Antivirus on Startup

pagoda

I would like to know if CCleaner can have some control over antivirus programs. I am very frustrated by the fact that they start automatically and run autonomously on my system. I have tried several brands and always have the same problem. I try removing them from the "run" registry and that keeps the icon from coming up in the tray, but it does nothing to stop the program from running. I know I may be unique in that I don't want my antivirus running all the time, but I'm not very afraid of getting a virus. I just want the ability to scan things from time to time that I know to be high risk items.

Will CCleaner prevent any one of the antivirus titles from starting automatically?

• Moderators

Via CCleaner's Tools->Startup you can happily go about messing with startup programs. A much safer approach versus deleting a startup entry from the registry is to click Start->Run->Type in: MSCONFIG

With MSCONFIG you can safely disable a startup program without permanently deleting it.

All antivirus programs have the ability to allow you to disable their resident protection because the vendor's know there will be situations when the resident protection has to be disabled, such would be the case when installing a Windows service pack.

If you don't want antivirus with resident protection you may want to look into ClamWin Free Antivirus. It's freeware and its daily signature file is updated almost everday.