Ccleaner on Windows 2008 R2 server

Hi,

I am not sure if this is a bug or not.

I am user of Ccleaner for some times by now and was surprise to see odd behavior like that.

OS windows standard 2008 R2 edition.

Installation went without any hiccups.

Default settings.

As soon as I run Ccleaner got following.

Program starts and shuts down almost at the same moment.

At best I have 10 seconds to click on any navigation choices.

Any ideas how to fix this.

Thanks

Welcome to the forums.

It sounds to me like the "Close program after cleaning" and/or "Minimize to System Tray" might be checked. Have you looked in the system tray (actually the Notification Area) to see if the CCleaner icon is there? You might check the INI file in the Program Files (x86) / CCleaner folder. If those two entries are checked in the program, they will have the following two entries.

AutoClose=1

MinimizeSystemTray=1

You can remove them and try to open the program again. Then to check the options you can look in the Advanced section to see where they would be checked.

Unless you are running the program with the /AUTO command, I would guess there may be something malicious running on the system.

If you are running with the /AUTO command, then the behavior is normal and the program is closing after cleaning, which is what is supposed to happen.

Please post back to let us know what you find.

None of those conditions apply.

1. I do not have ini file in ccleaners folder at all.Only 2 files and 1 folder there: ccleaner.exe and uninst.exe, folder lang

I install it with default settings so basically how it could get into auto mode?

By the way, I install it on 2003 standard edition server with SP2 - same result. See screen shot how it is look in windows explorer.post-38898-127997641604_thumb.jpg

Are you sure that ccleaner can run on servers?

See here regarding ccleaner working on servers

http://docs.piriform.com/ccleaner/introducing-ccleaner/system-requirements

Looks to me like the systems meet the requirements from the page Hazelnut gave, and she knows her stuff!

alexsts

The auto works manually by starting from the RUN dialog box and using "C:\Program Files\CCleaner\CCleaner.exe /AUTO". But if you are just starting it normally by clicking on an icon then the "/AUTO" would not take affect. I'm a bit stumped and hopefully someone else will come along to make a suggestion.

I would see if turning off the Anti-malware/virus programs makes a difference, of course only after you are sure your system is clean.

Also did you download the program from a good source like, here at Piriform, filehippo, or majorgeeks.com(I know they may not be 'official', but I also know they have good downloads)? I might suggest that you download again and try one of the ones that does not have the toolbar to see if that makes a difference. I don't know why it would, but you never know. Try uninstalling first and then reinstall with the new download. Also did this happen with older versions and what is the latest version that works?

Piriform builds

Filehippo with older versions

Majorgeeks

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, I got it directly from Piriform web site, latest version. Those are 2 brand new servers and Ccleaner never run on either one.

I did shut down all AV soft and disconnected server from network, just in case.

No changes in Ccleaner behavior.

I removed installation via uninstall -> restarted server and manually cleaned registry from any and all remains of Ccleaner first install - just in case.

Re-booted and install again.

No changes!

Could it be some kind of compatibility issue with 64 bit OS? But then again, same behavior apply for 32 bit 2003 server...

• 3 weeks later...

Yes, I got it directly from Piriform web site, latest version. Those are 2 brand new servers and Ccleaner never run on either one.

I did shut down all AV soft and disconnected server from network, just in case.

No changes in Ccleaner behavior.

I removed installation via uninstall -> restarted server and manually cleaned registry from any and all remains of Ccleaner first install - just in case.

Re-booted and install again.

No changes!

Could it be some kind of compatibility issue with 64 bit OS? But then again, same behavior apply for 32 bit 2003 server...

Hello Newbie

I just got the idea to run CCleaner on a 2008 Top DC, with IIS, AC and all the DC {FEATURES} installed. That's how I saw this thread.

I can't tell why you got the error. However I can tell that I have no issues running CCleaner, it's running just fine.

You may be right about the 64 bit thing. I'm running 32 bit OS but 32 software normaly works fine on 64 as You probably already know...

Good luck

Edited by Nergal
Removed semblance of forbidden language. Please next time be more considerate of the words you choose

• 7 years later...

I have a similar problem.  I have CCleaner version 5.42 installed on Windows Server 2008 R2 running inside Oracle VirtualBox.  When I click "Run Cleaner",  It crashes with a pop-up dialog that says "CCleaner has stopped working.  Windows can check online for a solution to the problem..."  If I drop back to version 5.41, it runs without a problem.

• Guest locked this topic
Guest Stephen CCleaner

This is an old thread from 2010. Unlikely that the latest issue with Server 2008 is related, so I'm closing this.