Temp directory still has 11.3MB in it

dvmphd

Since my desktop has been getting slower and slower (system resources only 23% free), I decided to run the latest and greatest version of CCleaner (v 1.24.180). Afterwards, my temp directory still contains 101 files comprising 11.3 MB with a bushel full of *.tmp files that are very similarly labeled:

CSDF03E801-3FFA-11DA-9C30-00A0D2107935.tmp

Many of the *.tmp files are 0 bytes but some contain 2330 KB. What are these files being generated from and how do I delete them since I "cannot delete" and "access is denied"

Hi dvmphd;

Wild guess here, but are you running Webroot SpySweeper Ver 4.0? If so, Webroot borrows the Temp folder for storage of it's Real Time Protection "shields" Pretty non-standard, but otherwise a great product. The reason I can't really compare your report to my system is that I've upgraded to Version 4.5 and now get a few hundred more of these :( But the upgrade is free :D

Take a look here if you have SpySweeper running, and relax :)

http://castlecops.com/f163-Spysweeper.html

Regards, Dave_M

Hi dvmphd;

Wild guess here, but are you running Webroot SpySweeper Ver 4.0?  If so, Webroot borrows the Temp folder for storage of it's Real Time Protection "shields"  Pretty non-standard, but otherwise a great product.  The reason I can't really compare your report to my system is that I've upgraded to Version 4.5 and now get a few hundred more of these  :(  But the upgrade is free  :D 

Take a look here if you have SpySweeper running, and relax :)

http://castlecops.com/f163-Spysweeper.html

Regards, Dave_M

Hi Dave_M:

You hit the nail on the head!

I am running Webroot SpySweeper Ver 4.0.4 and when I closed the program and rebooted my PC, the temp directory was completely empty upon re-inspection!

What started me looking in the temp directory originally was that I have been trying to LiveUpdate Norton SystemWorks Premier 2005 for a couple of weeks now. At some point, I got a "LU1803" update error. Part of the recommended fix for this bugware from Symantec was to clean out the temp directory. So I used CCleaner to attempt to accomplish this task. But, as I described, I was left with 101 files in my temp directory comprising 11.3MB. Hence my post in this forum yesterday! And maybe it's good that I have documented these findings here because a search of google.com for the *.tmp files turned up nothing!

Thanx for your help!