New directory for CCleaner to clean

mr don

In XP there are a few things that can be cleaned that I don't remember seeing in CCleaner, but show up under Disk Cleanup utility or appear to be directories safe to clean...

- Downloaded Installations (C:\Windows\Downloaded Installations) (Can get pretty huge depending on how much you do on a computer.)

- Catalog files for the Content Indexer (Files stored by the indexing service. These files are left over from a previous indexing operation & can be safely deleted.)

Thanks for your views!

Downloaded Program Files should not be cleaned. They are IE-related, and IE will have odd behavior if a file is missing in it.

I edited it out. My bad. I was sleepy. I think the downloaded installations directory should be safe, not the downloaded program files...

• Moderators

I think the downloaded installations directory should be safe

I've removed that whole directory on my system with no ill effects. I've only seen some Microsoft XP Powertoys put the MSI setup file in there, I've never seen anything else go in there though.

The 'Downloaded Program Files' directory however shouldn't be messed with.

• 1 year later...

The 'Downloaded Program Files' directory however shouldn't be messed with.

That seems to be a consensus. But I'm hoping someone can explain why, if Disk Cleaner can safely delete these files, why it is unsafe for CCleaner to do so. Just wondering.

• Moderators

But I'm hoping someone can explain why

Because messing with it can open a can of worms, and result into a rather difficult approach to fixing an issue. Such a case is some online services such as online virus scanning, etc.

• Moderators

some ActiveX & javas live there I think (not on pc can't check)

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

some ActiveX & javas live there I think (not on pc can't check)

Yes. I can't remember the name of it, it was that free Microsoft online virus scanning service that if you manually cleaned out that folder you'd need a miracle worker to get it working again as in updating and uninstalling it became difficult too.

Cleaning it out like I already pointed out does cause problems with other online virus scanners too.

if Disk Cleaner can safely delete these files

That would make a good question.

I learnt to distrust Disk Cleanup when the XP Operating System refused to trust it, and my system was trashed so bad I had to restore partition C:\ from a backup image.

Disk Cleanup compresses files that have not been "recently used".

It decided to do this to a system file that was under Windows File Protection.

Windows objected to the replacement by a substitute that did not match registration manifests or whatever,

and the System File Check was useless because it demanded Installation Disks which were NOT part of the pre-installed package.

Windows does not trust Disk Cleanup, so why should I ?

I consider Disk Cleanup reasonable safe - but not a Gold Standard for safety.

• Moderators

I learnt to distrust Disk Cleanup when the XP Operating System refused to trust it, and my system was trashed so bad I had to restore partition C:\ from a backup image.

It trashed my system a few years back too after some Microsoft Update did something rather the other with it.