A way to reduce the defrag-time

vinh

I found a way to reduce the length of defragmentation time and therefore would like to tell you.

If I turn off the "System Restore" function before defragmentation, it significantly reduces the defragmentation time, e.g. from usually an hour to only 15-20 minutes (HDD 500GB, 15% used). Because during the defrag, the files were moved back and forth and Windows always creates new restore points, which makes the duration time damn long and even reduces the free volume thereafter! This is due to the behavior of Windows.

After defragmenting I turn the "System Restore" back on and create a new restore point, just in case.

Can you program the defraggler so that the "System Restore" feature can be switched off automatically, you'll get the shortest defrag time of all times :)

Regards

PS. My system: Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit, Core i3, RAM 4GB

I'm in Aethec's camp. System Restore has saved my skin many times. I like to keep all of 'em. Why not try deleting a few of the older ones, maybe half, and see if that cuts defrag run time. It's worth a try. I don't use defrag so it's not an issue with me.

That would be dangerous. System Restore is useful. You never know when you'll need it.unsure.gif

You are absolutely right, Aethec.

Just deleting the old restore points doesn't help to cut the defrag run time. Because it is not about to have fewer files to defragment, but Windows always create new restore points during the defragmentation. These creating processes have slowed down the run time enormous. Besides we just want to rearrange the files, not to have new ones. Therefore I tried to prevent this behavior of Windows and achieved much shorter run time. Of course it is dangerous while not having System Restore turned on, but it was just temporary. Immediately after the defragmentation, I switched it back on and created a new restore point.

So if the programmers of Piriform could have Windows to stop creating new restore points during the defrag process, while keeping all the old ones (because when you manually turn System Restore off, all points will be deleted), we will have a faster Defraggler and it is not dangerous anymore.