Delete via Recycle Bin

Alan_B

When junk is cleaned it is gone forever,

and if it included something precious your only hope is skilled use of Recuva or similar.

I suggest that instead deletions to Recycle Bin should be used.

That will allow easy recovery if something misbehaves due to absence of something vital,

and may also be very beneficial if the next restart is only via "Last Good" or Recovery console.

This requires that if the Empty Recycle Bin is checked it should be deleted before any other cleaning,

and the subsequent cleaning will then go into Recycle and remain there until the next time CCleaner runs.

There could be a status message advising the amount that has been deleted to Recycle, and that Free space will be increased by this amount when Recycle is emptied (either manually or the next time CCleaner runs).

CCleaner has the reputation of being safest junk cleaner.

Please add to that the ability for any novice beginner to easily undo his mistakes without having to get on-line (if possible) and ask here for help and wait for some-one to ask for clarification and operating system followed by various posts that hopefully resolve the problem - days or even weeks after the problem arose.

I always look at and worry about what analyse shows as intended for deletion.

If it was deleted via recycle bin I would no longer worry,

but I would still take an interest in any previously unseen items in case they might indicate activity of an executable I was not aware of.

I fully trust Comodo to protect me from all evil - but it is not blind trust !

Alan

• Moderators

In the spirit of friendly criticism, I'm not with this one.

I use my recycler rarely (usually stuff gets a shift/del), but anything I send to the recycler I want to keep for a while. A few weeks, or even longer. This would wipe stuff I wanted to hold on to.

It would depend on users running CC twice, or forever really. One-time users would see no improvement.

Those one-time, or first-time, users would be posting here that running CC gives no free space.

There is a recycler size limit, 10% of disk size in XP. What happens to those who clean more than that limit?

If you run CC every day, as some do, then this option is just more work for no advantage, unless the deletions are cumulative!

How would you differentiate between stuff CC puts in the recycyler and other recycler stuff?

Most problems with CC seem to be caused by enthusiastic registry cleaning.

Hardly any problems are caused by the default Cleaner settings.

• Moderators

This requires that if the Empty Recycle Bin is checked it should be deleted before any other cleaning,

and the subsequent cleaning will then go into Recycle and remain there until the next time CCleaner runs.

I think things could get confusing quickly on a coding standpoint of making CCleaner work like that with the Recycle Bin and I think it would be ten times simpler for CCleaner just to backup files to a 'Backup' folder of its own. I.e.; 'Backup\Files', 'Backup\Registry', but this would probably detail having some built in restore functionality to do it properly and perhaps compression such as ZIP or 7z so the files sitting in the Backup folder don't consume so much space.

In the spirit of friendly criticism, I'm not with this one.

It would depend on users running CC twice, or forever really. One-time users would see no improvement.

I disagree - please read my post again.

Cleaning is done ONLY ONCE.

Its first stage simply empties the recycle bin,

just like it already does - though I do not know the existing order of cleansing.

That removes the yesterday's garbage which has been held pending since CC put it there yesterday.

Subsequently the cleaning will consider all the "new" junk that has arrived,

and instead of deleting to oblivion it deletes to recycle bin to be held pending till tomorrow.

The only penalty is that you defer till tomorrow the joy of seeing free space increase by that action.

The special reward is that you immediately have the joy of seeing free space increase because yesterday's pending garbage has now been emptied.

Those one-time, or first-time, users would be posting here that running CC gives no free space.

One-time, or first-time, users will see the status message which tells them how much junk is now held pending till tomorrow,

and tomorrow they will see the corresponding increase in free space - and the promise of more jam the next day.

How would you differentiate between stuff CC puts in the recycyler and other recycler stuff?

CC provides detailed information on screen of what it has removed,

it could also put this in a file, to be held with registry backups, or held in recycle bin

Most problems with CC seem to be caused by enthusiastic registry cleaning.

Hardly any problems are caused by the default Cleaner settings.

I fully accept that,

but even so there are forum topics where the registry was not implicated in the disaster.

What I propose would of course be subject to a check-box to enable/disable this new mode.

Alan

• Moderators

My personal opinion on this Alan is that I wouldn't like to see this.

Keep it simple, that is what has made ccleaner and other apps like it so good through the years.

Once you start adding tweaks, tickboxes, options etc, it can become bloated.

I am not against things which prevent a user making 'unwise choices' (such as an advanced option for registry cleaning), but at the moment I don't see much point in your suggestion.

However that is just my opinion :)

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators
Cleaning is done ONLY ONCE.

... it deletes to recycle bin to be held pending till tomorrow.

... you defer till tomorrow the joy of seeing free space increase by that action.

That looks like two runs to me. You would always have to run CC once more to remove the current run's data. Try telling that - endlessly - to new users.

Holding on to deleted data for just one day, or even less, is mostly pointless (which, as with the recycler size limit, you didn't respond to).

I think that this would just be a complex morass.

Moving files to the Recycle Bin takes a while.

I was not aware of that. How much longer does it take ?

Windows allows files and folders to be moved to a new location.

Early Windows had no hour glass for this, but images of paper sheets thrown across the office,

and underneath out of sight the code was reading entire files in the original location,

and re-writing to the new location, after which the original items were deleted.

More recent versions of Windows have a better solution when the source and destination are on the same partition,

they simply tweak the directory structure - very much faster.

I had assumed that deleting to the recycle bin was a similar and fast tweak to a directory structure,

plus a very small piece of data to show where it came from in case it had to be restored.

Is deleting to Recycle Bin achieved by a directory tweak based move as I thought,

or is it back to the ancient practice of copying source to destination and then deleting source ?

That looks like two runs to me. You would always have to run CC once more to remove the current run's data. Try telling that - endlessly - to new users.

I disagree.

A single run will increase free space because all of yesterdays junk that was in the recycle bin will be removed,

and all of today's junk will be put in the recycle bin and will be more free space tomorrow,

but if you are really impatient you can either clean a second time - or not use this option

Holding on to deleted data for just one day, or even less, is mostly pointless

I absolutely and totally disagree.

If something vital is deleted, you possibly will not know until it next reboots (or BSOD)

(which, as with the recycler size limit, you didn't respond to).

Interesting technicality which I thought irrelevant - hence no response.

I have a 140 GB drive, and the system partition is 15 GB with 8 GB free space.

I am using only 5 GB for the O.S. etc,

plus 2 GB for Restore Points (been a while since I dumped the old R.P.).

CCleaner could move my entire operating system to the recycle bin without reaching 10% of 140 GB.

Even where the whole hard drive is only just large enough for the operating system,

it is difficult for me to imagine that CCleaner could remove more than 10% and leave a viable system.

Finally, if the 10% limit is reached, the older files would be deleted normally,

i.e. not the customary Windows BSOD, but graceful degradation.

Alan

Well, I don't have any huge files to test with, but usually when I delete the contents of my Downloads folder through the Recycle Bin, it takes a while. :unsure:

Piriform French translator

• 4 weeks later...

I can actually see some logic in at least giving the user this option. Deleting to the Recycle Bin would fit with the whole Windows convention, after all. You could always make a "Skip Recycle Bin" preference enabled by default.

There could be a status message advising the amount that has been deleted to Recycle, and that Free space will be increased by this amount when Recycle is emptied (either manually or the next time CCleaner runs).

I have to disagree with this part, though. If the user minds the new deletions mixing with previous ones, they can empty it manually just as they would do before some manual deletions. If they went out of their way to turn off the Recycle Bin skipping in the preferences, they should be able to figure out that they won't free the space until they empty it. Then again, I suppose you could give them a reminder message before exiting :rolleyes: (but only if it applied to them).

I use my recycler rarely (usually stuff gets a shift/del), but anything I send to the recycler I want to keep for a while. A few weeks, or even longer. This would wipe stuff I wanted to hold on to.

Kind of an odd place to put stuff you want to keep, no? ;)

Something you might consider:

Save yourself the 'shift'-press by disabling the recycle bin altogether (how-to) and making yourself a 'pre-delete' folder instead. A fringe benefit of this is that, should you ever have to recover that file system, those files wouldn't be named, e.g., De09.txt. :)

There is a recycler size limit, 10% of disk size in XP. What happens to those who clean more than that limit?

I'm sure the Recycle Bin's capacity is in the registry.

If it runs out of space, the user could be shown the same prompt they'd get if they tried to delete something that was too big to fit... a message asking if they want to permanently delete or cancel.

Plus, if the user Analyzed first, CCleaner would know how much stuff it was going to delete, and could even prompt them about it as soon as they hit Run. Something like "This will exceed your Recycle Bin's capacity. Permanently delete instead?" They could click Continue, or Cancel, empty it, and try again.

If you run CC every day, as some do, then this option is just more work for no advantage, unless the deletions are cumulative!

They might just want to leave the 'Skip Recycle Bin option' enabled then! ;)

Same way you differentiate stuff from different manual deletion sprees: sort on the Date Deleted column.

I think things could get confusing quickly on a coding standpoint of making CCleaner work like that with the Recycle Bin and I think it would be ten times simpler for CCleaner just to backup files to a 'Backup' folder of its own. I.e.; 'Backup\Files', 'Backup\Registry', but this would probably detail having some built in restore functionality to do it properly and perhaps compression such as ZIP or 7z so the files sitting in the Backup folder don't consume so much space.

Really? Isn't there a Shell function you can pass the filename to? As a matter of fact, if you passed an array of all the filenames found in the Analysis, the Windows shell itself might take care of the potential insufficient space issue above, just as if the user had multi-selected those files in an Explorer window and press Delete. (I must say this Shell integration would be right in line with the oh-so-sexy real-time updating space usage quotes in Defraggler! :D )

The Recycle Bin is perfect for this. If something breaks, you can just open it, sort by Date Deleted, select the big streak of deletions (or even just targeted ones if you know what was 'missed' by something), right-click and select Restore. Voila; everything goes back where it came from. :) (If a new Chrome history file, for example, had been created since the deletion, Windows would ask if you wanted to overwrite it.) You could be indiscriminate in the restoration because you could just run CCleaner again (only more conservatively this time).

Once you start adding tweaks, tickboxes, options etc, it can become bloated.

I'm not a fan of bloat either, but the problem, in my opinion, is more often in the organization and presentation of the options than in the fact that they're offered.

At any rate, removal of cruft is CCleaner's game. This would be a single check box allowing the user to pick the sense of "removal" they wanted: the more absolute sense or the more Windowsy.

I myself would keep the default and skip the recycle bin (since I know the stuff CCleaner removes--log files, hotfix uninstallers, history, MRU, etc--would only be missed by a user), but I think it's a worthy idea for an option to help users with traumatic memories of overly ambitious system cleaners.

I can actually see some logic in at least giving the user this option. Deleting to the Recycle Bin would fit with the whole Windows convention, after all. You could always make a "Skip Recycle Bin" preference enabled by default.

I have to disagree with this part, though. If the user minds the new deletions mixing with previous ones, they can empty it manually just as they would do before some manual deletions. If they went out of their way to turn off the Recycle Bin skipping in the preferences, they should be able to figure out that they won't free the space until they empty it. Then again, I suppose you could give them a reminder message before exiting :rolleyes: (but only if it applied to them).

Kind of an odd place to put stuff you want to keep, no? ;)

Something you might consider:

Save yourself the 'shift'-press by disabling the recycle bin altogether (how-to) and making yourself a 'pre-delete' folder instead. A fringe benefit of this is that, should you ever have to recover that file system, those files wouldn't be named, e.g., De09.txt. :)

I'm sure the Recycle Bin's capacity is in the registry.

If it runs out of space, the user could be shown the same prompt they'd get if they tried to delete something that was too big to fit... a message asking if they want to permanently delete or cancel.

Plus, if the user Analyzed first, CCleaner would know how much stuff it was going to delete, and could even prompt them about it as soon as they hit Run. Something like "This will exceed your Recycle Bin's capacity. Permanently delete instead?" They could click Continue, or Cancel, empty it, and try again.

They might just want to leave the 'Skip Recycle Bin option' enabled then! ;)

Same way you differentiate stuff from different manual deletion sprees: sort on the Date Deleted column.

Really? Isn't there a Shell function you can pass the filename to? As a matter of fact, if you passed an array of all the filenames found in the Analysis, the Windows shell itself might take care of the potential insufficient space issue above, just as if the user had multi-selected those files in an Explorer window and press Delete. (I must say this Shell integration would be right in line with the oh-so-sexy real-time updating space usage quotes in Defraggler! :D )

The Recycle Bin is perfect for this. If something breaks, you can just open it, sort by Date Deleted, select the big streak of deletions (or even just targeted ones if you know what was 'missed' by something), right-click and select Restore. Voila; everything goes back where it came from. :) (If a new Chrome history file, for example, had been created since the deletion, Windows would ask if you wanted to overwrite it.) You could be indiscriminate in the restoration because you could just run CCleaner again (only more conservatively this time).

I'm not a fan of bloat either, but the problem, in my opinion, is more often in the organization and presentation of the options than in the fact that they're offered.

At any rate, removal of cruft is CCleaner's game. This would be a single check box allowing the user to pick the sense of "removal" they wanted: the more absolute sense or the more Windowsy.

I myself would keep the default and skip the recycle bin (since I know the stuff CCleaner removes--log files, hotfix uninstallers, history, MRU, etc--would only be missed by a user), but I think it's a worthy idea for an option to help users with traumatic memories of overly ambitious system cleaners.

No, no, no!!!

CCleaner is meant to delete trash, not preserve it! IF you want trash, don't use CCleaner. Preserving trash will only add complexity to really deleting it, & turn CCleaner form a good app to a confusing & bloated app that IS trash in itself!

No, no, no!!!

CCleaner is meant to delete trash, not preserve it! IF you want trash, don't use CCleaner. Preserving trash will only add complexity to really deleting it, & turn CCleaner form a good app to a confusing & bloated app that IS trash in itself!

We're talking about a non-default option--"IF you want the current behavior, don't go out of your way to change it." :P

As for "preserving trash", keep in mind the entire point of the Recycle Bin is to allow you to confirm something is trash (by not missing it) before it's truly deleted. If you'd rather not have that insurance, yet the presence of a check box in the preferences adds complexity to your deletions, then "you're doing it wrong". ;)