McAfee and Ccleaner

Muzy

Hello Community,

I don't really know whats going with latest few updates of Ccleaner or McAfee file scan.

It all happened after upgrade to latest CC_version; Something in the system (I believe McAfee) will not install any of the files ,

the only files contained inside the installation folder is the .dll

lang-xxxx.dll

thats it

oh and the unist.exe

????

I am not sure ?

Anyone have this issue.

Note: can't disable McAfee because of company policy...

Regards,

Muzy

Hello Community,

I don't really know whats going with latest few updates of Ccleaner or McAfee file scan.

It all happened after upgrade to latest CC_version; Something in the system (I believe McAfee) will not install any of the files ,

the only files contained inside the installation folder is the .dll

lang-xxxx.dll

thats it

oh and the unist.exe

????

I am not sure ?

Anyone have this issue.

Note: can't disable McAfee because of company policy...

Regards,

Muzy

unhelpful and unnecessary comment removed by moderator

No fate but what we make

• Moderators

This is just an assumption but perhaps your McAfee updating issues are related to a cookie being deleted by CCleaner. This would be noticeable if McAfee requires you to be logged into your licensed account to receive updates.

What was the previous version of CCleaner before trying to upgrade to 2.33?

Since around version 2.29, CCleaner is "phoning home" during the installation (to confirm that you indeed install the latest version). If that "phone home" call cannot be completed (by your firewall, McAfee?), then the installation may not complete.

Can you check the firewall and McAfee logs to see if that connection was perhaps intercepted?

I think the OP is stating that McAfee may be preventing the installation of CCleaner.

If so, you may want to report this at their forum.

Can you use the Portable version of CCleaner?

BTW...Welcome to the forum Muzy.

Thanks,

I can't install it its exactly the same behavior, only the lang.dll are getting installed /showing in the folder :(

What was the previous version of CCleaner before trying to upgrade to 2.33?

Since around version 2.29, CCleaner is "phoning home" during the installation (to confirm that you indeed install the latest version). If that "phone home" call cannot be completed (by your firewall, McAfee?), then the installation may not complete.

Can you check the firewall and McAfee logs to see if that connection was perhaps intercepted?

From 2.32.1165 to 2.33.1184,

I have tried every single version even 2.00.500, its the same behavior...

when I click on show details (during installation), its extrating everything .exe ...etc i can see it in the output window. but the folder is empty...

So you think i should open up a thread at McAfee ?

Please note that you DO NOT INSTALL a Portable application.

You simply un-zip it and run it.

If that fails, get a friend to download the portable version and unzip it onto a flash drive.

You should then be able to plug the flash drive into your P.C. and run CCleaner from the flash drive.

After that you may be able to simply use Windows Explorer copy the entire CCleaner folder from the Flash to your system drive (or any other partition) and run CCleaner from there - then you no longer need the flash drive.

Alan

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

the Unwanted programs detection is checked in the McAfee On Access Scan Properties => Default Processes => tab Scan Items. This also prevents running the portable version of CCleaner. As soon as you connect the USB Stick the ccleaner.exe is gone/quarantined.

In the McAfee On Access Scan Properties => Default Processes => tab Exclusions you could exclude the CCleaner installation directory from this detection.

As my McAfee is a company install, where I don't have any access to the settings, I've checked the existing exlusions, found a directory, which didn't even exist (c:\views*), and just installed CCleaner in there and CCleaner finally started.

xingo