CCleaner Applications list

downey

Might you know why my version of CCleaner 2.32.1165, still shows some old applications present (ex. Office 2003, Foxit Reader...). As far as I can see these, are completely un-installed from my Windows XP laptop. Office 2007 in use, no Foxit files found...

I already tried a CCleaner un-install and re-install, even deleting the settings file, but same effect.

Thanks very much,

Downey

• Moderators

I'm guessing it's more than likely being caused by left over registry keys/data since allot of what CCleaner detects comes straight from the software registry key location. This can happen even if all physical files on the hard disk are uninstalled.

The left over registry keys in no way harm your system, and if you're not comfortable editing the Windows registry it's best left alone since making mistakes in it can force a reinstall of Windows.

CC did NOT invent its own wheel to remove an application,

instead it uses whatever mechanism is utilised by Windows Control Panel "Add or Remove Programs".

I suspect that CC identifies what is available for removal by whatever "Add or Remove ..." uses.

Does "Add or Remove ..." also list Office 2003 etc ?

If so then CCleaner is working as perfectly as your system will allow.

Alan

CC did NOT invent its own wheel to remove an application,

instead it uses whatever mechanism is utilised by Windows Control Panel "Add or Remove Programs".

I suspect that CC identifies what is available for removal by whatever "Add or Remove ..." uses.

Does "Add or Remove ..." also list Office 2003 etc ?

If so then CCleaner is working as perfectly as your system will allow.

Alan

thanks, but they are long gone from Add or Remove Programs, cannot find traces in explorer, documents and settings... must be somewhere in registry.

I'm guessing it's more than likely being caused by left over registry keys/data since allot of what CCleaner detects comes straight from the software registry key location. This can happen even if all physical files on the hard disk are uninstalled.

The left over registry keys in no way harm your system, and if you're not comfortable editing the Windows registry it's best left alone since making mistakes in it can force a reinstall of Windows.

I suspect you're right. I know where registry key section is but no, I'm not an expert.

Can you suggest an easy way to at least identify these leftover keys?

Thanks again,

D

Might you know why my version of CCleaner 2.32.1165, still shows some old applications present (ex. Office 2003, Foxit Reader...). As far as I can see these, are completely un-installed from my Windows XP laptop. Office 2007 in use, no Foxit files found...

I already tried a CCleaner un-install and re-install, even deleting the settings file, but same effect.

Thanks very much,

Downey

I had this problem a few months ago with MS Office 2003 which I had uninstalled months before, but CC was still detecting it. What I did was open the winapp.ini file in the CC program folder to see what Registry keys CC was looking for to determine if Office 2003 was installed.

I searched the Registry and sure enough, the keys were still there after the uninstall of Office 2003. :huh: I exported the keys first just in case it broke something and then deleted the keys. Rebooted the PC and started CC. CC no longer detected Office 2003. :)

Win10 Pro x64 Desktop (Speccy) - Win10 Pro x64 Laptop (Speccy)