Search engine

Carol25

When I first downloaded CCleaner 5 months ago, the software cleaned all the search information I'd typed and wanted to get rid of. The continuous updates have been great and my search engine was kept clean. However, two days ago, I noticed that when I typed a word into my Google/Yahoo search bar, the words continued to stick around even after running my CCleaner. Then, I saw an update today, downloaded and nope - the search engine is still loaded with information I'd just as soon delete. What happened with the software program?? <_<

Carol25

• Moderators

CCleaner may need a cleaning routine update of what to clean. This can happen when other software changes where it stores user data, meaning CCleaner no longer knows where to clean. However; I don't know first hand if that's why it's not cleaning on your system.

• Moderators

Also many searchengines (a-hem google) keep your search history in their server now, do you remove your search engine cookies?

also be sure you aren't mistaking search suggestion for your history ;) (it got me the first time. . . i'm just sayin' :P )

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

CCleaner may need a cleaning routine update of what to clean. This can happen when other software changes where it stores user data, meaning CCleaner no longer knows where to clean. However; I don't know first hand if that's why it's not cleaning on your system.

Not sure what you mean by "CCleaner may need a cleaning routine update." Haven't added any other new software that would have a bearing on the CCleaner's processes. If you have any other suggestions - I'm all ears. ;)

Also many searchengines (a-hem google) keep your search history in their server now, do you remove your search engine cookies?

also be sure you aren't mistaking search suggestion for your history ;) (it got me the first time. . . i'm just sayin' :P )

I can use any search provider I choose on Windows. I don't use the Google nor the Yahoo tool bars. I knew that Google keeps history which is why I deleted that toolbar. Nope - I'm talking about search suggestions - not history. Thanks tho for the reply. ;)

• Moderators

I can use any search provider I choose on Windows. I don't use the Google nor the Yahoo tool bars. I knew that Google keeps history which is why I deleted that toolbar. Nope - I'm talking about search suggestions - not history. Thanks tho for the reply. ;)

Wait i'm confused :-S

1) wasn't meaning any toolbars. meant search via the actual webpage (www.google.com etc) or the Internet Browser search box.

2) you say "Nope I'm talking about search suggestions - not history" Is this what you mean to be saying? if so yes search suggestions are definitly something ccleaner can't clean as it is the website suggesting it not the pc. if you mean the opposite (history not suggesation) than again i wonder if you are keeping the cookies.

Upon further investigation I have learned that two further places are storing your search history in the internet browser search box 1) (autocomplete) form data 2) history

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Sorry I confused you. It's possibly me that's confused. Being an old lady, I don't always know the correct computer terminology for what I'm trying to explain. I'm talking about the internet browser search box.

Let me further explain that for the 5 months I have used CCleaner, I never once had to checkmark "AutoComplete Form Information." The searches I did were never stored and were always erased.

As of two days ago, all that changed. In order to delete the searches I'd done, I had to checkmark that box, ran the software and everything was erased. That I didn't want as I play on game sites where I like keeping that login information. Bottom line - I never had to keep reentering login information and the searches I'd done were still erased till now.

Carol25

Think I'll stop watching this topic as I'm getting nowhere. I re-downloaded 2.33 yesterday and made sure that the "Search Autocomplete" in Windows Explorer was checked. It was. Ran the software again. No change. Thanks anyway.

Carol25

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for the updated reply. You've given me more to research and think about. To lessen my confusion, let me state this: When I type in the search 'bar' the word: Amazon, it opens information page/s about Amazon and all the links I could choose to fine tune my search in Amazon. To me, that's Search Suggestions. If this is actually Search History, then how do I delete the search history? I checkmarked "Search AutoComplete" in Windows in CCleaner. What else can I do?

Thanks for the help!

Carol25

• Moderators

Hi Carol.

Which browser are you using, and do you keep any cookies in "CCleaner\Options\Cookies\Cookies to keep".

Some sites use cookies to store your log-in information, and keeping the relevant ones stops that information from being deleted.

I ask about the browser, because the search suggestions, or the location bar as it's called in Firefox, can be disabled, which means there would be no drop down when you type something into the box.

4f4d1f7b6d22.jpg

Maybe I'm misreading what it is you want, and of course feel free to tell me if I am.

:)

Wow ... finally someone understands me!! :D

I use IE8, and yes, I do keep cookies in CCleaner's (cookies to keep). Maybe that's where my problem is. Maybe I should remove them all and see if the cleaner recognizes that they need to be removed/cleaned. I don't use Firefox nearly as often as I should as I do enjoy that browser.

My whole issue is the drop-down box listing all the things I've searched while online. Making me crazy. :blink:

I'm going to give your suggestion a try and will let you know that results.

Thanks again!

Carol

• Moderators

I don't have IE8 so I can't check that out myself Carol, and googling pops up a few contradictory answers.

However, there are a few IE8 users on here, so they might tell you how to disable that feature. I can do it with Opera, which I use, and as shown above, you can do it with Firefox, so it should be possible with IE8.

If there's no input, I'll come back to this thread and do a bit more research, and in the meantime having a look at Firefox might be a good idea. You can have as many browsers as you want installed, and use them for different things.

If you need any info or advice on that, just fire away with the questions Carol.

EDIT: Which Operating System are you using by the way? XP, Vista, Windows 7?

sure it's no predictive? (does ie have that???)

I wish they did. To date, I've found nothing with IE that would support disabling. I might just go ahead and switch over to Firefox for my browsing/searching needs. I really do believe in CCleaner and my husband wouldn't use anything else, so - go figure! I am just the one with the issues it seems. :rolleyes:

Thanks!

Carol

have you tried unticking auto complete?

tools - internet Options> Content> Autocomplete... search autocomplete would be forms so google tells me

No fate but what we make

• Moderators

Carol I just want to check something.

You say...

When I type in the search 'bar' the word: Amazon, it opens information page/s about Amazon and all the links I could choose to fine tune my search in Amazon.

Is this what you mean by 'search suggestions''?

post-1555-127900052294_thumb.jpg

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Hi Carol.

Which browser are you using, and do you keep any cookies in "CCleaner\Options\Cookies\Cookies to keep".

Some sites use cookies to store your log-in information, and keeping the relevant ones stops that information from being deleted.

I ask about the browser, because the search suggestions, or the location bar as it's called in Firefox, can be disabled, which means there would be no drop down when you type something into the box.

4f4d1f7b6d22.jpg

Maybe I'm misreading what it is you want, and of course feel free to tell me if I am.

Hi and thank you for the reply. Thanks too for the idea in Firefox. Never thought to change the selection to "nothing" in the Location Bar. That will help in Firefox. It always seems to be IE that gives me trouble, so I'm attaching a pix of my issue. Everyone wants to win in PCH, and I have won stuff through Search&Win, but when the dropdown stuff continued to be an issue, I stopped. Anyway, here's the info.

Carol

Carol I just want to check something.

You say...

Is this what you mean by 'search suggestions''?

Probably so hazelnut and thanks for the interest in this issue. Old people don't always express themselves in the proper computer language. ;)

• Moderators

I think we could be talking about two different things here Carol, but no worries as long as we pinpoint the issue and hopefully fix it.

I've been referring in my replies to the "dropdown" list of suggestions feature found in most browsers now, as per this screenshot:

3353c8a0299a.jpg

Different to hazels take on it which is more likely to be your issue after reading through the thread again.

Can you confirm which one covers your problem? And no worries about what terminology you use to explain it, just describe it any way you can.

I think we could be talking about two different things here Carol, but no worries as long as we pinpoint the issue and hopefully fix it.

I've been referring in my replies to the "dropdown" list of suggestions feature found in most browsers now, as per this screenshot:

3353c8a0299a.jpg

Different to hazels take on it which is more likely to be your issue after reading through the thread again.

Can you confirm which one covers your problem? And no worries about what terminology you use to explain it, just describe it any way you can.

Thank you for the replies and understanding.

Now, I did include an attachment with my last reply showing the drop-down box I am referring to and that is causing me trouble. Did you not get it? What you're showing me is different than what my issue is. If you didn't get my attachment let me know and I'll re-create it and try to resend.

Thanks!

Carol

I noticed that, but there wasn't an attachment in the post, so if you could post it that would help.

DennisD: Sorry 'bout that. I looked back at may last post and saw that the attachment wasn't there... grrr! So, I am going to try resending it so you can see what I'm talking about.

Carol

P.S. Error message came up - This file was too big to upload. Do you have another way of receiving this file?