New to Ubuntu?

Tasgandy

For those of you out there that are "trying" your hand at Ubuntu (just one flavour of Linux) and are experiencing some issues with Software installation via the "Terminal screen" and attempting to get your head around the correct syntax eg."sudo, apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras" and the like (I know I am, I am getting confused with the old days of DOS syntax) I have come across another "easy" installation procedure other than the built-in "Ubuntu Software Centre" installation, or downloading .deb files/packages when you can find them.

Have a read and look at: Getdeb.net

GetDeb Software Portal

GetDeb is an unofficial project with the mission to provide the latest open source and freeware applications for the current Ubuntu Linux release, in an easy to install manner.

The GetDeb repository extends the official repositories by providing latest versions and new applications. Unlike the official packages, GetDeb packages do not have a predefined release schedule - new software versions are provided as they become available from their authors. There is a short and limited testing phase instead of a full testing cycle to ensure packaging quality, however it is less strict than Ubuntu's official requirements.

So folks following their instructions will deliver a "foolproof" installation procedure that will have you installing all sorts of packages. I have just installed such things as: DVD movie RIP's, PDF editor, Video editing, Movie/Video/Music/Books/Picture data bases etc. I have even noticed business accounting packages similar to my QuickBooks Pro software I use in Windows XP.

I now am able to see if it is possible for me to replace Windows with Ubuntu for my day to day computer usage, well practice at it at least.

Always With Kind Regards

Tasgandy

"one is never too old to listen & learn"

LOL, I know you intended ME to see this.

I'll consider installing it when I get a new hard drive. I can always use it from the USB anyways.

I love computer maintenance tasks.

Some of my favorite programs:

Wordpad -basic word processing

Notepad - temporary clipboard and basic scripting module

Windows Media Player 12- video, music and online radio player

Windows Media Center - live TV, local FM radio

CCleaner- handy computer maintenance tool

If something fails to work after using the registry cleaner, use SYSTEM RESTORE.

LOL, I know you intended ME to see this.

I'll consider installing it when I get a new hard drive. I can always use it from the USB anyways.

Actually Ishi I thought you were off the air for a couple of weeks, thought you were going away. Anyhow make sure you check "Getdeb.net". :D

Always With Kind Regards

Tasgandy

Hi, Tasgandy. Ishi, that might have been meant for me. I pretty well messed up that Puppy installation. :P

Still runs great from the USB stick or the CD, tho, using it now from CD.

Will try the GetDeb site soon. Thank you. Still mostly gone for couple more weeks, no time to experiment yet, but soon.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

Wine for Ubuntu.........No not the good Red or White that we all enjoy whilst eating dinner but a software application that once installed on your Ubuntu OS (or any other flavour of Linux) will allow one to install and run normal Windows software applications like Microsoft Windows Office etc. (see my screen-grab)

However BE WARNED BE CAREFUL it isn't all beer and skittles, if you really MUST use that Windows application, well give it a go, however as I have now found out, you may have to make some allowances. i.e. Running MS Word 2003 Pro, during the network printing procedure I was not able to select A4 "duplexing" (double siding) as I am able to do so when using "Open Office" Word Processor that ships with Ubuntu 10.4. My only options offered were, 1/ portrait/landscape, 2/ letter/A4, and 3/ number of copies to print.

Under most circumstances this would be OK. When it came to things like, "insert image" from file (file worked but did not appear on the print) or from clipart, none available (even though I installed all clipart during the installation). I did produce some business quotations successfully, so all was not lost, however I will not be replacing Open Office as my normal WP.

I then tried my Video editing app "TMPGEnc 4.0".........forget it sunshine, all I got was a dialogue screen saying something like "we apologizes for any inconvenience, TMPGEnc has been terminated due to.........etc, etc. you get the picture.

So before you race off and install "Wine" please take a cup of your favorite hot beverage, visit and read Install Wine for UBUNTU before you decide to commit you time and energy.

Installed so far:

Always With Kind Regards

Tasgandy

Hi, Tasgandy. Ishi, that might have been meant for me. I pretty well messed up that Puppy installation. :P

Will try the GetDeb site soon. Thank you. Still mostly gone for couple more weeks, no time to experiment yet, but soon.

Attention: Login123 & Ishi, and others interested, further to my question of "does Ubuntu require anti virus software?" .......well it appears that it does, well recommended in some situations, please go to:

Best 4 AV software for Ubuntu

As we already know, Linux is immune to viruses and other nasty malware. However, there are still a lot of other reasons to install an antivirus program on your Linux computer. end quote.

As this PC sits in a MS workgroup LAN and based on the success of Avast AV as used in my Windows environment and used on this "dual boot" Win7 & Ubuntu PC I shall install / test Avast for Linux and report back.

Always With Kind Regards

Tasgandy

Well Login123 & Ishi, I direct your attention to the attached image showing a Ubuntu Boot, running a VirtualBox session where I have installed MS Windows 2008 Server. Why you ask? buggerd if I know, because I did.

What is interesting is that Win2008 Server is running much faster under a Linux / VirtualBox build than a Win7 / VirtualBox build (which I have done once before). Network access across all PC's is working, just can not seem to open a directory located in on the Ubuntu box, I can see all the shared directories but not see what's inside them.

Indeed I am trying this from the MS Windows 2008 Server VirtualBox so innternet is working fine. Now lets see if I can browse and attach the screengrab....Next I am going to try "Parimage" imaging backup SW for Linux as no system is complete until a backup has been created.

Always With Kind Regards

Tasgandy

• 2 weeks later...

Tips and Tricks for Ubuntu after Installation

Just completed your Ubuntu installation?

If you have the latest version of Ubuntu 10.04 installed in your PC, you might find these tips and tricks useful for working with your newly installed system.Ubuntu Tips & Tricks

* Customize the Panel

* Set Full Transparent Panel

* Customize the Theme

* Set Aero Glass Effect

* Pin Programs to the Panel

* Hide Drive Icons on the Desktop

* Move Window Control Buttons to the Right

* Set a Default View in File Browser

* Open Up a Window in Center

* Enable "Rotate Cube" Effect

* Enable Windows 7 Superbar

* Enable Windows 7 Aero Snap

* Auto Mount Drives at System Startup

* Manually Mount a USB Drive

* Enable Media Playback

* Set Sound Output

* Terminate Unresponsive Programs

* Change Default Boot Options

* Remove Old Linux Kernel, Clean Up Boot Menu

* Auto Shutdown the System

* Install Extra Fonts

* Install Screenlets

* Install Sun Java Packages

* Install More Useful Software

I found most of the above very helpful in shortening my learning curve (mountain). B)

Always With Kind Regards

Tasgandy

Thanks for the link, wish I had found this information a few weeks ago. ;)

I will, add some of the information here can be done via Ubuntu Tweak, save hacking too much into the system, and can easily be resorted at a click of a button.

Yes you are correct, "Ubuntu Tweak" is great, I joined up some weeks ago just after a final Ubuntu 10.4 build.

Next on your list should be GetDeb.net

GetDeb Software Portal

GetDeb is an unofficial project with the mission to provide the latest open source and freeware applications for the current Ubuntu Linux release, in an easy to install manner.

Enjoy :P

Always With Kind Regards

Tasgandy