Ubuntu

login123

I can go a couple of months without using one and then get the bug again.

:lol: This particular addiction, linuxaholic, is new to me...I like it.

I remember that Rridgely liked Mint a while back.

Downloading both right now. Looks like it'll be a while.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

I installed the newest version of ubuntu to try it out. Its ok, but I cant use it for my primary OS.

1. Font rendering sucks. The fonts look gray instead of black and are no where near as sharp as true type under windows.(this is true even after installing the windows fonts.)

2. drivers still blow for graphics cards.(HUGE performance drop out of my 5770) No games to play anyway I guess.. maybe linux will get Steam if Mac is successful.

3. Not even in the same league as Win7 when you compare the software available for it.

Its just not as good as windows, It doesn't matter that its free. Only way I would use linux is if I was using something like mythtv on a htpc but even then I would have to get rid of my already better alternatives( DVR and ps3/xbox360 which I connect to through media center.)

You're lucky to have even gotten your hd5xxx series to work. *buntu 10.04 won't even display anything on my HD5570. It's the only reason (next to using steam to play games) that I'm using windows.

Mint will always be one of my favourites. Linux Mint 9 Isadora is the latest one.

WOW! Thanks Hazelnut! I never heard of Mint. I just finished checking out their web site and will start trying this OS pretty soon. I'm slowly dabbling with the idea of weening myself off of the M$ teet, and have installed Ubuntu 9.10 as a dual-boot on one of my computers. Ubuntu is a good OS for what I would need beyond XP, but it doesn't hurt to check out other options. XP is still my workhorse, and will be until, as the gun-guys say, "you can have it when you pry it from my cold, dead hands".

Hi, Mickey Way. :D

I am on the same quest, looking for a good, stable, controllable OS as an alternative to windows. Or maybe a replacement.

I downloaded the CD and DVD .iso files. The dvd version comes in at 781,530 kb, just above CD size, so I'm running it on a read only DVD, will put it onto a USB stick when I can.

Would be interested how your efforts work out.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Interesting thing just happened. While using Mint 9, I found it necessary to open an old microsoft word document with email addresses in it. It is password protected. OpenOffice required the password and then opened the document. Good deal, I guess...means that previous work done on Word is useful in OpenOffice.

OK, OK, probably everybody in the universe knew that, but I didn't. :)

Hi login.

I can't tell from your last two posts if you have installed 9 or just running live.

Well, I just finished installing Mint 9. I'm downloading updates right now. (I'm on another computer to write this...KVM's sure are handy!) Last night after posting here, I downloaded the i386 standard version via torrent, checked the MD5 with HashTab, then burnt and verified the disc with Astroburn Lite. (I chose the standard version because the additional software on the DVD version can be downloaded at any time later.) Then booted from CD. The list that comes up has a "check disc" option, so I ran that and it came out with flying colors. Then I ran it live for awhile just to see what's what. At first glance, it's just a green-color version of Ubuntu 9.10 with the exact same features, but built in a Windows-like configuration.

Today, I backed up the XP and started the Mint 9 disc. The partition set-up went perfectly. (320GB HDD. I gave Mint 65GB.) Then after full install, I rebooted and the GRUB worked perfectly. The ONLY bugs I encountered were on one of the install screens; the text was cut-off on the bottom and you couldn't see the other options, but since I chose "log in automatically" (same screens as Ubuntu), it didn't matter. The other one is during the install, the progress bar gets confused. It was at 88%, then dropped to 84%, did the same in the 90% range as well, then it appeared to be stuck/locked up at 94%, but after a long while, it does finish.

If you haven't done this before, it's a piece of cake. Just remember to reboot and run your Windows OS because it has to make some adjustments as well. (It will automatically check the file system because it knows something has changed.)

Well login, I hope this helps. It's now just a matter of feeling out everything and finding tweaks. I've been causally playing with Ubuntu 9.10 for the past few weeks, and since this is quite simular, I can bounce back and forth between the two for testing.

Just running live DVD right now. Must summon more courage to install it to the HD, but I must say you made it sound pretty easy. :)

I understand not wanting to install it just yet. I did the same thing with Ubuntu for a couple of months just checking it out live. The big thing is: if you install it on XP, it's there to stay unless you either download a partitioning tool to help remove it, or do a complete reinstall and start all over...CLEAN. (Either way can be a headache for alot of people.) If you have Win 7, you can just go into the Disc Manager and delete it! POP!

I kinda lucked out when my neighbors parents computer died. They gave it to me and all I did was spend $45 on a mobo. It's perfect for trying ANYTHING new, like Ubuntu and Mint. (I'm writing this on Mint 9 using their old computer, now dual boot with XP and Mint 9.) If something fowls up, no big loss. All the important stuff is on my other computer.

Oops, I made a typo yes I meant VirtualBox not Virtual PC :\

You can still get Virtual PC for XP but you need version 2007 though the latest version seems to be for Windows 7 only.

If you're using XP Home Edition the installer will say "Host OS Not Supported" just ignore it and continue the installation.

FYI: VirtualBox supports 2 different sound cards, I would strongly recommend using ICH AC97 over Sound Blaster 16.

As for bootable Linux CDs I would like to add DSL (Damn Small Linux) to the list, it's only a 50Mb ISO and packed with lots of useful programs. :)

Richard S.

Redhawk you nailed it, what a suggestion, I have just finished downloading and am now running (typing this under a DSL Live CD boot) and what a great little BIG bang bit of OS. Other than geting one used to a different OS, it is bloody fast, thanks for the suggestion.

PS: whilst I have 2 other Linux live CD OS that I sometimes use this one has the advantage that running from an 80mm CD that fits in my top shirt pocket (particularly now that I have stopped smoking) DSL will travel with me daily with my usual USB sticks. :D

Always With Kind Regards

Tasgandy

"one is never too old to listen & learn"

If you haven't done this before, it's a piece of cake. Just remember to reboot and run your Windows OS because it has to make some adjustments as well. (It will automatically check the file system because it knows something has changed.)

Well login, I hope this helps. It's now just a matter of feeling out everything and finding tweaks. I've been causally playing with Ubuntu 9.10 for the past few weeks, and since this is quite simular, I can bounce back and forth between the two for testing.

It has helped tremendously, thanks. I have an empty partition created by Acronis Disk Director, ~61.5 gb, but it is a logical partition, not a primary partition. Does Mint have to boot from a primary partition?

edit: off to get DSL, missed it first time, thanks Tasgandy and Redhawk. All this downloading, These phone wires are getting warm....

Redhawk you nailed it, what a suggestion, I have just finished downloading and am now running (typing this under a DSL Live CD boot) and what a great little BIG bang bit of OS. Other than geting one used to a different OS, it is bloody fast, thanks for the suggestion.

I posted about DSL some time back! :)

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=12931&st=0&p=88131&hl=Damn%20Small%20Linux&fromsearch=1entry88131

Simplicity is hard.

You did indeed post about it sometime back, and when I got ready to download it I already had it. Getting so many files I can't remember them. :P

edit: AND, had it on a CD. I gotta remember to take that memory pill.

Holy crap, I am trying to download the Ubuntu ISO right now but the problem is that with my slow connection, it will take about a day, literally to complete 699 MB. I need to test stuff with it.

Since Windows 7 has a built in ISO burner, I assume that will do without a third party ISO burner program. I am aware that you can launch Ubuntu from the burned CD.

But here are the questions, I have not clarified myself:

1. I am downloading Ubuntu with Firefox but after I close Firefox, then after some time, open it again to resume the download, there would be this message that the download has failed in a reason that it cannot connect to the server blah blah blah even if my Internet is working. How do I fix that????

2. I have 2 disk partitions, local disk C has Windows 7 installed but I several programs and files that are kept in local disk D, if I install Ubuntu on local disk D, can I still access my programs and files there using Windows 7 on local disk D or will Ubuntu prevent that from happening????

I love computer maintenance tasks.

Some of my favorite programs:

Wordpad -basic word processing

Notepad - temporary clipboard and basic scripting module

Windows Media Player 12- video, music and online radio player

Windows Media Center - live TV, local FM radio

CCleaner- handy computer maintenance tool

If something fails to work after using the registry cleaner, use SYSTEM RESTORE.

I am using Internet Download Manager, but if you want a Freeware, try Free Download Manager. Standalone DMs are much better than Browser download managers.

Simplicity is hard.

• Moderators

I am posting this using the SliTaz live cd.

It's just a 30MB (yes 30) download..unbelievable.

The only thing I had to configure was my keyboard language (using the up and down arrows on the keyboard. It ran so quickly from when I put in the disk and rebooted I thought something had gone wrong!

It has the Midori web browser build in and quite a few other things such as music player, screen shot taker, package manager and a ready to use web server!

Very nice indeed.

http://www.slitaz.org/

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

I've been using Jolicloud on my netbook since the beginning of the year. Great little OS build with netbooks in mind.

I've been looking at using Wubi on my desktop PC. Just curious if anyone has used it and what experiences they have. I like the idea of running the installer directly from Windows and the installer creates the dual booting process automatically. Jolicloud used the same process.

...it will take about a day, literally to complete 699 MB...

...the questions...

2. I have 2 disk partitions, local disk C has Windows 7 installed but I several programs and files that are kept in local disk D, if I install Ubuntu on local disk D, can I still access my programs and files there using Windows 7 on local disk D or will Ubuntu prevent that from happening????

Hi, ishi. :)

Don't Know about Q #1

Re: q #2,

I'm pretty sure that if you install to your disk D, that will erase your data and reformat D to the linux filesystem format. Maybe another member will confirm this.

I am new to the linux game, and running WXP.

FYI: I installed Puppy 5 to a usb stick and that worked pretty well.

Right now am running KNOPPIX from a live cd.

- It has a built in browser called "Iceweasle". Who thinks of this stuff?

- Turned on an application called "Orca", it turns text into speech, cannot figure out how to turn it off. Driving me nuts. :P

Edit:

Now back using WXP and IE7. KNOPPIX and Iceweasel are too unfamiliar for me right now.

Ishi, Trying to find the answer to your q#2, I started at:

http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop

searched for "hard drive installation" then got as far as here:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WindowsDualBoot

and decided that it was simply too uncertain (for me, a newbie), so will just use a USB stick or live cd for right now.

1. I am downloading Ubuntu with Firefox but after I close Firefox, then after some time, open it again to resume the download, there would be this message that the download has failed in a reason that it cannot connect to the server blah blah blah even if my Internet is working. How do I fix that????

What is your internet connection type? Dial-up modem, cable, DSL?

I don't know what your computer "habits" are, but rather than pausing or stopping the download, what I do is start a big, slow download an hour or two before going to bed. Depending on your download speed, it should be complete when you wake up.

Also, I'm not sure about Win 7 having an image burning tool, but the best alternative is a simple little one-window tool called Astroburn Lite. Take a look at their home page here;

http://www.astroburn.com/products/abLite

(Don't be confused by the "Buy Now" button. It is a free program.)

I just burnt an ISO of CrunchBang using Astroburn Lite on a 12 year old CD burner and the disc came out perfect.

Thanks for that...I should have said that Linux will allow me to change "stuff" (the technical term :P ) that should not be changed.

I also find Wine to be buggy. And, after having sung Ubuntu's praises, I cannot get my sound to work while using it.

My experience with Ubuntu which I downloaded twice (last one yesterday Ver 10.04) both resulted in a "unrecoverable error" message.........who knows I was not able to solve and moved on. (The PC is a dual boot Win7 & XP Pro). The miniature DSL (50 MB) Linux works very well (carry that with me and use when on-site working on suspect laptops)and Puppy 5 is nothing short of brilliant.

Indeed I am typing this reply login123 under a Puppy 5 boot on the Dual boot PC with no problems at all. Sound works well, screen resolution choices same as Windows, the "Pnethood SAMBA Shares" application gives me access to all 4 other PC's on the network (3 Windows boxes and my mates Linux Debian Movie File Server). I managed to download Thunderbird via Firefox browser (included) and installed, configured etc. all working well. Also "WINE" works very well, so far I have tried, wine notepad, wine IE Explore, wine file manager etc. Puppy 5 ships with it's own set of business, Graphics etc. Apps. Excellent way to experience / learn Linux without stuffing my Win 7 / XP Pro box. I have not only been able to access and watch avi movies across the network on the Puppy 5 OS but it seems to access and commence the movie much faster than Windows OS. It also shipps with it's own CD / DVD Blu-Ray burning app, which I have not tried yet.

The speed at which it boots to the desktop is about 20 seconds as Puppy 5 creates (if you choose to) a "Lupusave-username.2FJ file (written to the HD) which seems stores all the necessary information (keyboard, time date format, location, GMT, network, sound, video Res and apps) that you have since installed, and as Hazelnut stated you can even remove the Puppy 5 boot CD enabling you full access to your CD / DVD bay.

So good luck hope all works well for you as it did for me, I would be interested to hear how you go.

Always With Kind Regards

Tasgandy

"one is never too old to listen & learn"

Hi, Tasgandy, thanks for that information.

OK, I'm gonna try it, install and dual boot to either Mint or Puppy 5.

My earlier comment about Wine referred to the version in Ubuntu and SLAX. Just couldn't get it to work right there. Worked OK in Puppy 5.

For readers on here who are even less tekkie than I, hard to imagine but possible, so I'm gonna say this at the risk of sounding pedantic: Be Careful...Linux OSs will allow you to mess up your windows installation pretty badly. See Redhawks warning in post 2.

...The big thing is: if you install it on XP, it's there to stay unless you either download a partitioning tool to help remove it, or do a complete reinstall and start all over...CLEAN.

Mickey Way, I have Acronis True Image and Disk Director installed. These will handle partitioning and formatting duties OK within windows. Do you (or anyone) know if they will allow me to reformat a partition which has a linux OS installed? Just in case...

Well, a Linux partition is still a partition, so you should be able to reformat it in a Windows-supported filesystem. Windows has a built-in tool for that.

Start >> Run >> diskmgmt.msc wink.gif

Piriform French translator