XP SP2 is dead.

Aethec

The extended support for XP SP2 finished today.

Now we'll have to wait until 2014 to finally see XP die forever...even though I don't think the number of people using XP in 2014 will be as big as it is now.:)

Piriform French translator

I don't see the big deal anyway you can still get Service Pack 3 for XP.

The big day for me is when XP gets dropped totally and it's Hasta La Vista. :D

I doubt much would happen hardcore users will still be running NT4, 98 and XP etc.

It will be the fools panic buying Windows 7 when there's nothing wrong with their machines.

Richard S.

The extended support for XP SP2 finished today.

Windows 2000 is also dead. :( Looks like I'll have to finally take my old old laptop offline for good. I'm just not willing to use an unpatched computer online.

Dell Latitude D600

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1

follow_me-c.png

• Moderators

It will be the fools panic buying Windows 7 when there's nothing wrong with their machines.

Yeah, and only for it to be unsupported shortly afterwords.

As long as they offer security updates to XP SP3, and my PC keeps running I'll just stick with XP.

@ Andavari:

"As long as they offer security updates to XP SP3, and my PC keeps running I'll just stick with XP."

Same here, Andavari. Will use XP until it is completely un-workable, say around 15 years from now. :P I am now in the process of trying to figure out the most efficient way to get xp sp3 set up like I like it, and keep it. It has slowed down considerably since the last reinstallation, no bugs, just slow.

Right now, this seems like the best method, but I would sure would welcome any suggestions...

1. a reinstall from the oem disks,

2. then install sp3 from a disk

3. then get rid of the oem junk (norton, those darned games, etc),

4. then install & update the useful apps

5. then use windows update to get the rest of the updates

6. then image the hard drive using Macrium or something like it and save the image.

7. then image the hard drive again if some new important change comes along.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

@ Andavari:

"As long as they offer security updates to XP SP3, and my PC keeps running I'll just stick with XP."

Same here, Andavari. Will use XP until it is completely un-workable, say around 15 years from now. :P I am now in the process of trying to figure out the most efficient way to get xp sp3 set up like I like it, and keep it. It has slowed down considerably since the last reinstallation, no bugs, just slow.

Right now, this seems like the best method, but I would sure would welcome any suggestions...

6. then image the hard drive using Macrium or something like it and save the image.

My XP machine is about five years since I installed XP on it and it runs as good as the day I installed it. I have to wonder what you are doing to slow XP down. One thing I do is use as many portable apps as possible. This really cuts down on the garbage that gets installed and messes up the registry.

As for you XP hanger ons get serious. Windows 7 is a huge improvement. Don't give me the BS about money either. Some of you are talking about using XP until it's cancelled so you expect me or anybody to believe you won't have the money to get a new machine sometime in the next 15 years? Bull. The price of computers now is so cheap it's not an issue and even if it is in the short term I'm sure between now and when XP is discontinued you will be able to save enough. I think it' just plain laziness. You can't be bothered to learn a new OS so you stagnate. Your loss if you choose to become a fossil.

XP SP3 extended support will end in 2014. I hope everyone here has got enough money to buy a new computer before 2014...

Andavari >> Win7 will be supported for a long time...maybe not 13 years like XP, but for a long time.

• Moderators

Anomoly in the current financial climate where people have to make decisions daily on how to manage their dwindling finances, getting a windows 7 computer just doesn't figure in the options at all.

Accept that some folk are in dire financial circumstances and unemployment is rife. Don't confuse this with laziness.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Anomoly in the current financial climate where people have to make decisions daily on how to manage their dwindling finances, getting a windows 7 computer just doesn't figure in the options at all.

Accept that some folk are in dire financial circumstances and unemployment is rife. Don't confuse this with laziness.

Yeah that would account for not getting Windows 7 now. The problem is some of the people in this thread are insisting that they will stick with XP until it's discontinued. That's FIFTEEN years from now. So money is not the issue is it. Do you honestly expect me to believe they won't be able to scrape together a couple hundred dollars in fifteen years? It's a cop out and I think you know it. They don't want to admit they can't be bothered to learn a new OS and that's exactly what the reason is. Now days cost is not an issue for getting a computer. You can get a used one if your that hard up and it would be better than the relic your running XP on. No it's more than money keeping them with XP. MS messed up when they went so long between XP and Vista. They should not have waited that long. They have created a lot of mentally lazy people in the process. They should just kill XP off and put all their resources in making a better OS instead of waisting them on XP to accommodate people that can't be bothered to learn.

• Moderators

If you have an actual install CD, maybe give nLite a try. That was possibly the best thing I did since it allows you to slipstream the original install CD setup files with the SP3 update files, tell it what you want installed, what services you want turned off, etc., then burn your own XP install CD/DVD so when you install from its install CD/DVD it automatically installs as SP3.

Edit:

Of course if you make an image backup immediately afterwords reinstalling the OS should be a thing of the long forgotten past!

Yeah that would account for not getting Windows 7 now. The problem is some of the people in this thread are insisting that they will stick with XP until it's discontinued. That's FIFTEEN years from now. So money is not the issue is it. Do you honestly expect me to believe they won't be able to scrape together a couple hundred dollars in fifteen years? It's a cop out and I think you know it. They don't want to admit they can't be bothered to learn a new OS and that's exactly what the reason is. Now days cost is not an issue for getting a computer. You can get a used one if your that hard up and it would be better than the relic your running XP on. No it's more than money keeping them with XP. MS messed up when they went so long between XP and Vista. They should not have waited that long. They have created a lot of mentally lazy people in the process. They should just kill XP off and put all their resources in making a better OS instead of waisting them on XP to accommodate people that can't be bothered to learn.

Not fifteen. Four.

Not fifteen. Four.

I was referring to Login 123's post in which he said he would keep using XP for 15 years until it was unworkable but I won't argue.Lets say it's four years. The price of computers especially used ones is so cheap if you stick with XP it's because you choose to not because of money. In four years anybody not living in a third world country can save up to buy a computer so the not having money thing is BS. People aren't switching because their lazy. That includes IT departments that don't want the hassle of switching so don't because MS keeps XP around. This hurts all of us in the long run. How? Because MS has to allocate resources to maintaining XP. Resources that could be used to develop better software. Instead it's wasted on keeping XP alive. The end result is the people not willing to change drag every body down with them. MS just needs to get a spine and cut the XP crowd loose. What are the XP users going to do in protest stop using computers? Not likely. Change OS's and go to Linux or Mac? That's a joke. These people can't be bothered to learn Windows 7 there is no way they will put the effort into learning a whole new platform. No the likely out come is if MS kills XP these heel daggers on XP will upgrade and that's that. Then MS can concentrate on moving forward instead of accommodating fossils.

Money isn't a issue for me and no I'm not lazy either, I just don't see the point in switching over to Windows 7 with it's fancy graphics when XP does everything I need.

Microsoft is a money making business so it's understandable support for old Operating Systems gets dropped but that doesn't mean my computer is now past it.

I think most will panic over the lack of Windows updates more than anything else but to be honest if you run good AV / Firewall software then you have nothing to fear.

XP - "If it ain't broke don't fix". :D

Richard S.

I was referring to Login 123's post in which he said he would keep using XP for 15 years until it was unworkable but I won't argue.Lets say it's four years. The price of computers especially used ones is so cheap if you stick with XP it's because you choose to not because of money. In four years anybody not living in a third world country can save up to buy a computer so the not having money thing is BS. People aren't switching because their lazy. That includes IT departments that don't want the hassle of switching so don't because MS keeps XP around. This hurts all of us in the long run. How? Because MS has to allocate resources to maintaining XP. Resources that could be used to develop better software. Instead it's wasted on keeping XP alive. The end result is the people not willing to change drag every body down with them. MS just needs to get a spine and cut the XP crowd loose. What are the XP users going to do in protest stop using computers? Not likely. Change OS's and go to Linux or Mac? That's a joke. These people can't be bothered to learn Windows 7 there is no way they will put the effort into learning a whole new platform. No the likely out come is if MS kills XP these heel daggers on XP will upgrade and that's that. Then MS can concentrate on moving forward instead of accommodating fossils.

To the part highlighted in bold: That's true.

But then, you say that they are lazy. <_< Some people aren't switching because they don't want to. It's their decision of what they want to do with their computer. There's no need to say that people are lazy just because they aren't willing to switch. Computers aren't the life of everyone, and for most people, their money isn't focused on getting the latest operating systems or the most high end computers. It's focused on things going on in their life. :)

Anyway, you seem kind of mad at the people that are sticking with XP.

To the part highlighted in bold: That's true.

But then, you say that they are lazy. <_< Some people aren't switching because they don't want to. It's their decision of what they want to do with their computer. There's no need to say that people are lazy just because they aren't willing to switch. Computers aren't the life of everyone, and for most people, their money isn't focused on getting the latest operating systems or the most high end computers. It's focused on things going on in their life. :)

I'm saying they are lazy. Thats the main reason they don't switch. The part of my quote you high lighted says that. They aren't switching and the reason they aren't is because they are lazy.

Anyway, you seem kind of mad at the people that are sticking with XP.

Annoyed that they look for any excuse to stagnate. I know many people still using XP. In fact still using IE 6. Money is not their problem. Having to use their brain is the problem. Can't be bothered to learn anything. Sit in front of the computer hours at a time blankly staring at the monitor playing moron games. Some of them have been using computers for a decade or more and don't know any more now than they knew 10 years ago. When they have a problem they come crying to me. When I try to show them how to fix what are very basic issues they can't be bothered to watch and learn. They just want you to fix it so they can go back to be total jerk offs and play their idiotic games. I'm sure everybody here knows some one like that. Well MS needs to cut this dead weight loose. I have started to. It's time these people realize computers are a major part of life and society now. I would say not being able to use a computer is almost as bad as being illiterate today and it will become even more important as time goes on.

• Moderators

Anomaly back off a bit, your comments border on offensive at times.

They just want you to fix it so they can go back to be total jerk offs

Having to use their brain is the problem

You have everyone tagged with the same label..lazy if they don't use Windows 7.

Please see your pm's.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Anomaly back off a bit, your comments border on offensive at times.

You have everyone tagged with the same label..lazy if they don't use Windows 7.

Please see your pm's.

Hey, this turned heated didn't it?

Thanks, Andavari, I shall indeed try out nlite. Might be that having obtained Acronis at a good price (via a link in this forum, thanks) will prove to be the quickest route, but I'll sure try nlite.

Anomaly, I am not sure what slows this computer down. I install, try out, and remove lots of stuff, that might be it. I usually use some virtualizer App like Powershadow or Timefreeze to avoid changes to the kernel or the registry...but sometimes not. Anyhow, it has indeed slowed up. This last slowdown started after waaay too much partitioning, that's probably be the cause.

Redhawk, wish I had said that: "...I just don't see the point in switching over to Windows 7..." Win 7 offers nothing that I need. Some aspects are new and nifty, but I don't need them nor care about them. However, I will admit to being as lazy as a pig in a pie factory. :P

I have a friend who has little wipers on the headlights of his expensive car. He thinks he NEEDS them. I just never have felt like I need windshield wipers on my headlights. No offense to those who simply must have them. :) (Hope he doesn't read this)

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Anomaly, I am not sure what slows this computer down. I install, try out, and remove lots of stuff, that might be it. I usually use some virtualizer App like Powershadow or Timefreeze to avoid changes to the kernel or the registry...but sometimes not. Anyhow, it has indeed slowed up. This last slowdown started after waaay too much partitioning, that's probably be the cause.

That wouldn't help any that's for sure.

Redhawk, wish I had said that: "...I just don't see the point in switching over to Windows 7..." Win 7 offers nothing that I need. Some aspects are new and nifty, but I don't need them nor care about them. However, I will admit to being as lazy as a pig in a pie factory. :P

Need it? If you look at it that way you could say you don't need XP either or even 2000. You could get by on Windows 98 or even 95 or something like that. I know people that do and they say the same thing as you. They say XP doesn't have anything they need. I think you see where this is going. It's not need that drives improvement it's the desire to better your situation that does. Everybody is being held back by the people that refuse to better themselves. MS needs to fix this and the sooner the better.

Thought maybe Aethec's thread would get some action. Good one.

I have been computering (izzat a word?) since before windows. Then win 3.0 or 3.1, don't remember, then win 95, win 98. Skipped win me, win vista, some of the more obscure others. Still have copies of most of those, plus OS2 <_< . Now at win xp and holding...

Interesting quote from Hazelnut's link: "..[Microsoft] acknowledged that 74% of business computers still run XP." XP is pretty good, now, and business guys who think about the bottom line want to stay with it, I guess.

No offense meant nor taken respecting users who always use the new and improved versions, but historically every new OS from microsoft has needed tuning. Not their fault, probably, with their market share, they're a big target. Still, its a pretty good "business model": release the software, get the consumer to pay for it and then also tune it up.

May I suggest a good "User Model": wait till its tuned up, then get it. Certainly there is some value to being adventurous, trying out new stuff, etc, and if you enjoy it, go for it. But I try to avoid letting anyone persuade me that I NEED to change or am technically retarded if I don't. I already know that. :lol:

Thought maybe Aethec's thread would get some action. Good one.

I have been computering (izzat a word?) since before windows. Then win 3.0 or 3.1, don't remember, then win 95, win 98. Skipped win me, win vista, some of the more obscure others. Still have copies of most of those, plus OS2 <_< . Now at win xp and holding...

Interesting quote from Hazelnut's link: "..[Microsoft] acknowledged that 74% of business computers still run XP." XP is pretty good, now, and business guys who think about the bottom line want to stay with it, I guess.

No offense meant nor taken respecting users who always use the new and improved versions, but historically every new OS from microsoft has needed tuning. Not their fault, probably, with their market share, they're a big target. Still, its a pretty good "business model": release the software, get the consumer to pay for it and then also tune it up.

May I suggest a good "User Model": wait till its tuned up, then get it. Certainly there is some value to being adventurous, trying out new stuff, etc, and if you enjoy it, go for it. But I try to avoid letting anyone persuade me that I NEED to change or am technically retarded if I don't. I already know that. :lol:

I am not one of those people that has to have the newest and have it right now. Far from it. I always lag behind and wait for the bugs to be worked out. I'm still using Mac OS 10.5 Leopard I have not upgraded to 10.6 Snow leopard. I skipped Vista. The XP situation is a totally different thing. We are talking bout a 10 year old OS. That is insane. There is waiting for the bugs to be worked out and than there is just no excuse like with XP.

Windows 7 is very stable. The Windows 7 service pack 1 that is coming out doesn't have anything significant in it except it adds all the Windows updates that have been released since Windows 7 has been out. This is because the bugs where in Vista and fixed in 7. I waited a while after 7 was released and read the reports and there where very few complaints so I than updated since XP is simply way past it's prime. I have to say 7 is much better in every way to XP.

As for the businesses that are still on XP they are just as bad as anybody else with the heel dragging. Most of them force their employees to use IE so what does that tell you? It's just ignorance and laziness. I'm not saying update every single time but XP is a decade old and Windows 7 is not Vista and is a very nice OS.

Anyway, in four years no program will be supporting XP.

IE 9 won't support it. The Windows Live Essentials won't support it, including Messenger which is widely used. Firefox won't support it for all eternity, especially if they are planning to use D2D - since it isn't supported in XP, maintaining two different rendering engines, one for XP and the other for Vista/7, will be a nightmare. I highly doubt the next version of Office will support it. Nor will freeware like Paint.NET. That is already a lot, in terms of market share.

Besides, the benefits of using Win7 aren't simply fancy graphics.

Anomaly >> Companies staying with XP is neither ignorance nor laziness. It's called compatibility. And money. Most companies just can't afford re-creating all their internal apps, which often were built for IE 6 and IE 6 only.