Temp internet files are checked/ etc etc etc, those are from the built in INI.

You will never be able to do an install of CCleaner with "blank" settings if that is what you are looking.

You can make it that way by saving the settings to an INI file under advanced, then uncheck everything.

But the default CCleaner settings are usually pretty good. I have to assume that this is what you mean, because Dennis & several others in here crawled the registry & other settings. I don't know of any other locations it would have been.

So the only other option in my mind, is you are referring to the built in INI file that checkmarks the default internet explorer, windows temp, firefox, etc settings. Again, these are built into the EXE, or a part of the EXE, so that is not "picking it up" from anywhere other than CCleaner itself.

Thanks!