Final Fantasy XIII can damage games systems!

Andavari

• Moderators

I bought a copy of Final Fantasy XIII by Square Enix, and then after just 2 hours of gameplay I was wondering why the game was freezing/locking my Sony PlayStation 3. The PS3 gives a nice error code that's search-able on the PlayStation website about cleaning discs and such and such but it really has nothing to do with the game causing the issue to begin with, and paying Sony $150 to fix the system is completely utter bogus b.s.

After a Google search of "final fantasy xiii lock freeze" the true horror was revealed about the issues the game causes. I'll never play it again as it can completely damage PS3's which is called "blocking" a system. Even XBOX 360 users are posting their disgust over the freezing/locking issues, and for XBOX 360 users installing the game doesn't seem to fix anything either.

If anyone owns the game and notices their system will no longer load any discs this is what I did, although I don't currently know if my PS3 is completely damaged as of yet:

1. Eject the disc.

2. Turn off the PS3.

3. Completely turn off the PS3 main power, it's the button located on the back of the unit.

4. Unplug the powercord from the unit for several minutes.

5. Reconnect the powercord.

6. Turn the main power back on.

7. Hopefully your other games discs, and other data discs will work again.

• Moderators

My PS3 was unfortunately damaged by the game, that little useless tip of turning the system off completely and unplugging it doesn't do s**t. At least I can still play videos and music transferred over from a USB Thumb Drive, but it won't load any discs now.

I know attempting to sue Square Enix or even Sony is pointless when talking about the price of the system and game, I'd spend more on a lawyer than what both are worth. I'll just save up to get another $299 PS3 and I sure as hell won't be buying anymore Square Enix games!

• Moderators

After reading your post Andavari I had a look around and as you say there are pages of threads from people all complaining about this.

Really sorry to hear that your machine won't load discs anymore :(

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

I wonder if that can be fixed with a software download. Even the current Firmware if it's available.

At least I would keep an eye on the progress of a current lawsuit to see how things pan out.

http://www.qj.net/qjnet/playstation-3/square-enix-and-sony-sued-over-final-fantasy-xiii-freezing-issue.html

That's a bummer to be sure.

• Moderators

I wonder if that can be fixed with a software download. Even the current Firmware if it's available.

At least I would keep an eye on the progress of a current lawsuit to see how things pan out.

http://www.qj.net/qj...zing-issue.html

No update is going to fix it because it seems to physically damage the PS3 disc drive with all that non-stop constant loading of game data. Edit: It seems to only take about 1 to 2 hours to trash the drive, it even happens on brand new out of the box PS3 systems!

It's really odd given every other PS3 game I've ever played purchased or rented has to be installed which was probably why Sony made it that way to begin with so it puts far less stress on the disc drive itself. That game is a complete drive killer, luckily it didn't trash my whole system.

I may talk to a lawyer to see what he/she would charge and if it would even be worth pursuing a lawsuit -- probably a waste of time I think.

Edit:

That must be why when I tried to rent it last month a local video rental store manager stated she pulled it and it wouldn't be available anymore, she never eluded as to why.

• Moderators

I wonder if this is just a coincidence or really caused by Final Fantasy itself. Their are loads of stories about the blu ray drives on the ps3 dying. I dont doubt that this game maybe has the system access data more often than other games but the drives have been known to die, so maybe its just accelerating a problem their already was with the drives in the ps3.

I looked on amazon, you can get drives for like 80 or so. Might be worth just getting a new drive if you dont mind doing it yourself.(I haven't taken a ps3 apart but took xbox's and ps2's apart all the time and its not hard).

Or maybe see if you can trade it in at a gamestop and use the credit towards a refurb unit, a lot cheaper than $299. (Just back up your data)

Square Enix & Sony are going to pay somebody...defense lawyer and/or plaintiffs. It would at least be worth a phone call to that lawyer to see what is required to join the class action suit. Might be easier than you think, cheaper too.

A link to the PDF with the filing is HERE. Its from your original link, Andavari.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

Well on Monday or thereabouts afterwords I'll be filing with the local lawyers I've always used in the past. I just want my system back in proper working order -- even if it has to be replaced with a new base unit which is what I'd want anyways because I don't know if the damage is only limited to the Blu-ray disc drive alone.

I don't own a PS3 machine but from your description it sounds very like the lens mechanism of the disc drive got damaged.

If the disc was manufactured incorrectly i.e. cockeyed, then this could have caused the read head to swing violently attributing to mechanical fatigue or moved the head closer to the disc surface touching it and casing physical damaged to the lens.

Out of curiosity do you see any circular marks on the disc??

Richard S.

• Moderators

The disc looks like it's in pristine/perfect condition, no scratches, etc., on it. Although it has this weird shininess to it which I noticed when taking it out of the case the first time - no other game disc looks like that on the PS3.

I think the problem is that Square Enix doesn't have FF XIII install game data onto the PS3 hard disk which is foolish since installing it would've allowed the disc drive to only be used when necessary and not constantly stressed to the point of bricking the drive. Really completely foolish to not install game data for a game that would take so many hours to finish.

Unfortunately nothing will be done about it unless they're sued senselessly.

Well I've filed my claim in the anti-trust lawsuit. I tried to go through a local law office but they don't practice in anti-trust suits so I ended up using an online form for filing.

Good for you! I hope you hammer'em. It is inconceivable to me that they would have distributed that beast and not known its effects. Even if they say they did, they should have known.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Well I've filed my claim in the anti-trust lawsuit. I tried to go through a local law office but they don't practice in anti-trust suits so I ended up using an online form for filing.

I hope this goes well for you. Isn't Sony the one that produces PS3 in the first place? They are an awful company to deal with. Sony is one of the companies I refuse to give another dollar to. They are behind nearly every form of DRM/TCP/etc etc out there.

+ the developers of the game probably had the "bright idea" that if they locked the use of the drive to the machine, if someone tried to clone a copy of the game, then they would need the disk drive in order to play the game, as opposed to fully installing it so it won't use the drive as much... Aha! Anti-Piracy!

Anyway, I sure hope you get your problems fixed. Sony NEEDS to be sued!

• Moderators

Anyway, I sure hope you get your problems fixed. Sony NEEDS to be sued!

The thing is I don't actually blame Sony as they'll have developer kits, etc., for video game makers. Square Enix has been making video games what seems like forever and unfortunately they've lost me for life. Square Enix would've had the PS3 specs to know they could install data on the hard disk. They could've easily had it like Metal Gear Solid 4 does it by installing each part/chapter only when it's needed to progress, although that's actually a bit of a pain in the ass too when they could just install all the game data at once.

Sony is one of the companies I refuse to give another dollar to.

X3.

Gotta remember, this didn't just happen by chance.

Bad business decisions, shoddy work, sloppy R&D, either way, you're out money.

Some avid googler could multiply the number of customers who bought both items by the price. Then later subtract the amount of the final settlement. Might be a surprise.

Remember the sony rootkit.