Pale Moon Browser

Floyd

I installed this today and really like it. It's even substantially faster then Firefox although it uses the FF engine and I believe it is produced by Mozilla too. Does that mean that CCleaner which I love also will clean up PaleMoon as well as FF trails etc.

I sure do hope so. I use ver 236.1233 and Win 7 Pro.

If anyone can help I'd really appreciate it.

Floyd

• Moderators

Please post back with your thoughts on ccleaner's cleaning of pale moon, as it was just added in today's release :)

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

I actually just tested it and it doesn't pick up my Pale Moon installation.

ummm weird sadly I can't see what they are using as it's embedded in the Moz special keys

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

• Moderators

I tried Pale Moon about one hour ago and CCleaner picked it up and cleaned it. There's no Pale Moon tick boxes in CCleaner though so perhaps it's using the pre-existing Firefox tick boxes, won't know until the developer states otherwise.

The Pale Moon cleaning path is C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Moonchild Productions\Pale Moon\Profiles\etc* - on my system under Windows 7 at least.

*extra stuff that i really couldn't be bothered adding in :rolleyes:

Windows 7 - Office 2010 - Internet Explorer 9

All better than the versions preceding them :D

• Moderators

Yes it is the existing firefox (Lumped in with all firefox based browsers AFAIK)

@Floyd, can you run the firefox section and tell us if it cleaned your pale moon install?

Nergal, I ran Ccleaner to clean out all cookies first, than I opened PM, loaded web pages, closed it went back to Ccleaner and it had new cookies. I than went and opened PM and ran CCleaner. It prompted me to close FF. So I closed PM re-ran Ccleaner and all the cookies were gone. I also went and checked the profile folder for PM and the last modified date changed to when I deleted the cookies.

So I would say it works, but just looks at PM as FF.

It would be nice to see PM listed in the applications for the sake of comfort. I really like PM but almost quit using it because I thought I'd need Ccleaner more. Now I'm happy.

Thanks to all the others that offered help and also helped move this discussion along.

Floyd

• Moderators

I think (read conjecture) the decison not to list as Pale moon was because there are a number of different Firefox based browsers, many are now being covered by CCleaner (under Firefox) so adding each individually would overly bloat CCleaner. I also think (also conjecture) the decision to keep named Firefox (as opposed to Mozilla) is most people using a FF-based-broswer know it's based on FF, but many/most people who use FF don't realize it's called Mozilla.

EDIT: Doh looks like they do call it Mozilla :P

My mom calls it Montezuma.:huh: Then I have to go into a long explanation of it having nothing to do with the Aztec king but instead Godzilla->Mozilla and their lizard icon/image, yet she still calls it Montezuma.:lol:

Some people call it Mozarella too :lol:

PS : Mozilla has nothing to do with Godzilla, it's "Mosaic Killer" ;)

Piriform French translator

• Moderators

Some people call it Mozarella too :lol:

PS : Mozilla has nothing to do with Godzilla, it's "Mosaic Killer" ;)

Yeah it doesn't have anything to do with Godzilla or even Mozzarella cheese.:lol: It's just to get people to pronounce it correctly. It's about as annoying as seeing people write Foxfire when needing help with Firefox.

Some of the stuff makes me laugh like when I heard some people out and about talking about the new Google Foam browser, it's Chrome.:rolleyes:

• Moderators

Some of the stuff makes me laugh like when I heard some people out and about talking about the new Google Foam browser, it's Chrome.:rolleyes:

No, Google created a new product which allows you to browse styrofoam remotely. . o_O.

PS : Mozilla has nothing to do with Godzilla, it's "Mosaic Killer

Wait doesn't that make Filezilla=File Killer?

ok nuff of my silly OT talk :P

I am using Firefox.

If CCleaner deals with Pale Moon as a type of Firefox,

and if I add (on a different path) Pale Moon (possibly Portable),

Will I have independent control of cleaning each browser ?

Or will I have a major problem to fix ?

Alan

I am using Firefox.

Alan

Alan, I installed PM and it automatically goes into a different program folder, but apparently CCleaner finds it. I left FF installed too. I ran CCleaner and it cleaned up all my cookies.

I then used PM exclusively until I had a substantial amount of cookies generated. Ran CCleaner again and it cleaned them all up. It showed up as FF files cleaned in the list, but they must have lived in PM because I didn't use FF.

Both browsers have separate directories also for the profile folders so CCleaner must be looking beyond the FF folder.

I really like PM a lot. Had a few quirky issues that I have all pretty much resolved, but it's worth it. The only issue I have left is getting MozBackup to find PM Profiles folder, but I'm on the case and am pretty sure I can get that to work too. BTW PM has a great migration tool to keep the same setups, bookmarks and extensions all loaded into PM painlessly.

Floyd

• Moderators

I am using Firefox.

Alan

Alan, I installed PM and it automatically goes into a different program folder, but apparently CCleaner finds it. I left FF installed too. I ran CCleaner and it cleaned up all my cookies.

I then used PM exclusively until I had a substantial amount of cookies generated. Ran CCleaner again and it cleaned them all up. It showed up as FF files cleaned in the list, but they must have lived in PM because I didn't use FF.

Both browsers have separate directories also for the profile folders so CCleaner must be looking beyond the FF folder.

I really like PM a lot. Had a few quirky issues that I have all pretty much resolved, but it's worth it. The only issue I have left is getting MozBackup to find PM Profiles folder, but I'm on the case and am pretty sure I can get that to work too. BTW PM has a great migration tool to keep the same setups, bookmarks and extensions all loaded into PM painlessly.

Floyd

Portable PaleMoon , ccleaner will not see it, installed palemoon, ccleaner will because (like other browsers) it works on a special_key system for detect and for clean (where most other programs look for a reg key or file Browsers look for detectables coded into ccleaner which I do not know what they are)

@Floyd

@Nergal

Thank you very much for your feedback.

I very much prefer portable applications which can be held on non-system partitions,

and which therefore do not revert to an earlier configuration if I restore an earlier image of C:\,

as is required if the O.S. blows up.

This is mostly theoretical - it is rare for me to allow O.S. destruction,

but that is a risk we all run with Windows Security patches ! !

I recently was persuaded onto the slippery slope of Firefox 4.0 Beta and have now slipped into Beta 6.

It sort-of works O.K.

I have been content with

Portable CCleaner 2.20.0.920 dated 27 May 2009 14:40:07 plus a cut-down version of

winapp2.ini dated 18 September 2009, 17:59:02 file size 3.94 KB (4,037 bytes)

I decided to take time out and try

Portable CCleaner 2.35.0.1223 dated 26 August 2010 20:23:43 plus the latest Winapp2.ini.

I duplicated this folder and cut down Winapp2.ini to to exclude what it failed to detect.

Both versions of Winapp2.ini for CC 2.35 resulted in exactly the same check-boxes for cleaning.

My 8 year old laptop launched and prepared for CC 2.35 Analysis etc in :-

10 Seconds using the original downloaded Winapp2.ini.

4 Seconds using the cut-down Winapp2.ini.

After most of a week without using CC, I did a side by side comparison of

Portable CCleaner 2.20 found 118 MB to zap

Portable CCleaner 2.35 found 119 MB to zap

I added MY special bits from the old cut-down winapp2.ini to the new and cut down version of winapp2.ini.

This added a further 2 MB of special %USERPROFILE% etc. deletions that could not be stipulated in CC's INCLUDE.

Much as I expected, minimal benefit (3 MB) for my effort - Still not worth getting out of bed.

N.B

4,037 bytes size OLD cut-down winapp2.ini for CC 2.20

6,477 bytes size NEW cut-down winapp2.ini for CC 2.35

BUT THEN I looked at cookies.

The old 2.20 found only 2 cookies to delete, and had a list of 90 to keep.

The new 2.35 without the special bits had no cookies to keep and 590 cookies to zap.

BUT with special additions and 90 cookies to keep, it still had 530 cookies to zap.

i.e. after perhaps a month of using Firefox Beta there were 588 cookies that CC 2.20 knew nothing about,

and only 2 unwanted cookies had arrived this last week that came where 2.20 was looking.

SUDDENLY I SEE THE BENEFIT OF UPDATING CC - especially after a change of browser.

CC 2.20 could still find Firefox 4 beta cache, but not the new hiding place for cookies.

Regretfully I will use the Installed version Pale Moon so that CC will keep it clean.

I am not too concerned about loss of privacy via cookies,

BUT I have now got my house insurance renewal notice, and next month car insurance is due.

I go to comparison web-sites for the best offers, and make final choices at cash-back sites which I click through.

I can expect a ?60 cash back reward from the cash-back site out of the commission it receives for my click through,

but only if my click through tracking cookie is determined to be the cause of my purchase.

If the company that takes my credit card details could see 530 other tracking cookies due to my earlier Internet searches,

I would stand only a 1 in 531 chance of getting the money.

It is worth getting out of bed for ?60.

I am pleased that Pale Moon uses different folders from Firefox.

I just hope it does not impose Firefox stupidity upon my system.

For several years Firefox has had some stupid meaningless profile name that never seemed to change.

I found that the first time I downloaded something via Firefox 4 Beta,

the download manager showed its arrival and allowed my return to the download site in future as usual,

BUT this last couple of years I have download a few hundred files,

BUT ALL DOWNLOAD HISTORY IS NOW GONE - I can no longer return to those download sites

I put this disaster down to a change in the stupid meaningless profile name,

and Firefox Beta removing the old profile with all its history.

I can browse an earlier partition image, but do not wish to suffer the pain of trying to merge ancient history.

Regards and thanks for advice

Alan

• 1 month later...
  • Moderators

threadcromancy. Winapp, please define for us your new word. :D

Threadcromancy: The Act of posting in a forum thread, which has lain dormant for long enough to be considered dead, thus reviving it past an understandable length of time. The Word Derives from Necromancy, a form of magic practiced to raise corpses in a supernatural manner (see: Zombie)

:D :D ;)B)

That was my definition

B4386DEB-2CCF-4945-8AA4545D355A48FC.jpg

here is an "official" type one

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/thread_necromancy