connecting laptop to tv

beatlebryce

My Acer Aspire 5610 laptop, when connected to a tv using s-video, is only displayed as black and white on the tv. The cable I have is S-video to RGB output, which i connect to the input on the side of the tv. Anyone have a way to get colour? I have changed all the color and resolution settings on both the normal display settings and also the graphics driver menu.

If there is an option to set the s-video out to composite or svhs try that.

Is the converter a good one? The s-video cable may be damaged. this commonly results in B&W.

you could try a summing cable between the laptop and converter. Basically it would short the 2 s video conductors. you could do this manually without additional cables too. If you decide to buy a summing cable you would need either a "female s-video to male s-video" or "Male s-video to female s-video". I'm not sure if a summing device would work here but they're so cheap it doesn't really matter. If you get a summing device that goes from s-video to RCA for composite video you would also need a composite to s-video adapter.

Obviously your TV doesn't have a S-Video input but does it have a composite input? If so a female s-video to male composite summing cable would work. Or a male s-video to male composite summer(would have to be an actual cable with enough length).

The internet - Where men are men, women are men and children are FBI agents.

A black and white picture can only mean 2 things: a) unsupported colour format i.e. PAL/NTSC or b) only the Luma (b&w) signal is being processed but not the Chroma (colour).

Also I'm a little sceptical about your cable I thought it was technically impossible to convert S-Video to YPrPb without the aid of an electronic box.

The best solution would be to use an S-Video to Composite adapter like this one sold at Amazon although you may find the picture quality a little fuzzy.

Richard S.