Wireless G vs N

Jamin4u

Should I consider upgrading for speed, distance, and less interference.

I'm reading conflicting information on the INTERNET.

Are N cards backward compatible with G routers?

Any reception problems through objects because of the faster waves?

I'm reading that you'll only benefit on your networked computers such as transferring large files, and won't notice any improvement with the INTERNET.

Any thoughts?

• Moderators

Hi Jamin.

I have a Wireless G Router, which is 100mbps along the Ethernet cable from my PC to the router. I believe that beyond the router, you're back down to earth, so to speak. You would need download speeds at least that fast to get the full benefit of that initial 100mbps.

I'm no expert, or technician, but you would need first the bandwidth from your ISP, and servers which were capable of delivering those download speeds, to reap the full benefit.

To go to an N Router wouldn't gain anything for me, or probably most folk.

I'm open to be shot down (or educated) here, as that's simply the way I looked at it, with the basic knowledge I have, when I was shopping for my Router.

Regarding compatibility, I've no idea.

I've never used Wireless N routers but from what I understand it's a speed enhancement over G operating at 2.4GHz or 5GHz.

As long as the N router can work at 2.4GHz then it should be backwards compatible for wireless G or B networking.

In terms of speed difference N vs G this only applies to internal networking your Internet speed would still be capped to less than the router's top speed.

Richard S.

As said the only speed benefit would be to internal networking. People who are very happy with n usually are those who do a lot of home media networking or serving. Remember to avoid pre-n products.

Unique situations are what can dictate whether n will work better or worse than g. Remember that these are still very low-powered transmitters and the angle/orientation of the antenna(s) are critical as well as their height. Also remewmber to fine tune the settings for your devices.

Depending on the quality vs. price ratio of whatever 802.11 a/b/g/n device you decide to purchase, a radical difference in performance can be achieved with an antenna(s) of higher gain. In decibels.

Ask yourself this: Do I really need omnidirectional antennas?

Edit: And if you utilize any coaxial cables on your setup only use the best.

Edited by Talldog9

The internet - Where men are men, women are men and children are FBI agents.

Wireless N cards will pick up G signals, and wireless N routers by default transmit N/G mixed so G cards can use the router too.

The main difference is that G has a smaller AoE (area of effect, as in how far it can transmit) and a lower connectivity (54mbps max)

Wireless N has a broader aoe, and can do 150mbps (if channel mixing is on, it will transmit a 20/40hertz signal allowing for 300mbps on N cards)

Good to hear that N and G cards have the ability to connect with each others routers, but the real benefit in speed seems to be in networking and not the INTERNET. Since I don't network my computers, it wouldn't be beneficial to me. Now if distance was an issue for me, then N might be the solution since it will transmit the signal further.

Thanks again for all your replies.