An option to avoid UAC Prompt in Vista/Win7

PierreS

Currently, when CCleaner is launched under a login with admin privilege under Vista or Win7, it causes an UAC prompt. Because of this, it's very uncomfortable to launch it for an automatic cleanup at login time (the "Run CCleaner when computer starts" option), simply because you have to be on hand to reply to the prompt instead of being able to do something else while the system initializes.

It would be a good idea to have an option bypass this prompt when CCleaner is launched automatically.

Thank you

"Do not mock the crocodile until you've finished crossing the river" (African proverb)

I don't think UAC can be bypasset, as it is designed to protect the computer from certain behaviour. If Microsoft allow one program to bypass it then Malware authors will follow.

I'm Shane.

Uh...The UAC prompt means "Do you want to give admin rights to this program?". It can't be bypassed - that would render it useless...

I know that. But the autorun option could generate a scheduled task with "maximum privileges" when created for admin users. Such tasks don't cause an UAC prompt. There would only be an UAC prompt when validating the option, which is OK because you're in the middle of an interaction anyway.

Barring that, how about an option to run CCleaner without needing nor requesting admin privileges when run automatically, the way it runs under a "standard" user ID? Some system areas wouldn't be cleaned at login time, but the bulk of temporary data (TIF, Temp, history, cookies…) still would be.

"Do not mock the crocodile until you've finished crossing the river" (African proverb)

But not everyone is conversant with the Vista or W7 task scheduler, for one thing, and it requires creating one task per admin user profile, for another. Having CCleaner take care of the nitty-gritty details would be a big help for a lot of people.

How do I create this scheduled task with maximum privileges created for admin users(I am one on a home pc).

Can you help me do it so I don't have to click yes at the uac at every boot as it is now?

I was up till 1am trying it last night and couldn't get it to work.

Thanks,

Selvan

I know that. But the autorun option could generate a scheduled task with "maximum privileges" when created for admin users. Such tasks don't cause an UAC prompt. There would only be an UAC prompt when validating the option, which is OK because you're in the middle of an interaction anyway.

Barring that, how about an option to run CCleaner without needing nor requesting admin privileges when run automatically, the way it runs under a "standard" user ID? Some system areas wouldn't be cleaned at login time, but the bulk of temporary data (TIF, Temp, history, cookies?) still would be.

How do I create this scheduled task with maximum privileges created for admin users(I am one on a home pc).

Can you help me do it so I don't have to click yes at the uac at every boot as it is now?

I was up till 1am trying it last night and couldn't get it to work.

Thanks,

Selvan

You make my point ;)

When you create a scheduled task, don't use the "Create basic task" dialog. Use the "Create task" one. On the first screen of the dialog you will find the "execute with maximum privileges" checkbox. The rest should be quite straightforward, only more detailed than the "basic" dialog.

If the task has already been created, you can edit its properties, it will use the same detailed dialog.

Caveat: this is only valid for admin users. For a standard user, CCleaner doesn't trigger an UAC prompt, so the scheduled task rigamarole isn't required.

Thanks Pierre,

I think the scheduled task is a great idea whether or not UAC is an issue.

I actually used the basic to run at start-up. But I kept getting this message about how the task could not run because the user was not logged on to the network. In poking around I tried selecting the bullet for 'run whether user is logged on or not' and it works like a champ every time now...Dance_til_ya_can__t_no_moe_by_de_Mote.gif

Uh...The UAC prompt means "Do you want to give admin rights to this program?". It can't be bypassed - that would render it useless...

I disagree. --> It can't be bypassed - that would render it useless...

Windows has a way to bypass the UAC by going to MSCONFIG & running the script to disable UAC, which takes effect on reboot.

If Windows can so easily disable UAC, why can't malware create a script to imitate/emulate the Microsoft one, & just reboot the PC so they have admin access?

Or is there something I am missing here?

I disagree. --> It can't be bypassed - that would render it useless...

Windows has a way to bypass the UAC by going to MSCONFIG & running the script to disable UAC, which takes effect on reboot.

If Windows can so easily disable UAC, why can't malware create a script to imitate/emulate the Microsoft one, & just reboot the PC so they have admin access?

Or is there something I am missing here?

If you have UAC enabled, any program that needs admin privilege will ask for it and abide by your choice. If UAC is disabled, the program will simply run as a standard user and, either fail to install, or get installed in the current user's virtual store folder, where it's effectively sandboxed.

If you have UAC enabled, any program that needs admin privilege will ask for it and abide by your choice. If UAC is disabled, the program will simply run as a standard user and, either fail to install, or get installed in the current user's virtual store folder, where it's effectively sandboxed.

That, I am fully aware of. What I am saying is:

- If windows can bypass UAC by the simple running of a script which can disable it on reboot, then what is to keep malware writers from either coming up with their own UAC script to disable it on reboot, or even call up the Windows own UAC script & auto-reboot the PC?

It would seem to me that if Microsoft is capable of disabling it with so much ease, malware writers could too?

Or am I missing anything here?

Well, AFAIK you can't disable UAC without getting an UAC prompt, at least under Win7. Otherwise this would have been used already by malware writers, wouldn't it? After all, they may be malevolent idiots, but they're not stupid?

By the same token, you can't create a scheduled task with maximum privileges without getting an UAC prompt, unless UAC is already disabled ? and such a task must be provided with an admin login's ID and password to run properly, as it will not run if the admin doesn't have a password.

Well, AFAIK you can't disable UAC without getting an UAC prompt, at least under Win7. Otherwise this would have been used already by malware writers, wouldn't it? After all, they may be malevolent idiots, but they're not stupid?

By the same token, you can't create a scheduled task with maximum privileges without getting an UAC prompt, unless UAC is already disabled ? and such a task must be provided with an admin login's ID and password to run properly, as it will not run if the admin doesn't have a password.

How do you know whether the prompts are stored in the registry?

Did you know? Windows will alert you to whether or not you are using an antivirus, firewall is off, etc. But if you use something like Win Rar SFX maker, you can also get it to do a silent import of the reg keys to silence or turn off those prompts without windows alerting you?

Not sure if this also works in 7, but if it is possible, expect writers to first disable the "ok" button via registry script, or even do an auto-it script capable of clicking "OK" before you even see the window!

I'll just repeat, if it were that easy, it would have been used already by malware writers, wouldn't it? After all, they may be malevolent idiots, but they're not stupid?

Well in my case, I disabled the UAC long ago. For new users, especially when Vista first came out, many people thought of this UAC to be a curse lol, it just asks for this bloody prompt when you try to open a third party program. Many had thought that Vista is so hard to operate because it has this thing called UAC blocking you from making simple decisions such as opening a program. And I think, many, especially the inexperienced type of users haven't found a way to get rid of UAC.

Even on Windows 7, I have it completely disabled.

I love computer maintenance tasks.

Some of my favorite programs:

Wordpad -basic word processing

Notepad - temporary clipboard and basic scripting module

Windows Media Player 12- video, music and online radio player

Windows Media Center - live TV, local FM radio

CCleaner- handy computer maintenance tool

If something fails to work after using the registry cleaner, use SYSTEM RESTORE.

Yes, I have disabled UAC too when I installed vista/7. A lot of people recommend leaving it on for "security" reasons but I think this is bullsh*t. There are some serious security holes in uac. The best thing to do is have a good firewall,antivirus etc and disable uac. This way you are secure and not annoyed by UAC prompting.

well, there are some exploits and methods to silently run elevated code in windows with uac on but I dont think this is the place to discuss such things :rolleyes:. Try google for some answers

I agree this is neither the time nor the place? ;) I thought you were referring to means available to "ordinary" users.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I have disabled UAC too when I installed vista/7. A lot of people recommend leaving it on for "security" reasons but I think this is bullsh*t. There are some serious security holes in uac. The best thing to do is have a good firewall,antivirus etc and disable uac. This way you are secure and not annoyed by UAC prompting.

You are very right! UAC is a joke.

Try downloading Raise My Rights or other programs & see what they do...

There are ways around it, but ahem, try googling, lol!

• 2 weeks later...