Restore function

Bert18

After running CCleaner my Restore function has disappeared--there are no restore points any more.

Anyone have any idea how to get them back? They are an important safety function to me.

Thanks!

bert18

After running CCleaner my Restore function has disappeared--there are no restore points any more.

Anyone have any idea how to get them back? They are an important safety function to me.

Thanks!

bert18

I have never had CC remove or delete any system restore points unless I specifically told it to do so by going to Tools-->System Restore. Are the restore points listed in CC under Tools-->System Restore?

The only time I had restore points deleted unintentionally, it was caused by a bug in my anti-virus, anti-spyware, firewall program and was not related to CC.

Win10 Pro x64 Desktop (Speccy) - Win10 Pro x64 Laptop (Speccy)

Thanks!

bert18

Hi Bert18, welcome.

The Restore function would not work, of course, if you have no points left, and I presume you can still create a restore point. I am unaware of any way to retrieve lost points. So you should create a new point immediately if you have not already done so.

As for unintentional removing of restore points, yes that has happened to me and others during Free Space Wipe as you can read by checking out very recent posts (within the past few days).

Edited

Hi Bert18, welcome.

The Restore function would not work, of course, if you have no points left, and I presume you can still create a restore point. I am unaware of any way to retrieve lost points. So you should create a new point immediately if you have not already done so.

As for unintentional removing of restore points, yes that has happened to me and others during Free Space Wipe as you can read by checking out very recent posts (within the past few days).

Edited

Hi! I cannot create a new point! The function is dead. How can I resurrect it? Everyone seems so calm about this lethal problem.

Do the software designers know about this?

• Moderators

Ccleaner does not have the ability to stop you making a restore point. What operating system are you using?

Things to try...do a cold boot (not a restart)

Confirm the System Restore Service is running in windows services.

Do a full virus/malware scan with up to date definitions.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

Oh.. this is looking bad. System Restore is the best way to fix things that have gone wrong or damaged but since you said that this life saving option is dead... this is looking really bad. I don't know any modules in the computer that can fix system restore. I suspect something went wrong in the Registry that killed system restore.

1.Are you sure that System Protection is enabled????

2.Are the services called Volume Shadow Copy and Microsoft Software Shadow Copy Provider are enabled????

3.What do you mean exactly by System Restore ceasing to function??? Does it just do nothing when you try to create a system restore point???

4. Did system restore work fine BEFORE you used CCleaner????

5. Did you use any other programs or do anything else before system restore ceased to function???

6. Have you made backups of the registry fixes you did with CCleaner??? If so try restoring them.

You can use a free program called FixWin. It can fix some problems concerning system restore.

Or simply use Goggle for "system restore not working"... here is a search I made for you.

http://www.google.com.ph/search?q=system+restore+not+working&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

I love computer maintenance tasks.

Some of my favorite programs:

Wordpad -basic word processing

Notepad - temporary clipboard and basic scripting module

Windows Media Player 12- video, music and online radio player

Windows Media Center - live TV, local FM radio

CCleaner- handy computer maintenance tool

If something fails to work after using the registry cleaner, use SYSTEM RESTORE.

Bert18,

Are you using Windows XP ? Then you can use a special explorer called ""EXplorerXP"" to see whether those System Restore Points (SRP) are really gone. Go in ExplorerXP to the folder ""System Volume Information"". If ExplorerXP tells you that that folder is larger than, say 20 Mb in size then one or more SRPs are still there. (Warning: ExplorerXP is not easy to use.)

Did you use the ""Wipe Free Space"" option in CC ? Then you can kiss your SRPs goodbye. The only remedy is:

1. Don't use ""Wipe Free Space"" any more. At least, not for the drive(s) for which you have activated Windows System Restore.

2. Make sure you don't fill all the space on a drive. Because every time you do that, Windows (NOT CC) WILL delete one or more SRPs on that drive AGAIN, in order to make more diskspace available.

If you have enough free diskspace and the SRP function enabled then, as time goes by, Windows will automatically create one or more new SRPs.

System setup: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gcNzIPEjEb0B2khOOBVCHPc

A discussion always stimulates the braincells !!!

. . . Everyone seems so calm about this lethal problem. . .

As catastrophic as it may appear, we try to practice hazelnut's motto "try to stay calm". The calmer we are, the easier it is to solve your problem with collective, clear, objective thinking. Rest assured, eventually your issue will be solved. We are behind you until it gets fixed, one way or another. :)