Monitor not powering up

Fluffy

Any ideas anyone why sometimes when i turn my computer on,the monitor doesn`t power up, and stays in "standby" mode?

When this happens i have to press the reset button on the computer then i get the monitor stanby button turning green and it coming on..it`s not everytime..

I would not know where to start to look in the bowels of the computer system what part tells the monitor to wake up !!

My monitor is dell e173fp on nvidia geforce fx 5600

(it would be nice if on speccy if you could righthand click, copy and paste direct from speccy !!!)

Fluffy

Any ideas anyone why sometimes when i turn my computer on,the monitor doesn`t power up, and stays in "standby" mode?

When this happens i have to press the reset button on the computer then i get the monitor stanby button turning green and it coming on..it`s not everytime..

I would not know where to start to look in the bowels of the computer system what part tells the monitor to wake up !!

My monitor is dell e173fp on nvidia geforce fx 5600

(it would be nice if on speccy if you could righthand click, copy and paste direct from speccy !!!)

Fluffy

Fluffy some 15 months ago a similar occurrence happened with me, I was lucky enough to have a spare Monitor which I used as a test to isolate the problem, i.e. was it the Monitor, Video card, cables, PC etc. The replacement Monitor solved the problem, it worked OK. So this meant that my original Monitor with the switch problem was quickly sent away for repairs. A BenQ with 3 year warranty, so it was returned in full working order, the problem turned out to be a "faulty on/off" switch on the Monitor.

So, do you have a spare Monitor to change over with?

Always With Kind Regards

Tasgandy

"one is never too old to listen & learn"

The monitor goes into standby mode when it's switched on and detected no video signal.

Since hitting reset corrects the problem it seems unlikely there's a fault in the cable.

I'm wondering if somehow the PC or graphics card isn't ticking over correctly when turned on.

Are you sure the PC is running i.e. flashing keyboard lights "beep" from the speaker etc.??

Richard S.

G'Day Tasgandy

I didn`t have a second monitor to try but I think Redhawk has hit on the problem in that as a habit I was turning on my computer then the monitor ! I have now reversed this so the monitor is first and then the computer ,I haven`t to date (and touch wood) had the problem ! I`m assuming that if on some occaisons i wasn`t quick enough with the monitor it would miss its message from the computer..........well I let you know if it fails !

Thanks guys

Fluffy

G'Day Tasgandy

I didn`t have a second monitor to try but I think Redhawk has hit on the problem in that as a habit I was turning on my computer then the monitor ! I have now reversed this so the monitor is first and then the computer ,I haven`t to date (and touch wood) had the problem ! I`m assuming that if on some occaisons i wasn`t quick enough with the monitor it would miss its message from the computer..........well I let you know if it fails !

Thanks guys

Fluffy

Good to see that all is now OK. Personally when I turn my PC off, the monitor screen is also turned off, well put into stand-by mode I suppose, I do not physically "push" the on/off switch of the monitor. So no problems with monitors when I power up the PC.

Always With Kind Regards

Tasgandy

• 2 weeks later...

Rats !!! It`s happening again ! even when i have my monitor switched on before i switch the computer on,the monitor is not powering up and i`ve noticed the keyboard light doesn`t either......I have to press the reset button..

I`m asking for any more ideas ! My graphic card drivers are up to date i believe

Fluffy

Does your speaker go beep beep beep when your machine fails to start??

I guess there's very little else to check after all your machine works after hitting reset. :\

You could try and unplug the PC over night, re-sit the RAM, re-sit the graphics card, and "Clear CMOS" (via on board jumper).

Richard S.

Rats !!! It`s happening again ! even when i have my monitor switched on before i switch the computer on,the monitor is not powering up and i`ve noticed the keyboard light doesn`t either......I have to press the reset button..

I`m asking for any more ideas ! My graphic card drivers are up to date i believe

Fluffy

As Redhawk asks, does your PC make a "beeping" sound when you first switch on the power?

If so you need to count (very carefully) the exact number of "beeps". So how many "beeps"?

Error reporting

BIOS POST card for ISA bus

BIOS POST card for PCI bus.

Professional BIOS POST card for PCI bus.

A word of caution - POST beep codes

Manufacturers do not all use the same beeps codes and do not seem to observe any standard. It is important before attempting to fix a problem to search for specific information relating to your motherboard and BIOS version. Failure to do this can result in serious damage to a system, as well as wasting time and money.

Original IBM POST beep codes

* 1 short beep - Normal POST - system is OK

* 2 short beeps - POST error - error code shown on screen

* No beep - Power supply, system board problem, disconnected cpu, or disconnected speaker,

* Continuous beep - Power supply, system board, or keyboard problem

* Repeating short beeps - Power supply or system board problem or keyboard

* 1 long, 1 short beep - System board problem

* 1 long, 2 short beeps - Display adapter problem (MDA, CGA)

* 1 long, 3 short beeps - Enhanced Graphics Adapter (EGA)

* 3 long beeps - 3270 keyboard card

POST AMI BIOS beep codes

* 1 - Memory refresh timer error

* 2 - Parity error in base memory (first 64 KiB block)

* 3 - Base memory read/write test error

* 4 - Mother board timer not operational

* 5 - Processor failure

* 6 - 8042 Gate A20 test error (cannot switch to protected mode)

* 7 - General exception error (processor exception interrupt error)

* 8 - Display memory error (system video adapter)

* 9 - AMI BIOS ROM checksum error

* 10 - CMOS shutdown register read/write error

* 11 - Cache memory test failed

* 12 - continue beep sound --- it indicate that the board is not getting ram chip

Reference: AMIBIOS8 Check Point and Beep Code List, version 2.0, last updated 10 June 2008

POST beep codes on CompTIA A+ Hardware Core exam

These POST beep codes are covered specifically on the CompTIA A+ Core Hardware Exam:

Beeps Meaning

Steady, short beeps Power supply may be bad

Long continuous beep tone Memory failure

Steady, long beeps Power supply bad

No beep Power supply bad, system not plugged in, or power not turned on

No beep If everything seems to be functioning correctly there may be a problem with the 'beeper' itself. The system will normally beep one short beep.

One long, two short beeps Video card failure

So Fluffy we need to start with the number of "beeps", and the pattern.

Always With Kind Regards

Tasgandy

Hi guys 1

I didn`t reliase the beeps meant something !!.Well when everything starts up fine,i get one beep then everthing fires up ok.

When my computer doesn`t start.I get no beep (or beeps,)sometimes even the reset button doesn`t get the one beep either i have to try that a few times.When i do press either the reset or main on button,the power light comes on my external hardrive,the dvd player and cd drive light flashes.but not the montitor or keyboard.the external speakers have their own power button.I have noticed as well that two little lights below the main switch,with a lightbulb symbol and a drum like symbol they no longer light up even when my machine is working fine.I`m wondering if this is indicating its to do with the mechanics of the actual switch? I`ve had the machine a few years now....I`m just dreading that one time i try and switch on it`s not going to work !

F

As long as the machine is running okay then one beep is normal it's only multiple beeps you should worry about.

This external hard drive you have connected is it powered via the USB or does it have it's own power supply??

Do you have any other external devices connected to your machine??

Unfortunately there's nothing much to go on I guess the power supply could be temperamental however if I recall correctly this was installed to replace a broken one not so long ago. :\

Richard S.

Hi guys 1

I didn`t reliase the beeps meant something !!.Well when everything starts up fine,i get one beep then everthing fires up ok.

When my computer doesn`t start.I get no beep (or beeps,)sometimes even the reset button doesn`t get the one beep either i have to try that a few times.When i do press either the reset or main on button,the power light comes on my external hardrive,the dvd player and cd drive light flashes.but not the montitor or keyboard.the external speakers have their own power button.I have noticed as well that two little lights below the main switch,with a lightbulb symbol and a drum like symbol they no longer light up even when my machine is working fine.I`m wondering if this is indicating its to do with the mechanics of the actual switch? I`ve had the machine a few years now....I`m just dreading that one time i try and switch on it`s not going to work !

F

Fluffy when things like this happen for me or my clients I always need to go back to basics.

Disconnect anything not required to make the PC boot up, just leaving the CPU, RAM, the boot HDD, keyboard, graphics card and the monitor.

Firstly disconnect / unplug all other external devices and other internal HDD's if your system has 2 or more physical HDD's.

This is a fairly standard way of troubleshooting adhoc/intermittent boot up issues. To disconnect a physical HDD (last item to be disconnected) just remove the internal power cable from where it plugs into the HDD.

If all works well once you have successfully booted up the PC with the basics (CPU, RAM, the boot HDD, keyboard, graphics card and the monitor) you could then commence re-connecting / plugging in "ONE by ONE" each of the devices that you have removed, and try to boot up the PC to check which device (if any) may be the cause of the problem. So re-connect one device, boot the PC, if it works, re-connect another device and boot up again, etc.

NB: I would only perform the above once you have (as Redhawk suggested) "re seated" all your internal cables, RAM, Video card etc.

If all else fails and you have had the power supply replaced (and you do not have another Monitor to test with your PC......try to borrow one), you could try taking the PC back to the Tech's that fitted the replacement power supply and tell them that you still have the same issue that existed prior to them fitting the new power supply, "can you please assist me?"

Let us know how you go Fluffy.

Always With Kind Regards

Tasgandy

Could it be a faulty graphics card???

If you have your monitor plugged into a video card, try plugging the monitor to the standard built in graphics adapter.

I am also experiencing problems comparable to yours. I had mine plugged into a 2 year old Nvidia video card. Sometimes when I boot my PC, my monitor would stay in standby mode with an orange light, instead of green when its turning on normally. I can hear the Windows log on sound but the monitor stays in standby, so I had to plug to it the default adapter and it would turn on and I can see the display, then reboot the PC and plug it back to the video card.

In your case, you may have a faulty cable, faulty graphics adapter/video card, or faulty monitor. I couldn't say if it is a problem with outdated video drivers too though....

I love computer maintenance tasks.

Some of my favorite programs:

Wordpad -basic word processing

Notepad - temporary clipboard and basic scripting module

Windows Media Player 12- video, music and online radio player

Windows Media Center - live TV, local FM radio

CCleaner- handy computer maintenance tool

If something fails to work after using the registry cleaner, use SYSTEM RESTORE.

Hi Guys,sorry for not coming back to you sooner,I`ve been doing a few tests !

I`m about less than 50% on my monitor and keyboard firing up when i switch on,i say it can and is sporadic but getting worse

I have ,external harddrive ,printer,speakers,monitor and broadband (speedtouch)thingy,thats connected to the computer via usb and then to telephone line,

Tas i`ve tried the disconnection of these things but no luck in changing anything,

Redhawk I`m interested in the re seating the graphics card etc,does this mean litteratly taking the back on the machine an locating it? a little nervous that i might completely cause more damage if i do`nt know what i`m doing !!

The powersupply unit (at the back with the fan)was replaced a few weeks ago after my computer would just shut down,that`s working fine

It is as if the computer is firing up i can hear workings inside,indicating that power is getting to the machine,as i said the cd/dvd drives all light up,what doesn`t come on is the keyboard,monitor and I`ve noticed the broadband thingy,sorry i`m not sure what they call it

And Ishi it does sound similar to your problem ! My nvidia card is probably as old as you !

I`m sorry but i don`t undesrtand how to plug the monitor to the standard built in graphics adapter

As you might see from my reply i`m not a computer wizz by any means but i do try and listen and learn

and i respect you all for the help you give ;)

EDIT: I have been given some great info on installing a graphics card so Fluff is up for reseating the card if there are any tips !!

Hi Guys,sorry for not coming back to you sooner,I`ve been doing a few tests !

EDIT: I have been given some great info on installing a graphics card so Fluff is up for re-seating the card if there are any tips !!

Yes Fluffy go here first and please read:

Re seat video card

Although this shows how to remove an old video card and install a new one, reading this Fluffy, will guide you how to remove your existing card and re-fit / re-seat your existing card.

How old is your PC / Motherboard?

Ishi is referring to the fact that some motherboards come with a "on-board" Video card, (integral in the motherboard) the connector "D" shaped and normally "blue" in colour (looks exactly the same as the blue "D" connector on your installed NVIDIA Video card). If your motherboard has one you can do as Ishi suggests unplug the cable from the NVIDIA and connect to the other one.

Good luck let us know how you get on, chin up Fluffy :D

Always With Kind Regards

Tasgandy

Hi guys

I have now managed to reseat my graphics card and there is unfortunatley no change to the situation

Tas my pc/motherboard must be at least about seven years old.

I couldn`t figure any other connection to the motherboard to bypass my grahics card

I have found this on the internet and would welcome comments on this thread

http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=31516

This has some elements that could be part of the problem as i have recently had my psu changed,however it was working fine when it left the shop !

Fluffy

Hi guys

I have now managed to reseat my graphics card and there is unfortunatley no change to the situation

Tas my pc/motherboard must be at least about seven years old.

I couldn`t figure any other connection to the motherboard to bypass my grahics card

I have found this on the internet and would welcome comments on this thread

http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=31516

This has some elements that could be part of the problem as i have recently had my psu changed,however it was working fine when it left the shop !

Fluffy

Well Fluffy I have a read of the thread and yes it does sound like your issue somewhat. As I said before if it was me presented with this problem I would be looking at performing those steps previously mentioned: Disconnect anything not required to make the PC boot up, just leaving the CPU, RAM, the boot HDD, keyboard, graphics card and the monitor.

Should this action not provide a result for you the next step for me is an easy one as I do have several older motherboards I can use for problem solving which involves swapping motherboards around.

Unless you are located here in Tasmania which you are not I do not see any other option than having to resort to taking your PC back to the Guys who changed over your power supply for some advice. The big problem looming here is that your existing MB is 7 years old and unless you can locate a similar age MB (new NOT 2nd hand) that will accept your old i'm guessing "PCI/AGP4 video card", your old "CPU" and "RAM" you are looking at a new PC.

There is however one other alternative that I am using at my place. My wife's PC is experiencing some major issues at boot up (won't go into the boring details) and is due for a re-build (low level format and re-install the OS & Apps). However "she who must be obeyed / her indoors" does not want me to do the re-build just yet so for the last 2 months she has not turned the PC off, she just switches the Monitor off at bed time. A waste of power I know however you could take this action whilst you save up some $$

Sorry Fluffy but at this stage I am out of suggestions for you. ;)

Always With Kind Regards

Tasgandy

Hi

Tas thank you for your idea`s and offer to try and help, the flight does look like a long one to Tasmania with my computer!so i`m going to try a couple of options here back in Blighty !

Seriously thank you all for your thoughts and posts,It is an annoying intermitent fault,the last possible solution is a new computer,but `im not there yet !When(and if!) I do find what the exact problem is be sure i will let you all know.

The good thing is at least I have learned more, about the inside of my computer !! :)

Fluff

• 3 weeks later...

Hi fluffy. These dell e173fpp monitors have some well known faults.It is usually the capacitors on the power board that have gone.The capacitors bulge on top,its easy to see which ones are faulty.You need to desolder the bad ones and solder in some new ones of the same spec ,i must warn you though,the capacitors hold a charge and can give a nasty shock.Leave at least 24hrs if you do attempt the repairs yourself. For lots more info and help i`d suggest searching the badcaps forums = http://www.badcaps.net/forum/

:D

• 2 months later...

Hello Guys

Just thought I would update this thread,if you remember I was having probelms with the monitor/keyboard powering up..well after a while even using the reset button was becoming a hit and miss affair to start the computer.Well one day it would just not work.So it went to the computer shop for a look !.The motherboard had finally gone,so the computer has been repaired ! new motherboard,and a few other bits ! the good news is as well I`ve gone form a measly 40gb to 500gb hardrive,

I have most of my system back as it was,on another note the guys in the shop suggested and put on Microsoft Security Essentials (I used to have Avast free)and I`m giving that a try,

but boy did I miss not having a computer !!! how long could you guys go without one !!

Fluffy :)

• Moderators

wait does this question include going without a smartphone as well? if so than 0 hours. Gasp :lol:

Glad you've been upgraded, you'll be suprised by how fast those 500 GB start to seem like not enough ;)

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Hello Guys

Just thought I would update this thread,if you remember I was having probelms with the monitor/keyboard powering up..well after a while even using the reset button was becoming a hit and miss affair to start the computer.Well one day it would just not work.So it went to the computer shop for a look !.The motherboard had finally gone,so the computer has been repaired ! new motherboard,and a few other bits ! the good news is as well I`ve gone form a measly 40gb to 500gb hardrive,

I have most of my system back as it was,on another note the guys in the shop suggested and put on Microsoft Security Essentials (I used to have Avast free)and I`m giving that a try,

but boy did I miss not having a computer !!! how long could you guys go without one !!

:)

Fluffy :)

Hey there Fluffy, great news that you are back in the swing of things albeit you had to shell out some $$$, what motherboard did you end up with? a new one? different CPU? and more RAM?

Re MS Security Essentials and Avast, as far as I am concerned they are both very good and on my business PC (where this post is coming from) I use both together, they have always seemed to co-habit-ate very well. I agree with Negal it won't take long to fill up your 500GB.

PS: new system, new bits, now back to square one, DON'T FORGET TO IT BACK-UP & regularly. (Macrium Reflect forever)

Always With Kind Regards

Tasgandy

Tasgandy I am surprised that you are running MSE and Avast together as on install I think MSE tells you to uninstall any other av on the machine.

Yes Hazelnut I think you are right, MSE does indeed ask one to uninstall all other AV SW BUT, when did you ever do what MS asks you to do without trying something different first..........well I do. If the wheels fall of I always have Macrium Reflect to fall back on.

Prior to joining the Piriform forum and finding out about "AVAST" (and many other things might I add) I was using McAfee Enterprise 8.X and MSE (the original MSE release many moons ago).

When installing then and now I simply turn off "other anti-virus SW" (including Spybot & Tea timer) whilst I carry out the MSE initial installation, and I have had no issue since. All AV software updates automatically (I sometimes manually check just to make sure it all happens) and it is not unusual for MSE to catch some virus that Avast has not and likewise the same with Avast catching where MSE has not. On my Wife's PC I run MSE, AVG & Spybot, with the same result/story.

You'll "never know" till you "give it a go" is an old saying my Dad taught me. :wacko:

Always With Kind Regards

Tasgandy