Recommed a UX theme patcher for XP SP3

Anomaly

I looked at that one but the reviews are horrible. Seems every one is having major problems with it.

As long as it is an MS theme such as Royal or Zune, it should work without needing a patch.

3rd party themes need to be unlocked.

What program are XP SP3 users having good results with for patching the UX theme dll? I have one that worked well on SP2 but it doesn't on SP3.

Do you mean Flyakite's theme patcher? I used it as well for SP2 & it worked great. I tried to email him about making one for SP3 but he appears to be off the web for now.

Meantime, as I suggested below, if it is an MS theme such as Royal or Zune, it should work with no patching.

As long as it is an MS theme such as Royal or Zune, it should work without needing a patch.

3rd party themes need to be unlocked.

I'm aware of that. Thats why I need the patcher. My theme is a not an official MS theme. The patcher I used for SP2 worked perfectly without issue but it's not updated for SP3.

There are many XP users here so I would like to know what they patched with for SP3. There are many patchers out there but some cause more problems then it's worth. I would like to hear from people that have used a patcher with no issues so it's proven to be a good one.

I always manually patch it. I've also set my XP install disk to already be patched with nLite but the following Windows updates replace it.

The internet - Where men are men, women are men and children are FBI agents.

On another note I'm very dissapointed that M$ continues to do the unsigned visual style blocking. I would have thought 7 wouldn't have it. M$ should have learned and not have had it in Vista even. :angry:<_<:angry:

On another note I'm very dissapointed that M$ continues to do the unsigned visual style blocking. I would have thought 7 wouldn't have it. M$ should have learned and not have had it in Vista even. :angry:<_<:angry:

Simple reason : To prevent people from having a completely different user experience, crashes, bugs, et al. when using buggy themes. Patching UXTheme means "I have understood I might run into problems when installing custom themes". ;)

Piriform French translator

Simple reason : To prevent people from having a completely different user experience, crashes, bugs, et al. when using buggy themes. Patching UXTheme means "I have understood I might run into problems when installing custom themes". ;)

Microsoft should have put a non-patching switch somewhere a very basic skill level user wouldn't find it. Failure to do this probably effectively means a violation of something in a EULA somewhere should somebody want to use anything other then the very few styles included in Windows X. Home users don't care but I'm sick and tired of having to see Luna Blue everywhere because corporations and businesses don't want to risk anything. Luna cartoon or grey classic or some derative :blink: .

For example I'm sure at least a few places of business would have preferred the Watercolor visual style had Microsoft included it in the RTM of XP. Vista and 7 suffer less from this IMO since Luna dies but still no switch.

Or maybe it's not a EULA violation....? :D

Microsoft should have put a non-patching switch somewhere a very basic skill level user wouldn't find it. Failure to do this probably effectively means a violation of something in a EULA somewhere should somebody want to use anything other then the very few styles included in Windows X. Home users don't care but I'm sick and tired of having to see Luna Blue everywhere because corporations and businesses don't want to risk anything. Luna cartoon or grey classic or some derative :blink: .

For example I'm sure at least a few places of business would have preferred the Watercolor visual style had Microsoft included it in the RTM of XP. Vista and 7 suffer less from this IMO since Luna dies but still no switch.

Or maybe it's not a EULA violation....? :D

The style I'm currently using has some bugs. The Uninstall button doesn't appear in the Programs&Features control panel, for example. It's not a problem for me since I can right-click something and select Uninstall, but it's a UX change. The average user would be pretty confused, and think it's a Windows bug.

Piriform French translator

The average user would be pretty confused, and think it's a Windows bug.

Hence the need to hide it deep away from the public. Then only somewhat knowledgeable system administrators would enable it and test a theme for usage. A bold warning should accompany the setting in the group policy setting or whatever.

Vista and 7 suffer less from this IMO since Luna dies but still no switch.

No need for it in Windows 7. There are many themes to download and install if you don't like the ones that come with Windows 7. Even better make your own. The color mixer lets me make any color you want and then just add a wallpaper and your done. I feel no need to patch Windows 7 so I can use non MS themes.

I thought 7 themes were just different colors and wallpapers? The ones from Microsoft? Haven't tried anything different yet so I wouldn't know.