Computer just crashed

Fluffy

Hi Guys

my computer just died on me whilst i was surfing this morning,the power was ok,I switched the main cpu off at the back and on a again. just dead metal box !after about two minutes i started it again and it come back on,seems ok now

Any ideas ? is it the start of a hardware problem that might happen again.Is there anything i could be checking i.e.the fan or something?

If this has happened to anyone else please reply

if you don`t hear from me for a while you`ll know why !

Thankyou

Fluff

You would want to be monitoring the temperatures with Speedfan or such software as well as the fan speeds(with speedfan) to start with.

If it starts repeatedly crashing you could also set the fans to run at 100% with speedfan. If that fixed it it could point to certain things like needing some new thermal grease.

The internet - Where men are men, women are men and children are FBI agents.

Thanks for the tip Talldog,

I`ve just looked at the rear and oh my do i need to get the vacuum cleaner out ! going to de-dust and see if that stops it from doing it again !!

• Moderators

Vacuum inside (carefully) is a good place to start, so you'll need to take the side panel off. I'm assuming you have a desktop.

Last year I noticed my case fans were coming on a lot more often, and it was down to a mass of dust on both the fans and the heat sink. (A few pics of heatsinks in case you haven't seen one).

It makes a huge difference keeping them free from dust.

Must say Talldog9 is probably right, sounds like heat, but...for what its worth:

A short while ago I ran into what I believe to have been a bad bug on a harmless looking website. Old HAL here just shut off and immediately came back on. No harm done, had powershadow running so will never know for sure if something tried to install itself.

But The inside of this computer is clean, and it runs cool, and that never happens.

You might consider a virus scan.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

Thanks for the replies

Yes Dennis I have carefully removed dust and what the French affectionatly call "petit moutons" from the inside of my computer !

Login that was my first thought that i had been attacked,but I have done virus scans,nothing found,but i was in sandboxie so

i`m safe.I will just monitor and see if i get another crash.

Thanks again

Fluff now deFluffed

Oh poo it`s just happened again !

have downloaded speedfan as suggested by Talldog,not sure what to make of the temps and speeds..

I suppose if things become desperate if i take the computer to my local repair shop they will understand where the problem lies using the speedfan results..

Fluff

What exactly happens, i.e. screen goes blank, it kills the power??

Richard S.

Hi Richard

the symptoms are the screen goes black,both times i was surfing,and the cpu shuts down,I still have power to my speakers and screen,and the computer,but the on/off or reset button is not effective I then switched the off button at the back of the cpu,after about two minutes the powers back and the screen comes back,both times i may have been logged on about an hour plus,

I don't think overheating is the problem your machine should have killed the power supply.

It's possible something else is to blame perhaps your graphics card is going bad.

What graphics card do you have in the machine??

If you start XP in "Safe Mode with Networking" and let it idle does your machine still crash??

When your machine crashes again hold the power button down for more than 3 seconds to force a hard power down.

Richard S.

Hi

I have NVIDIA GeForce FX5600

Driver nv4_disp.dll(6.14.11.6921)

(There is more info on it from speccy)

It has only crashed twice in the last two days,I`m just prememting if it crashes and i can`t get it to start up again,when i press the reset or on button it`s as if there is no power to the machine...

Try updating your drivers - if I'm not mistaken, you need those : http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_175.19_whql.html

(I don't know if your drivers are already up-to-date since the nv4_disp.dll version number is different from the usual nVidia version numbers...but it's worth a try)

Piriform French translator

Can you monitor the temperature in your power supply unit / your video card GPU (using a thermometer?)? That's what popped into my head right after CPU. If it's your GPU, that might explain why the PC is still on but nothing gets put out anymore. You might want to check for dust (you already did so, but doublechecking is never bad) even in the videocard's heatsink, and especially in the PSU.

How are the current ratings in speedfan? Are voltages stable?

I`m Back !!!!! Thanks for all the replies and suggestions,yess jojo i did another de dust !

The whole thing packed in on Monday the fourth blackout came and the thing gave up !

I took the cpu to my local computer shop and they have found that the power supply unit had gone

So `im up and running again !! it was in repair for just under two days and they charged me £35

which I thought was quite good I don`t think I`ve been ripped off at that sort of price !

Cheers

Fluff

• Moderators

Welcome back Fluffy!!

Sounds like you have some good guys at that computer shop.

Make sure you drop in a packet of sweets for them next time you pass. You never know if you might need them again :)

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Thanks Guys!

I did jokingly say I hope I don`t see them again too soon !

Nice idea Hazelnut...the amusing thing is they are not what one might assume what computer technicians look like,(i know we should never catergorise or assume things about people) but these guys are about six foot six and lift weights !!!they have arms like tractors !! brains and brawn !! :lol:

• 3 weeks later...