What's best a external or internal BackUp Hd

englishmen

This should answer all your questions about SATA and ATA.

http://www.lsilogic.com/technologies/indus...technology.html

Thanks sniper that cleared it up it sounds like sata is the way to go, do you or anybody else know of a app i can benchmark my current drive with so i can compare it to my new drive to see what the difference is if any there is?

Andavari how many hd's do you have and how big are they?

I have my audio in .wma at 96kbs i use to have them at 256kbs but i ripped the same song of a album in both and played them fairly loud on my Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS sound card and Creative I-Trigue 2.1 speakers. It may be me but i could not hear any difference.

I was also recently going to buy the new Sound Blaster X-Fi which i have read reviews about and it got high scores on all. But im not sure weather to buy new speakers as well because the new card is so much better then Audigy 2 ZS my speakers may not be up to it. The speakers i have tho are Creative I-Trigue 2.1 and were the best 2.1 speakers available from creative a year a go. Do you guys think i will still get the best from the new card from my current speakers?

• Moderators
Andavari how many hd's do you have and how big are they?

160 GB, which is a pain with so much lossless music. I'm planing on building a system for only playing music with a small LCD screen somehow mounted to the case or embedded into it for my entertainment room. It won't have any Internet, browsers, av, firewall, basically no b.s. to slow it down.

I have my audio in .wma at 96kbs i use to have them at 256kbs but i ripped the same song of a album in both and played them fairly loud on my Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS sound card and Creative I-Trigue 2.1 speakers. It may be me but i could not hear any difference.

Could just be your hearing, not everyone can hear a difference however you'd have to conduct a double blind ABX test to disprove or prove to yourself that you can't really hear a difference.

I was also recently going to buy the new Sound Blaster X-Fi which i have read reviews about and it got high scores on all. But im not sure weather to buy new speakers as well because the new card is so much better then Audigy 2 ZS my speakers may not be up to it. The speakers i have tho are Creative I-Trigue 2.1 and were the best 2.1 speakers available from creative a year a go. Do you guys think i will still get the best from the new card from my current speakers?

I've completely given up on PC speakers altogether and now very rarely turn mine on which was a waste of money with my now 2 year old system. I now solely use headphones. Rather inexpensive about the price of a new audio CD to moderately priced about the price of a PlayStation 2 (not a rich guy so I don't buy rich guy headphones) the headphones I've used have been better in my situation than any speaker system.

I've completely given up on PC speakers altogether and now very rarely turn mine on which was a waste of money with my now 2 year old system. I now solely use headphones. Rather inexpensive about the price of a new audio CD to moderately priced about the price of a PlayStation 2 (not a rich guy so I don't buy rich guy headphones) the headphones I've used have been better in my situation than any speaker system.

Won't using bad headphones degrade the sound you hear and there for what is the point having your music in such high quality. I mean unless you have Audigy 2 ZS or the latest Sound Blaster X-Fi and top notch speakers or head phones you can have the audio file in the best audio format and bit rate for sound quality available but it will sound rubbish.

I mean i just bought a Bose wave music system for my bedroom and my cd's sound better in that then they do on my stereo.

Rule of thumb given me by a serious audiophile ... from a given source, a given set of headphones will match or outperform speakers costing 10X as much for clarity and nuances. The advantage of headphones increases if you can't optimize the listening environment. The disadvantage to headphones ... they won't give you room shaking bass (if your into that).

• Moderators

I have an Audigy2 and some good Altec Lansing dolby surround sound speakers with a powerful subwoofer, and believe it or not my music is more enjoyable using a pair of Sony headphones I bought from a local drugstore for under $10 USD. However for a movie experience the speaker system is needed. Although the Audigy2 line of sound cards is good the software created by Creative is slow running crashy bloatware.

My reason for primarily using headphones is because I'm constantly dealing with background noise from the refrigerator and freezer in the kitchen, and the constant noise of the fan running on the central air/heating system which makes it nearly impossible when I'm wanting to verify if my audio CDs were ripped correctly and perfectly. With headphones it's much easier (for me) to detect a glitch using headphones whereas using a speaker system wouldn't necessarily allow me to hear the glitch.

All my music is currently .wma and 96kbs anyone now what the equivalent(in terms of audio quality) mp3 bit rate is?

Also if i convert all my music to .mp3 do you guys think any errors may occur in the conversion process that may cause sound issues with the music. For example a jump or other error because if i do convert my music to mp3 i don't want to listen to all my music just to hear for errors i mean listening to music is a pleasure not a choir.

I will also need a good free converter(wma to mp3) any recommendations?