A Possible Solution for all those requesting a built in updater

ishan_rulz

Please keep this thread on topic thank you. I'm sure if you want to discuss firewall you can start your own topic.

Thanks

(last warning ;) )

Sorry my bad,

I had an on topic and an offtopic part just replying to other posts posted, it eventually ended up in just an offtopic part lol sorry it won't happen again (and technically it's the first warning because i've never been warned before :P lol) again, Sorry, Back on topic :)

+1 (either with the idea I had to make it more noticeable or without :)

Reading this thread has made me very nervous about doing anything online ever. It gives off the message that your never ever safe ever. While its probably true, that doesn't mean we should deny ourselves a very VERY helpful tool like an auto-updater due to fear.

I love all of Piriforms applications, but the only problem is the updating. I love how much it gets updated, but a lot of the time when i am running maintenance i don't have/wait my internet browser open. A built in updater just makes sense to me.

If its a security issue, cant people just have an option to turn it off?

Reading this thread has made me very nervous about doing anything online ever. It gives off the message that your never ever safe ever. While its probably true, that doesn't mean we should deny ourselves a very VERY helpful tool like an auto-updater due to fear.

I love all of Piriforms applications, but the only problem is the updating. I love how much it gets updated, but a lot of the time when i am running maintenance i don't have/wait my internet browser open. A built in updater just makes sense to me.

If its a security issue, cant people just have an option to turn it off?

An automatic updater could be included along the lines of the one in VLC (another excellent freeware): when a new version is detected, it opens a pop-up to tell you about it, and it offers to download and install it in stride – or just download it for later installation if you so wish.

"Do not mock the crocodile until you've finished crossing the river" (African proverb)

While its probably true, that doesn't mean we should deny ourselves a very VERY helpful tool like an auto-updater due to fear.

I have no security concerns about an auto-updater that I am confident off.

My security concern is that if I have to click to proceed,

that click may give it authority to make the Operating System do things that are not in my best interest,

and then I need to satisfy myself that I am not about to unleash havoc.

I don't know HOW it would unleash havoc,

but who knew before this year about the zero day vulnerability of clicking the Windows F1 Help key.

Patch Tuesday Security fixes have taught many people that Auto patches/updates are a mixed blessing,

and I always prefer to make a partition image backup before allowing an extinction event on my computer ! !

Alan

An automatic updater could be included along the lines of the one in VLC (another excellent freeware): when a new version is detected, it opens a pop-up to tell you about it, and it offers to download and install it in stride ? or just download it for later installation if you so wish.

+1

(7/11)

.!-!-!-!.

EsseCi @ logoyn.png