Microsoft continues trying to kill XP

Winapp2.ini

• Moderators

They cant be expected to support it forever. Looks like they are going to continue to give it security updates though, which is more than what they originally agreed to. At least xp users aren't left to be bombarded with virus problems that would potentially be unblockable without 3rd party software.

Windows Live essentials is one of my favorite features that I've gained since going to win 7. Movie Maker and Mail are amazing. The photo app is great too, but I've been using picasa for so long that I don't want to use anything else.

IE 9 also won't be available for XP.

All programs should drop support for XP. MS and all other software makers who continue to support XP waste time and resources that should be put to better use. 10 years is a long time for an OS to be around.

The big issue with all vendors/devs dropping support for XP is that the user base for software x would also drop considerably. For payware this could be unacceptable.

I guess donations might slow down and hurt freeware and opensource too.

Edited by Talldog9

The internet - Where men are men, women are men and children are FBI agents.

The big issue with all vendors/devs dropping support for XP is that the user base for software x would also drop considerably. For payware this could be unacceptable.

I guess donations might slow down and hurt freeware and opensource too.

That won't last long though. Once XP users have no choice they will change operating systems so they can continue to use the programs they need. The only reason they still hang on to XP is because they can. Once all the programs drop it XP users will upgrade. I am sure there will be people who refuse to but they will be in the minority.

Popular manufacturers that produce commonly used business software will probably hold out the longest due to xp's popularity with businesses and such. At least until xp's end of life.

Microsoft office software will most likely be the exception in an attempt to push consumers to upgrade. Personal computer users will upgrade but big businesses with small budgets or small businesses with no budget will find workarounds or do without new offerings. :o The marketing and advertising by Microsoft may undergo a radical change soon as a result. It will be very interesting either way. The conflict will amuse me. :P

I see an offshoot for security software companies in the future-

'XP Post-support Lifecycle Hardening for Businesses'

The internet - Where men are men, women are men and children are FBI agents.

'XP Post-support Lifecycle Hardening for Businesses'

I've already begun looking for ways to "Run Windows XP from a DVD" or "...from a USB stick". :lol:

I used to work for a government agency. They are beginning the migration to W7, its gonna be a big job. Maybe 150,000 employees, depending on how you count'em. Most know very little about computers, all will need application upgrades, as you say.

Gonna cost a lot. edit: a lot of taxpayers' money. :-(

Edited by login123

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

Thanks much for that. Just finished a bunch of downloads...plugins. Looks like that is just the ticket.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Why not just use a Linux distro on a Flash drive. They are made for that. No jumping through hoops like with Windows.

That is a good idea, Thanks.

Hazelnut put me onto some distros a while back and they were great. Tried Slitaz, SLAX, Puppy 5, couple of others.

I keep telling myself that I'm going to also install one on an old computer I have, just never seem to get around to it. :)

That won't last long though. Once XP users have no choice they will change operating systems so they can continue to use the programs they need. The only reason they still hang on to XP is because they can. Once all the programs drop it XP users will upgrade. I am sure there will be people who refuse to but they will be in the minority.

Well, not all of us hang on it to because we can. For some of us, it's our only choice. There are plenty of poor saps out there, like myself, who simply cannot afford to purchase a new OS. And if all the programs drop XP compatibility and what not, then I guess some of us will be back in the dark ages of no PC at all. Not good if you ask me. :(

I'm here. What are your other two wishes?

Well, not all of us hang on it to because we can. For some of us, it's our only choice. There are plenty of poor saps out there, like myself, who simply cannot afford to purchase a new OS. And if all the programs drop XP compatibility and what not, then I guess some of us will be back in the dark ages of no PC at all. Not good if you ask me. :(

You'll still be able to use old versions.

Piriform French translator

You'll still be able to use old versions.

Yeah but not if you need a new mouse or printer or something. :unsure:

I think when they decide to phase out old OS's, they should provide free upgrade disks to people, or provide a place to bring your PC for a free upgrade. But that would be too easy and not cost effective for them. lol

Hi, LuLu. :D Just today I was wondering where you were...it's been a while. Take a look at that thread in the lounge about Peppermint OS. There are several linux OSs which run fast and have lots of built in features.

There are a couple of threads already on this forum, plenty of discussion there:

Ubuntu

and

Peppermint

Hi, LuLu. :D Just today I was wondering where you were...it's been a while. Take a look at that thread in the lounge about Peppermint OS. There are several linux OSs which run fast and have lots of built in features.

There are a couple of threads already on this forum, plenty of discussion there:

Ubuntu

and

Peppermint

I'm still here. Sort of. lol It's funny you mention this because I was looking at that Peppermint OS link earlier. It looks pretty sweet! If I had a PC that I could tinker on without worry of screwing something up, I'd totally give it a go. I didn't finish reading everything on the site, and this may not even be answered on the site, but I'm wondering what kind of compatibility issues are there with modems and like my iPod software and such. I'll have to keep reading...

Microsoft may have dropped support for XP as a business strategy but for hardware / software vendors they'll still support XP because of the potential market for it

Richard S.

Good point. :)

Are you kidding? :P

Driver backup programs exist for XP. You can run High Def Audio in XP. You can Visual Style XP. XP works with programs that 7 dies on.

What programs are you thinking they will have to upgrade XP to 7 because of? I can't think of any...

The beta of windows live essentials, and presumably the release, require windows 6.x

http://explore.live.com/windows-live-essentials-beta

Tack that on to the list of software microsoft is dropping from the XP scene.

Oh well, never really cared about MS bloat. IE is a walking malware invitation with it's active X vulnerabilities.

I'd never use IE for web surfing anyway. Firefox is much more secure. Office? There is Open Office & it is free!

I can't think of a reason to update. Anything you can do in 7, you can do in XP faster, leaner, & prettier! Of course, the default Visual Style with XP is ugly, but that is why Royal Visual Style in addition to 3rd party ones exist to make XP any way you want.

7 is a joke, & kills programs off with that dreaded error that a program stopped working, blah, blah, then it terminates the program instead of just letting it load. XP never had this problem.

Oh well, never really cared about MS bloat. IE is a walking malware invitation with it's active X vulnerabilities.

I'd never use IE for web surfing anyway. Firefox is much more secure. Office? There is Open Office & it is free!

I can't think of a reason to update. Anything you can do in 7, you can do in XP faster, leaner, & prettier! Of course, the default Visual Style with XP is ugly, but that is why Royal Visual Style in addition to 3rd party ones exist to make XP any way you want.

7 is a joke, & kills programs off with that dreaded error that a program stopped working, blah, blah, then it terminates the program instead of just letting it load. XP never had this problem.

Please either read about IE, ActiveX, Win7, try Win7 with modern programs, and think before posting, or don't post in this thread. Seriously.

Piriform French translator