Opera Website Icons

When "Website Icons" of the Opera section is checked I have the impression that C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\Opera\Opera\icons is not entirely cleaned, some .ico end .idx are deleted, some not.

Also the folder C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\Opera\Opera\icons\cache is not cleaned.

• 4 months later...

I have used CC for ages and its been fine. Recently used it and have found that it keeps crashing when scanning. It crashes at the same point every time. OPERA WEBSITE ICONS. I decided to untick this box and then found the scan worked fine. IS there a reason for this, I ask as I am dubious as to whether my system is safe at present and use Opera all the time. :unsure:

post-40203-12860344692_thumb.png

• Moderators

try to manually clear website icons from opera though I'm not entirely sure how to do that

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

When "Website Icons" of the Opera section is checked I have the impression that C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\Opera\Opera\icons is not entirely cleaned, some .ico end .idx are deleted, some not.

Also the folder C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\Opera\Opera\icons\cache is not cleaned.

If all the favicons were cleared out of the "Icons" folder, you would lose the icons attached to your search engines, which a lot of folk didn't want, so if you want a total clearout you'd need to maybe use CCleaners "Include" routine.

http://www.piriform.com/docs/ccleaner/using-ccleaner/including-files-and-folders-for-cleaning

I have used CC for ages and its been fine. Recently used it and have found that it keeps crashing when scanning. It crashes at the same point every time. OPERA WEBSITE ICONS. I decided to untick this box and then found the scan worked fine. IS there a reason for this, I ask as I am dubious as to whether my system is safe at present and use Opera all the time. :unsure:

post-40203-12860344692_thumb.png

Don't know why that's happening unless a file or the folder itself is corrupt in some way. Try deleting everything in that folder manually, and if you can't, try running CCleaner in Windows "Safe Mode". How to is in my signature if you need it.

You can find the folder here:

"C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Opera\Opera\icons"

You would need to enable "View Hidden Files And Folders" to find it.

Welcome to the forum by the way to both you guys.

• Moderators

Alan's suggestion may work, but if not I have a couple of alternative ideas to try.

1:

After running and closing down Opera, right click the "Website Icons" name and select "Clean". This will just confirm that it's that one item causing the problem, and not a combination of that item and something else.

2:

You could configure Opera from within its settings to not create icons and/or favicons in the first place.

"Tools\Preferences\Advanced\Browsing".

14df6a72b3fa.jpg

You could try each of the settings and see if any make a difference to the scan. Or, one of those settings may do what you want without having to use CCleaner.

3:

Uncheck the "Website Icons" box, and add the "Icons" folder to CCleaners "Include" routine. Doing the same thing in a different way may work. Remember to check the "Custom Files and Folders" box in "CCleaner\Windows\Advanced" for the include to work.

http://www.piriform.com/docs/ccleaner/using-ccleaner/including-files-and-folders-for-cleaning

Hope one of these may do the trick.

:)

Well, tried all options and got nowhere. One option appears to have worked though, unchecking the Opera Icons and going to 'Include' and selecting the Opera icons folder. Now works no problem. I am still a bit concern for why the original way will not work and whether I have some sort of Trojan hanging onto it?!?

Anyways, cleaning the custom folder does appear to be working, THANK YOU!! :D

I have also disabled Opera from using the favicons as suggested earlier. I will try and experiment to see what I can get on. I need them really as I have no text for my bookmarks!

..a short time later..

Interesting, I can now allow favicons and it all works. If I clean through the custom method first and then untick custom and tick the opera website icons, that also works (the file though is obviously empty). If I go Opera website icons first, it just crashes. At least its working. :)

• Moderators

I wish I could think why it won't have the "Website Icons" without crashing, and works the other way. Weird.

If it ever p's you off too much, you could always try a previous version of CCleaner and see if that would do it, but if you're happy with the workaround, a future version may work as it should.

All versions:

• 1 month later...

Hallo,

a little bit late but the same problem as described occurs exactly at my pc since yesterday!

I tried everything I could think of but I did not reinstall Opera or CCleaner.

I've been running the latest version of CCleaner since weeks and several times a day without any problems and the same configurations.

But I remember that I closed Opera and the message came that it wanted to synchronize Opera links. Sometimes this could take a longer time and I'm a little bit impatient at times so I ended it before time (a lot of "time" here ;)

The same time (again) I started the automatic cleaning of CCleaner and since then the crash problem occurred!

So I thought it maybe is a problem with corrupted files in the icon folder. I emptied it manually and after that CCleaner works as usually but next time I used Opera and tried to run CCleaner it crashes because the folder wasn't empty again.

So I found no other solution than to uncheck "website icons" at CCleaner.

It works but I'm feeling a little bit uneasy about it!

Greetings - Kurtchen