Advanced user option suggestion

saturncc

Also noticed that it left behind other windows update files that can be removed.

Located in c:\windows\$hf_mig$"

BTW..

OS = Windows XP sp3 with all updates

CC version = 2.35.1223

I most likely will not check this thread again, unless I find more files that CC missed.

Thanks for a nice little cleanup tool!

• Moderators

Silly not to check this again because then you won't get an answer, but for those curious,

These are not removed because Microsoft has deemed them not safe to remove.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Silly not to check this again because then you won't get an answer, but for those curious,

These are not removed because Microsoft has deemed them not safe to remove.

This did not require an answer, so there should not be a need to check. But I am glad I did.

First of all, IE7updates can be removed if IE8 is installed. Second, the update files for IE are the same as those for Windows. I have removed them for years and never once had or heard of any issues with removing them. I will bet you can find something that Microsoft has said about removing any of the Windows update files, in which they suggest not removing them. The biggest reason to remove them that I can think of, is the security issues that some day may come into play. Just think if you can revert the OS or IE back to introduce the bug/vulnerability and take advantage of it.

If you are going to stick with Microsoft's explanation, then atleast remove older updates files(older than 1 year).

Another set of files that are ignored by ccleaner that should be removed. *.tmp files in the c:\windows directory. I run across tmp files once in a while, they should not be there but they are.

I totally missed this point...

If by default the Advanced option for "Hotfix Uninstallers" option is not checked (enabled), you can stick with Microsoft's recommendation. However, this is a user action that must be added and my preference is, if you are going to remove Windows update installer files, then remove them all.

On XP systems the following folder is not safe to mess around with:

c:\windows\$hf_mig$

It should be left alone, and at one point a few years back CCleaner did remove stuff in it but it caused problems.

Ok.. I give.. It seems that people are reading only what they want to read instead of reading the content of the suggestions.

My suggestions were:

1. Remove the windows update files from c:\windows\ie7updates and c:\windows\ie8updates.

I am not sure if Nergal meant that these files were included in the same thought as the $hf_mig$ folder?? Will they be considered for removal??

2. Remove the windows update files from c:\windows\$hf_mig$

Now these, I might believe that there would be issues deleting these files. I have yet to see it, as I have removed the folder on EVERY machine I ever deal with. None have had any problems.

3. Remove c:\windows\*.tmp files.

let me guess.. Microsoft said it would be a bad idea to remove these too?????

I definitly feel the welcome around here. When a suggestion is given, only negetive responses are given. Nothing about a good idea's, I did not see a thank you for the feedback/suggestion/idea.

I like giving feedback and suggestions to make products better, but when people are faced with this kind of welcoming, I do not want to provide any more feedback help to make your product better. Why in the world would you give this kind of attitude to someone????

So, now my first suggestion. Forget the product!! Improve your customer relations handling. Without it, your product is nothing!

For suggestions that seem to be flawed, or may have a negative impact, its not so much negativity that is given as it is reasoning for why the suggestion may be flawed or not. On numerous occasions people have posted, then revised suggestions to ones that seem to be better, I believe a few were even implemented.

Please do try to understand many novice computer users run ccleaner without knowing what a lot of the functions do, so the programmers try to keep it user-friendly.

Also do remember the developers are always watching these forums, they'll hear your request as well as the input of the community.