IE and search problems

Canary

Just found this after finding a lot of examples of folk having a problem registering that jscript.dll file.

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-6142_102-0.html?threadID=321670 (Post#3)

How to get into safe mode is in my signature.

It's late here in the UK. Have to go I'm afraid, but if it hasn't worked, read that thread carefully in the link, and try "safe mode".

Hi - I've done it in safe mode, but it still doesn't work.

• Moderators

I wonder if Windows is just replacing that file with another dud. There are jscript.dll files in various places in Windows, and with different version numbers.

If you're not flagging yet, there are another couple of options to try, and it seems pretty likely that that at least jscript.dll is at the root of your troubles, although it seems that jscript.dll goes hand in hand with vbscript.dll.

Try this first by copying and pasting into the Start\Run box ... (shortened versions of the regsvr32 switch above)

regsvr32 -u vbscript.dll

If that's OK then re-register it ...

regsvr32 vbscript.dll

Then, if you rename that jscript.dll in System32 to jscript_old.dll, and wait, maybe come out of system32 and open it up again, you'll see that Windows automatically replaces it.

Once it's done that, try first to unregister it with ...

Regsvr32 -u jscript.dll

If that works, then do the manual register again ...

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

I've tested all of these from the Start\Run box, and they all worked fine. If it's still a no go, I've another couple of promising suggestions I've come across researching this, but it will have to be tomorrow.

If anyone can find a fix in the meantime, feel free.

:)

Source

Click Start, Run. Type %systemroot%\inf, and then click OK

Locate the file named SRCHASST.INF, right-click and choose Install. Note that the file extension (.INF) is not shown in Windows Explorer unless the Hide extensions for known file types setting is disabled in Control Panel / Folder Options / View tab.

In the next step, you?ll be asked for the Windows XP CD (to extract msgr3en.dll and other files). Insert your Windows XP CD and point to the i386 folder in the CD. The i386 folder is usually located at the root of the drive (e.g. E:\I386). However, if you?ve installed SP1/SP2 or SP3 separately after installing Windows XP, you need to point to the "%windir%\ServicePackFiles\i386" folder when prompted.

Search Companion is reinstalled now. Note that the above fixes don?t help resolve search index related issues.

Simplicity is hard.

Once it's done that, try first to unregister it with ...

Regsvr32 -u jscript.dll

If that works, then do the manual register again ...

Regsvr32 jscript.dll

I've tested all of these from the Start\Run box, and they all worked fine. If it's still a no go, I've another couple of promising suggestions I've come across researching this, but it will have to be tomorrow.

If anyone can find a fix in the meantime, feel free.

Hi - sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

I got as far as this stage, then I got the same old error message.

Source

Click Start, Run. Type %systemroot%\inf, and then click OK

Locate the file named SRCHASST.INF, right-click and choose Install. Note that the file extension (.INF) is not shown in Windows Explorer unless the Hide extensions for known file types setting is disabled in Control Panel / Folder Options / View tab.

In the next step, you?ll be asked for the Windows XP CD (to extract msgr3en.dll and other files). Insert your Windows XP CD and point to the i386 folder in the CD. The i386 folder is usually located at the root of the drive (e.g. E:\I386). However, if you?ve installed SP1/SP2 or SP3 separately after installing Windows XP, you need to point to the "%windir%\ServicePackFiles\i386" folder when prompted.

Search Companion is reinstalled now. Note that the above fixes don?t help resolve search index related issues.

Thanks for this.

I followed your step, but once the dialogue box came up and I pressed OK, nothing happened. Buttons not working is another of the issues I am having at the moment.

Thanks for this.

I followed your step, but once the dialogue box came up and I pressed OK, nothing happened. Buttons not working is another of the issues I am having at the moment.

Sorry - further to my previous response, what happens is this:

I type "D:\i386" into the dialogue box, and hit OK. Nothing happens - the dialogue box remains on screen. But if I hit Canel or Browse, though, there IS a response.

Sorry - further to my previous response, what happens is this:

I type "D:\i386" into the dialogue box, and hit OK. Nothing happens - the dialogue box remains on screen. But if I hit Canel or Browse, though, there IS a response.

Sorry - yet another update . . . the dialogue asks for the disc with Service Pack 3 to be installed, but I don't have that. I've only ever had service Pack 2.

• Moderators

I'd try two things now..

1. Read this and consider doing what logs you are able to and post them in Spyware Hell

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=20120

2. Consider if you have a windows disk doing a repair install (after reading all the instructions carefully)

http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

hazel's suggestions are sound, although I've one more idea for you, which wouldn't hurt to try before you go down the road of those suggestions.

I used to keep a Rescue Package stored online, which sadly isn't there anymore after the site messed up my stored files during their "improvements".

I'll upload it again, and pass you the download link when it's done.

You would need access to a pc with the ability to burn a CD, of course your own would do if it's working OK.

Once downloaded, you would extract the "ISO" from the zip file, and burn it to CD as an "Image", using free software like ...

Ashampoo Burning Studio:

or

ImgBurn:

You would then boot your PC with the disk, and when loaded into memory you would have a few options at your fingertips. It has a "System File Scan and Repair" Wizard, and a "System Restore" Wizard. Meaning the program guides you through these steps.

You could try either. Even though your "System Restore" isn't working, the files should still be there, and hopefully intact. If so, go back a couple of dates. Don't restore from the most recent point.

If you have success with this, then still follow hazels advice for the malware checks.

It's up to you of course, but maybe those System Files can be repaired this way before any of the Operating System loads, and you still have the "System Restore" option which I know has worked for others on here.

And you could always try the above steps first if you prefer.

Post back if you need any help with any of the above.

• 3 weeks later...

hazel's suggestions are sound, although I've one more idea for you, which wouldn't hurt to try before you go down the road of those suggestions.

I used to keep a Rescue Package stored online, which sadly isn't there anymore after the site messed up my stored files during their "improvements".

I'll upload it again, and pass you the download link when it's done.

You would need access to a pc with the ability to burn a CD, of course your own would do if it's working OK.

Once downloaded, you would extract the "ISO" from the zip file, and burn it to CD as an "Image", using free software like ...

Ashampoo Burning Studio:

or

ImgBurn:

You would then boot your PC with the disk, and when loaded into memory you would have a few options at your fingertips. It has a "System File Scan and Repair" Wizard, and a "System Restore" Wizard. Meaning the program guides you through these steps.

You could try either. Even though your "System Restore" isn't working, the files should still be there, and hopefully intact. If so, go back a couple of dates. Don't restore from the most recent point.

If you have success with this, then still follow hazels advice for the malware checks.

It's up to you of course, but maybe those System Files can be repaired this way before any of the Operating System loads, and you still have the "System Restore" option which I know has worked for others on here.

And you could always try the above steps first if you prefer.

Post back if you need any help with any of the above.

Hello everyone.

I'm really really sorry, but the problems on my computer got worse and I ended up unable even to access these forums.

I then tried to get help elsewhere but in the end I just went for the nuclear option of reinstalling everything, including the operating system.

But now it's all sorted, I just wanted to pop back and say thank you - your help and advice was greatly appreciated.

• Moderators

It's nice when someone takes the trouble to call back, so a thank you from me as well for that.

And although we couldn't fix it, I'm glad you got yourself up and running again.

Maybe a good time to think about having a solid back up you could fall back on in future. There are lots of threads on here about "Disk Image" back ups of the Operating System.

Just search for "Macrium Reflect" as one example. A first rate freeware program.

Macrium Reflect:

The only requirement is a separate drive or a separate partition of the same drive to store the back up "Image".

Worth some time investigating.

• 5 weeks later...

Hello everyone.

I'm really really sorry, but the problems on my computer got worse and I ended up unable even to access these forums.

I then tried to get help elsewhere but in the end I just went for the nuclear option of reinstalling everything, including the operating system.

But now it's all sorted, I just wanted to pop back and say thank you - your help and advice was greatly appreciated.

That's ok, my friend. Glad your working now.

I would have suggested to run this -> http://www.thewindowsclub.com/repair-internet-explorer-with-fix-ie-utility

And if that did not work, I would have suggested rolling back your current version of IE & doing a repair install of it.

IE is a little complicated to simply "uninstall" & remove, so this is why I like something like Firefox.

Sorry I got to you a little late to help with your problems, but good to see your working again.