I'm beibg told CC Cleaner has corrupted my registry files

mike0723

I have used the free version of CC Cleaner for several years with no problems. I recently had some issues with my Vista 64 bit computer where it would disconnect my wireless printer 3 or 4 times a day. I took it to Best Buy (Geek Squad) and they are telling me the registry files have been corrupted by CC Cleaner and they want $130 to manually fix the problem which includes a full restore. This all sounds a bit fishy to me. Anyone else with a similiar problem? If a full resore is needed, I'm thinking of just going to Windows 7. Appreciate any help. Thanks.

Hi Mike, you were wise not to pay these people to fix your computer $130 is grossly over the top for what appears to be a simple problem.

I don't use wireless printers myself however since you can still use it then a) I doubt there's much wrong with your computer or system registry, b) it's highly likely to be an issue with your wireless router, perhaps there's interference/low signal with the set wifi channel??

Richard S.

I never remove anything from the registry without knowing exactly what it is. In a few minutes (probably) someone wiser than I will post here and ask you if you backed up the registry before cleaning it. I hope you did. Then they will tell you what to do and how to do it.

My suggestion is about Geek Squad. DON'T. They do the same thing to everybody. A full restore. Duh! Even I could do that myself. Restore! Restore! Restore! It's the only word they know. It's the only thing they do. Use your phone book. Find yourself a nice, honest geek who's trying to make a living. I live in a small town. There are two or three here. Their vocabulary is not limited to one word. They actually carry on conversations with me. And ask me what I want. AND they listen to my answers. AND they don't charge me three fingers and a toe.

If this gets too complicated and you were going to upgrade to Win7 anyway, maybe now would be a good time. Just don't ask the Geek Squad to install it for you.

Good luck.

The Geek Squad aka the Peek Squad*. They were busted prying into personal stuff. They are a rip off. They want big bucks just to install simple programs and adding memory that most kids can do.

If you are smart enough to use Piriform products you don't need them, you can probably fix it yourself. I would buy a new pc before ever asking them for help. There's plenty of free help here and at Geeks to Go and bleepingcomputer, and as writeaway suggested try your local geek.

Edited: *Google peek squad to review the horror stories.

• Moderators

This is just a stab in the dark, and may not be any help at all, but have you checked through all your Wireless Router settings in case anything has changed, or isn't set up correctly.

For a hardware device i.e. printer to work efficiently via wireless, I believe you should have "UPnP" (Universal Plug and Play) enabled:

UPnP is a network feature utilizing the Internet and Web protocols to promote the communicative exchange of information between networking devices. In other words, with UPnP, when a user plugs a device into a network (such as a printer), the device will self-configure by acquiring a TCP/IP address, and use a discovery protocol based on the Internet's Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP) to relay its presence and availability to all other networking devices connected to the network.

If you did have this setting enabled, your router may have dropped it, which could cause an issue.

With my Belkin wireless router, the setting is found under "Utilities", and is disabled by default.

Just a thought.

:)

EDIT: Changed quote.

This is just a stab in the dark, and may not be any help at all, but have you checked through all your Wireless Router settings in case anything has changed, or isn't set up correctly.

For a hardware device i.e. printer to work efficiently via wireless, I believe you should have "UPnP" (Universal Plug and Play) enabled:

If you did have this setting enabled, your router may have dropped it, which could cause an issue.

With my Belkin wireless router, the setting is found under "Utilities", and is disabled by default.

Just a thought.

:)

EDIT: Changed quote.

I just che4cked and it seems OK. got my computer back from BB without them doing anything. It seems I need to do some more research. It doesn't seem to be a problem with CC Cleanrer. Thanks.

If the Geek squad found the CCleaner Registry backup file with a vital key,

then they would be justified in blaming the problem on CCleaning,

BUT their knowledge of a backup file DOES NOT JUSTIFY A $130 RIP OFF ! !

I suspect it might be Geek Squad company policy that when a P.C. falls into their hands,

they will blame the existing problems on any "do-it-yourself" utilities such as CCleaner,

with the intention that in future you will got to them instead of do-it-yourself.

Alan