Urgent Problem

Kaelkitty

HELP! I accidentally ran CC Cleaner this morning while trying to empty my Recycle Bin. It has removed my Firefox Cookies, Download History, Internet Cache and Internet History and I DESPERATELY want them BACK! I had 3 months of History that I was using to document daily activities for my Cognitive Behavioural therapist and I have no idea what to do now.

Do you have a system restore point that was made in the last few days??? In my mind, doing system restore is the best thing you can do to restore your browsing history that is if you are using Windows 7 but I haven't tried that yet, not too sure with XP or Vista. If you don't want this to happen again, try uncheking all things under Firefox on the CCleaner's cleaning menu.

Also consider bookmarking your fave sites. Or if you are using Firefox 3.5 or later, you can just drag the tab where your site is opened to the Bookmarks toolbar which is located just below the address bar so you'll always have a shortcut to your fave sites.

I love computer maintenance tasks.

Some of my favorite programs:

Wordpad -basic word processing

Notepad - temporary clipboard and basic scripting module

Windows Media Player 12- video, music and online radio player

Windows Media Center - live TV, local FM radio

CCleaner- handy computer maintenance tool

If something fails to work after using the registry cleaner, use SYSTEM RESTORE.

OK, I have tried that and still no history - only that from today, since the clean. System Restore said something about renaming a file from "cache" to Cache(3) but I don't really understand what that means. I don't even want to think about my cookies - it's too scary. I have major memory problems associated with Asperger's Syndrome and Post Concussion Syndrome and this is a big blow. Any further ideas. I do have an oldish back up on an external drive, but I think it might be too old to be useful - I know, my fault, I should do it more often, but it's part of the stuff that my therapy is slowly addressing that I just can't get properly organised.

Thank God, I just found this link:

http://www.blogsdna.com/4252/recover-deleted-firefox-35-history-with-firefox-history-recover.htm

Here is the download page for that application:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/ff3hr/

But I guess this only works if you are using Firefox 3 or later.

If something fails to work after using the registry cleaner, use SYSTEM RESTORE.

System Restore said something about renaming a file from "cache" to Cache(3) but I don't really understand what that means.

System Restore is supposed to restore the Operating System, and leave User Documents alone.

In practice Microsoft cannot decide what the Firefox cache is - horrible grey area.

When a Restore Point is created (either automatically every 24 hours, or upon demand),

it creates a backup of the registry, and "system files" - together with things like the cache.

When you go back to a previous restore point :-

the real system files and registry are restored;

the grey area things like the Firefox cache are the user's problem.

Microsoft do not want to know - so they restore from the restore point but do not over-write,

and that leaves you with two files, one of which is renamed Cache(3).

I cannot remember which gets the (3) suffix,

but the earlier one from the restore point can be seen from the "last modified" file time stamp.

That is what the cache and cache(3) is all about.

I DO NOT KNOW, but if the history is in the cache,

you may get it by renaming so the earliest is called "cache" and the latest "cache(new)".

Alan

Hi Alan,

I get daily System Restore points - I just don't know where to find these "cache" files - Search won't (or can't) find them even though I have everything set to "show hidden files" The other program (ff3hr) didn't work for me - I think it only works for Firefox 3.5, not 3.6. I tried Recuva on the Mozilla Profiles folder but no luck.

It's nearly 3am. I am going to bed! I'll check in again tomorrow.

I find cache, on XP Home with SP3, at

C:\Documents and Settings\Dad\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\jzj1inju.default\Cache

You should find it when you change "Dad" to your user name

and I do not know if Firefox always uses "jzj1inju" or if it is a variable upon installation.

I think you will find Cache, Cache(2), Cache(3) etc. all together under

C:\Documents and Settings\???\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\????????.default\

If you can find various Cache(?) then with Firefox closed you could rename them so the earliest one has no suffix, i.e. plain "Cache". Then when you start Firefox again it will use the Cache which was the oldest.

I really do not know whether the information you need is in any cache, or somewhere else.

SUGGESTIONS TO AVOID FUTURE DISASTERS :-

1) If an accidental click on the Recycle Bin context menu launched CCleaner,

it would be better to got to CCleaner/Options/Settings, and uncheck the 2 off Recycle Bin context options.

2) Also at CCleaner/Options/Settings check the option "Normal file Deletion", and uncheck any WIPE doptions.

If "Secure File Deletion" or any WIPE options are checked, then deleted files cannot be recovered. RECUVA and anything else will fail.

Regards and best wishes

Alan

Hi Alan,

OK, first things first

1) I have changed the settings to remove RUN.. , I don't mind OPEN..

2) I am stuffed - Wipe Master File Table and Wipe C: were both checked..

3) I wanted to give you a "plus" for your reply and the forum said I can't because I am over my quota of positive votes, when I haven't given any yet today - what's up with that?

I have all the Piriform products and, generally speaking, I like them a lot - but I think what happened to me reveals a small design flaw in CCleaner - when you click on that option there really SHOULD be a small pop-up window that says "are you sure you want to.." with an option to exit at that point. I installed CCleaner back in January this year and took a look at it and decided that I wasn't ready to use it until I really knew what files would be affected so those options were just sitting there like a time bomb all this time!

Secondly, you seem to know stuff that I should know, in order to use my computer better. In my Profiles folder this morning there are NO Cache files, except for -

C:\Documents and Settings\User_2\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\XXXXXXXX.default\extensions.cache but that file has a create date of 5.30PM 12 May, which is about 10 hours AFTER I stuffed things up.

The things I really want to discuss with you seem to be moving away from the Piriform products and more into general computer usage - is there some other forum or place where we could communicate to avoid cluttering up this forum with non-relevant stuff?

Ciao, Kaelkitty.

I suspect the Cache(3) was made after the restore operation because the folder called "Cache" in C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\jzj1inju.default\ (for Windows XP) or C:\Users\name\AppData\Local\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\sawb347j.default (for Vista and Windows 7) is deleted when you clear Firefox's history so doing system restore might have brought back a folder also named "Cache" from the time this restore point was created thus we now have multiple folders named "Cache" so there would be a folder named Cache, another named Cache(2), and another named Cache(3) and that would happen in theory if you made a restore operation twice but otherwise I do not know if deleting the folder named Cache and renaming the folder named Cache(3) will restore history as well.

Kaelkitty, have you tried the program I suggested you yet???

I did try it Ishi, but I couldn't get it to work. I did a bit of googling and discovered that the files have been changed between 3.5 (which it apparently works on) and 3.6 which I have.

Also, there is NO Cache folder in my profiles Folder here are the files -

C:\Documents and Settings\User_2\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\XXXXXXXX.default\blocklist.xml

C:\Documents and Settings\User_2\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\XXXXXXXX.default\bookmarks.bak

C:\Documents and Settings\User_2\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\XXXXXXXX.default\bookmarks.html

C:\Documents and Settings\User_2\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\XXXXXXXX.default\bookmarks.html.sbsd.bak

C:\Documents and Settings\User_2\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\XXXXXXXX.default\cert8.db

C:\Documents and Settings\User_2\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\XXXXXXXX.default\compatibility.ini

C:\Documents and Settings\User_2\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\XXXXXXXX.default\compreg.dat

C:\Documents and Settings\User_2\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\XXXXXXXX.default\content-prefs.sqlite

C:\Documents and Settings\User_2\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\XXXXXXXX.default\cookies.sqlite

C:\Documents and Settings\User_2\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\XXXXXXXX.default\cookies.sqlite-journal

C:\Documents and Settings\User_2\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\XXXXXXXX.default\downloads.sqlite

C:\Documents and Settings\User_2\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\XXXXXXXX.default\extensions.cache

C:\Documents and Settings\User_2\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\XXXXXXXX.default\extensions.ini

C:\Documents and Settings\User_2\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\XXXXXXXX.default\extensions.rdf

C:\Documents and Settings\User_2\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\XXXXXXXX.default\formhistory.dat

C:\Documents and Settings\User_2\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\XXXXXXXX.default\formhistory.sqlite

C:\Documents and Settings\User_2\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\XXXXXXXX.default\hostperm.1

C:\Documents and Settings\User_2\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\XXXXXXXX.default\key3.db

C:\Documents and Settings\User_2\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\XXXXXXXX.default\localstore.rdf

C:\Documents and Settings\User_2\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\XXXXXXXX.default\mimeTypes.rdf

C:\Documents and Settings\User_2\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\XXXXXXXX.default\parent.lock

C:\Documents and Settings\User_2\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\XXXXXXXX.default\permissions.sqlite

C:\Documents and Settings\User_2\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\XXXXXXXX.default\persdict.dat

C:\Documents and Settings\User_2\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\XXXXXXXX.default\places.sqlite

C:\Documents and Settings\User_2\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\XXXXXXXX.default\places.sqlite-journal

C:\Documents and Settings\User_2\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\XXXXXXXX.default\pluginreg.dat

C:\Documents and Settings\User_2\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\XXXXXXXX.default\prefs.js

C:\Documents and Settings\User_2\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\XXXXXXXX.default\search.json

C:\Documents and Settings\User_2\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\XXXXXXXX.default\search.rdf

C:\Documents and Settings\User_2\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\XXXXXXXX.default\search.sqlite

C:\Documents and Settings\User_2\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\XXXXXXXX.default\secmod.db

C:\Documents and Settings\User_2\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\XXXXXXXX.default\sessionstore-1.js

C:\Documents and Settings\User_2\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\XXXXXXXX.default\sessionstore.bak

C:\Documents and Settings\User_2\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\XXXXXXXX.default\sessionstore.js

C:\Documents and Settings\User_2\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\XXXXXXXX.default\signons.sqlite

C:\Documents and Settings\User_2\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\XXXXXXXX.default\signons2.txt

C:\Documents and Settings\User_2\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\XXXXXXXX.default\signons3.txt

C:\Documents and Settings\User_2\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\XXXXXXXX.default\urlclassifier2.sqlite

C:\Documents and Settings\User_2\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\XXXXXXXX.default\urlclassifierkey3.txt

C:\Documents and Settings\User_2\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\XXXXXXXX.default\webappsstore.sqlite

C:\Documents and Settings\User_2\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\XXXXXXXX.default\xpti.dat

and the folders are -

chrome

conduit

EBSuggestHistory

CT2438727

minidumps

extensions

and

bookmarkbackups I had hopes with the last one, but it only holds my bookmarks and not my Firefox browsing History

If you read my replies to Alan above you will see that it looks like I have stuffed my chances of getting anything back and I am thinking that what I really need is more general computer advice, so I can avoid doing dumb things like this again in the future!

Ciao, Kaelkitty.

Well the Cache folder is deleted when you empty Firefox's cache but is recreated when you start using Firefox again. The easiest way for me to bookmark sites is simply drag the tabs where your fave sites opened into the bar just below the address bar, called the Bookmarks toolbar and a shortcut to those sites will be available in the bookmarks toolbar everytime you open Firefox. And please, DO NOT check the "Wipe Free Space" option for cleaning, its not something that should be done on a regular cleaning.

I wanted to give you a "plus" for your reply and the forum said I can't because I am over my quota of positive votes, when I haven't given any yet today - what's up with that?

The things I really want to discuss with you seem to be moving away from the Piriform products and more into general computer usage - is there some other forum or place where we could communicate to avoid cluttering up this forum with non-relevant stuff?

Ciao, Kaelkitty.

Thanks for the "plus", even though it does not register - which I believe is a forum option that has not yet been implemented.

I have been developing operating system, software, and hardware for micro-processors before the first IBM PC,

hence I know how computers ought to work - not like Windows ! !

I have only started doing things with a PC for the last 4 years, Windows 95, Windows 98, and now XP.

I have gained detailed knowledge of a few particular features of Windows that have caused me grief.

There are many aspects which I am still learning about, and do not feel competent to advise upon.

I suggest you continue posting questions in this forum if they are CCleaner specific,

but for more general advice you could try the 5 forums under "Help and Discussion" at

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?act=idx

Regards

Alan

This is to Ishi:

I have bookmarks (I probably have several thousand - I'm too scared to count them). What I have lost is my browsing HISTORY - not the same thing at all. What I have lost is my day to day record of EVERY site I have visited, which I have been trawling through to create an hour by hour record of how I spend my time for my CBT therapist. What I find weird, is that I did a System Restore to a time 5 hours BEFORE the clean and THAT System restore obviously "thought" there WAS a Cache file because it said that it had renamed the existing file to Cache(3) but I can't find ANY Cache file numbered or un-numbered!

This to Alan:

I know what you mean about "how computers ought to work"! I studied Computer Science at Undergraduate level at University in the mid 1980s. I was coping fine under DOS, but ever since I switched to Windows (My upgrade path was Windows 3.1->Win 95->Win 2000->XP) I have understood less and less about what is going on "under the hood" (so to speak) with each new OS version I encounter. I was just thinking that since you were running XP Home SP 3, which is the same as my system, you might be able to help me out from a common perspective.

Ciao, Jacq.

Well I mentioned quite a number of times, this "Cache" that I am speaking of is NOT a file but a FOLDER that contains files that make up your browsing history.

I have far more trust in Windows 7's system restore operation, cause its faster and you can actually restore individual folders or even individual files from the time that restore point was made. It completely outdoes Windows XP, Windows Vista or any other OS I have tried in terms or backup and recovery.

Since you said, you have far too many bookmarks, I have made a way to "bookmark" sites without even using Firefox's bookmarking module or the Bookmarks toolbar and it will always probably launch your default browser to the designated link or if you have Firefox opened, running it will luach a new tab to the designated link. We will use batch files but this is very simple. Follow it carefully:

1. Create a new folder on the desktop so its easy to access and name it anything you like but lets name it "My Bookmarks".

2. We will bookmark the Piriform Forums for example. Open Notepad and type this:

@echo off

start

http://forum.piriform.com

3. Save this Notepad file into the "My Bookmarks" folder you just created and name it Piriform.bat

It should appear as a batch file. Just double click it and a new tab on Firefox opens, taking you to the designated link which is the Piriform Forums. You just have to do the same step on every link you wanna bookmark. I know this is a bit longer but what choice do you have if you have too many bookmarks already???

One simpler method is just paste the links of the sites you wanna bookmark into a single Notepad document and just highlight them and copy, then paste to the address bar and that's it.

I'm sorry Ishi but you are missing both the points I am trying to make

1/ there is NO Cache Folder

2/ I don't just want to know what sites I visit, but where I go within those sites, and, even more importantly HOW LONG I spend on each site

Bookmarks are for sites I want to go back to, but I might not always know when I first visit a site that I want to go back to it.

Are you sure you went to the right location??? Maybe the "Cache" folder is hidden. To show hidden files, open Tools on Windows Explorer, Folder Options, open the View tab and mark "Show Hidden, Files, Folders and Drives. But on Windows 7, it is shown. Remember that the Cache folder always gets deleted if you clear Firefox's history but recreated when you start browsing with Firefox again.

I always leave Hidden Files showing - no one but me comes into my house and I prefer to see what is going on.

The attached JPG is is what I see when I open my profiles folder in Explorer - you can see everything I can see. I did a global disk search for "Cache" in all folders and filenames, including hidden folders and found nothing! My current history for the last three days, since the restart is 1064 lines, and my current firefox session has been running since 9.10 this morning - surely there would be some kind of caching activity by now? I am just about ready to tear my hair out. Ciao, Kaelkitty.post-37518-127399606276_thumb.jpg

Wow that is a weird looking purple theme. I have not researched about this "Cache" folder when I was using Windows XP but in what you have shown, I believe that those files listed and sorted there are actually what the "Cache" folder should contain and maybe, just maybe, Windows XP does not have a "Cache" folder at all for Firefox.

Hi

Microsoft have far too many folders with identical names and confusion of paths.

I think you have been digging into

C:\Documents and Settings\Dad\Application Data\........... where you need instead

C:\Documents and Settings\Dad\Local Settings\Application Data\

On my system the file "extensions.cache" is in one specific location :-

C:\Documents and Settings\Dad\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\jzj1inju.default .... you actually need

C:\Documents and Settings\Dad\Local Settings\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\jzj1inju.default\Cache

I think you have been looking at sshot-157.gif - the larger attached image with no name ! !

This has extensions.cache which is not what we need.

The cache we need is the second item down on the right, as shown in sshot-155.gif

This shows a folder size of 1.84 MB when I started this reply,

it is now up to 2.00 MB without me switching TABs or doing anything but uploading images.

My cache holds 23 files with last modified dates = created dates,

ranging from 16/05/2010 10:06 through to 16/05/2010 10:20

plus one created at 10:14 and modified at 11:11

and another brand new one created and modified at 11:11.

The folder cache was created at 10:06 and last modified at 11:11

Along side your Cache could be Cache(2), Cache(3) etc.

If they are not there you could try going back to an earlier Restore Point,

and take very careful note of what System Restore says about the Cache(3) etc etc.

especially the path, because there are many caches on my system that have nothing to do with Firefox.

If you can find one that was modified before your disaster that will hold pre-disaster data,

but as I previously commented, I do not know whether cache holds what you need,

I was only explaining how Cache(3) etc comes into existence.

Regards

Alan

post-19700-127400526423_thumb.gif

post-19700-127400606076_thumb.gif

1. Pleasant surprise that my images have file names.

Some months ago any uploaded images were anonymous - i.e. the file names were not shown on the forum.

2. I see no advice from anyone upon the actual contents of Cache, nor of where browsing history is kept.

Just Googled for

firefox 3.6 browser history location

That gives "About 127,000 results (0.20 seconds)", and I looked at

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/profiles

That says

places.sqlite - This file contains all your Firefox bookmarks and a list of websites you have previously visited.

The only places.sqlite I can find is at

C:\Documents and Settings\Dad\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\jzj1inju.default

On my system that was created 19 August 2008, 11:30:15

and modified on 16 May 2010, 12:02:47

I see no evidence within my Restore Points of any *.sqlite

so I do not think it is available to restore,

i.e. Microsoft decided this was a "User Document" to omit from Restore Points,

rather than a "System File" to be included.

Places.sqlite comes from one result out of 127,000,

there may be another 126,999 possibilities to explore ! !

OOPS - CORRECTION

Just seen Ident has posted the suggestion of history.dat.

I will not argue - he could be right.

I have just searched and history.dat does not exist on my system,

but it may appear when I close Firefox and it tidies up and closes,

in which case it will disappear as I use CCleaner to clean and shut down at the end of the day.

Regards

Alan

1. Pleasant surprise that my images have file names.

Some months ago any uploaded images were anonymous - i.e. the file names were not shown on the forum.

2. I see no advice from anyone upon the actual contents of Cache, nor of where browsing history is kept.

Just Googled for

firefox 3.6 browser history location

That gives "About 127,000 results (0.20 seconds)", and I looked at

http://support.mozilla.com/en-US/kb/profiles

That says

places.sqlite - This file contains all your Firefox bookmarks and a list of websites you have previously visited.

The only places.sqlite I can find is at

C:\Documents and Settings\Dad\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\jzj1inju.default

On my system that was created 19 August 2008, 11:30:15

and modified on 16 May 2010, 12:02:47

I see no evidence within my Restore Points of any *.sqlite

so I do not think it is available to restore,

i.e. Microsoft decided this was a "User Document" to omit from Restore Points,

rather than a "System File" to be included.

Places.sqlite comes from one result out of 127,000,

there may be another 126,999 possibilities to explore ! !

OOPS - CORRECTION

Just seen Ident has posted the suggestion of history.dat.

I will not argue - he could be right.

I have just searched and history.dat does not exist on my system,

but it may appear when I close Firefox and it tidies up and closes,

in which case it will disappear as I use CCleaner to clean and shut down at the end of the day.

Regards

Alan