Microsoft Security Essentials question.

Anomaly

I use Avira Antivir on my Windows machines and really like it. I'm thinking of trying out MSE on one of my machines and have a question. Do you need to to have Windows Updates set to "automatically download and install updates" for MSE to update automatically? I like to set Windows updates to notify me not download and install. I'm hoping you can set Windows Updates to just notify but still have MSE update automatically.

• Moderators

When I used MSE within the past month I had Automatic Updates set to notify and didn't have any updating issues with MSE.

Do note with MSE that it creates a signature file update folder in "C:\Windows\Temp" that must remain or you'll only have nothing but non-stop updating issues until Microsoft fixes the problem. I can't remember the folder name but you'll find it by browsing that Temp folder after the first update. Note that folder must be excluded in CCleaner and any other disk cleaning programs to avoid MSE updating issues!!!

When I used MSE within the past month I had Automatic Updates set to notify and didn't have any updating issues with MSE.

Do note with MSE that it creates a signature file update folder in "C:\Windows\Temp" that must remain or you'll only have nothing but non-stop updating issues until Microsoft fixes the problem. I can't remember the folder name but you'll find it by browsing that Temp folder after the first update. Note that folder must be excluded in CCleaner and any other disk cleaning programs to avoid MSE updating issues!!!

OK, thanks for the info.

I had read some where that if you didn't have Windows updates set to automatically down load and install that MSE would not update automatically. From what

I have read MSE sets your Windows updates to automatically download and install once you install it even if you had set Windows updates to something else.