Windows Shortcut Vulnerbility

login123

Targets .lnk files, can ride in on USB sticks, you don't have to click anything. Ugh. :blink:

I installed the free tool, it requires no reboot, hasn't seemed to affect this machine's operation. Not going to keep it after restarting, tho.

Info HERE and HERE

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

I guess if you're running HIPS protection like SSM then this exploit is nothing more than a minor inconvenience.

I wonder if this trick works under Guest or GPO controlled accounts. :)

Richard S.

• Moderators

.LNK can open malware.:rolleyes:

The whole USB thing that most antivirus' are doing now can be buggy though. For example a nagging many months long problem I've tracked back to Avast to my best knowledge so I'll blame Avast is when Avast always scans my USB Thumb Drive. I can use the USB Thumb Drive fine and all however when I go to safely remove it whatever Avast has done causes Explorer.exe to crash and immediately restart. That's very annoying since my USB Thumb Drive never has autorun files on it, and is only used on my PC and PS3.

I put "Flash Disinfector" by sUBs on the thumb drive and the bigger usb stand alone hard drive. Everything still works OK, Flash Disinfector is unobtrusive. It fixes an autorun issue, not the .lnk issue, but still seems a good app. Inserts an unremovable autorun.inf file onto the main computer and all attached usb drives.

There is a link to it HERE in post #5 by Byteman.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.