Please Have CCleaner Install For All Users

DasFox

This is a simple request I hope that you'll make in a future version.

I don't see any options during the install that allows you to pick if you want to install for All users or just the Current user.

On a box with many profiles this would be a nice install feature, which is typical of most software installs anyways, so not sure why it's being done here with CCleaner.

Because for now you have to make copies of the startmenu icon into the other users profiles so you have access to the program...

THANKS

Because for now you have to make copies of the startmenu icon into the other users profiles so you have access to the program...

I find it is sufficient to simply move it from my personal profile startmenu into the "All Users" profile startmenu.

But otherwise yes, it would be a useful option.

Alan

This is my first post on this forum - I fully support what DasFox had to say regarding having ccleaner available for all users! I would like to ask you Alan_B, is it just a matter of moving (or Copying?) the Startmenu icon to the All users file?

Could you explain how to do this for a newbie? I for one would be more prepared to pay for the program if it was readily available for all users! B)

Cheers,

GeoffS

This is my first post on this forum - I fully support what DasFox had to say regarding having ccleaner available for all users! I would like to ask you Alan_B, is it just a matter of moving (or Copying?) the Startmenu icon to the All users file?

Could you explain how to do this for a newbie? I for one would be more prepared to pay for the program if it was readily available for all users! B)

Cheers,

GeoffS

Not Alan_B here, but yes, it's a simple matter of moving the icon to the public Start menu. Under XP, the public "all programs" menu is in "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start menu\Programs". Under Vista and Win7, it's in "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start menu\Programs", and "ProgramData" is a hidden folder, so you'll need to first set Explorer to display hidden files and folders. The private Start menu is under "C:\Documents and Settings\{your login}\Start menu\Programs" for XP, and under "C:\Users\{your login}\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start menu\Programs" for Vista and Win7. "AppData" is also a hidden folder.

In order for the proper permissions to be set for the shortcut, you should first copy it to its public location, then delete it from its original private one. When you move a file, it keeps its full set of original permissions, which may not be appropriate.

"Do not mock the crocodile until you've finished crossing the river" (African proverb)

• 1 month later...

I like to keep things organized under the XP start menu so this is the path I made for CCleaner and if you take the folder that is made in your user path as C:\Documents and Settings\User\Start Menu\Programs\CCleaner

And then just copy that to the 'All Users' this does not work like how I have below;

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Utilites\CCleaner

I then copied CCleaner.exe and placed into the All Users path above and that still didn't work.

I even made a short cut from Program Files then copied that into the All Users path and it still didn't work and I even added the Users name and changed the perms and it still didn't work...

Anyway it's stupid to have to go through all this trouble and I hope the developer(s) see this post and change it in a new version to have an option to pick if you want to install just to the current user or all users, I mean sheesh is that to much to ask, NO, LOL...

What a pain in the rear... :(

There needs to be an installer option to change this...

THANKS

P.S. In XP you can leave the install at the path; C:\Documents and Settings\User\Start Menu\Programs\CCleaner but then you have to copy that to the actual name of the User you want to in XP, you can't just copy it to 'All Users', I tried it, doesn't want to work for me in XP Pro SP3 on a Limited Account...

P.S. In XP you can leave the install at the path; C:\Documents and Settings\User\Start Menu\Programs\CCleaner but then you have to copy that to the actual name of the User you want to in XP, you can't just copy it to 'All Users', I tried it, doesn't want to work for me in XP Pro SP3 on a Limited Account...

You can if you open an instance of Explorer as the machine's administrator (right-click, "Open as?").

"Do not mock the crocodile until you've finished crossing the river" (African proverb)