CCleaner won't run on startup under Windows 7

So it just won't run on startup? Can you run it normally though?. If it still doesn't work try startup manager. http://startupmanager.org/ After you have downloaded it and installed, run the program and find CCleaner on the list. If it's not there click "Add" in top left corner and just find the CCleaner.exe path (not the shortcut).

Thanks for your reply, Lyronx.

CCleaner works perfectly once the computer has booted (although Windows does ask if I want to allow it to modify my computer), but just doesn't run on startup.

I have installed startupmanager (thanks for the link) and CCleaner was already on the list, with its box ticked and the flag /AUTO. I have rebooted the computer, but no difference.

• Moderators

on windows7 and vista, ccleaner requires UAC permission. It could be that during the boot process the UAC prompt is being minimized (check your notification area for an icon that says something like "some programs could not be started")

There are a couple ways around this. The first (I DO NOT SUGGEST THIS) is to lower the level of your UAC. Please don't turn of UAC but lowering the level may be a fix.

The second is to create a scheduled task. I'll have to search the exact task setup later but it's out there on the web (and in this forum) if you find it first.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Hello, Nergal.

When I was using CCleaner under Vista, I did get a message that UAC permission was needed and was able to click and force CCleaner to run. But under W7 I don't get that message.

No, I am not going to lower the level of the UAC, but haven't tried to set up a scheduled task. See if you can find how to do this before I do !!

BW

Philip

Ooh, aah !! I think I've done it.

I went to "help & support", searched for "schedule task" and opened the "task scheduler".

I then "created a basic task", adding the /AUTO flag (was that necessary?). I can't recreate what I did without making a new task, but, at some point, I was offered the chance of "granting the highest privileges" or suchlike.

On rebooting the computer, I couldn't see anything happening, but getting CCleaner to analyse manually it found nothing to delete. So that looks like SUCCESS !!!!

Thanks to Lyronx and Nergal (where do you get those names from?) for your help.