CCleaner 2.31.1153 and Unused File Types

Good morning, I am using CCleaner 2.31.1153 to clean the Registry. The program also lists the file types ".b4j" (Back4sure backups) and ".tib" (Acronis True Image) as Unused. I think because Back4sure is Portable - and not installed on drive C - and True Image works from the bootable CD, being not installed on the drive C. Is it true ? What if I delete the said file types from the Registry ? Thank you very much.

Arturo63,

Nothing will happen when you delete those entries from the registry using CC. When those filetypes are listed in the registry then it means somewhere in the past you have used those filetypes in a program or a program you used can handle those filetypes.

I think you have chosen the wrong place to post your question, because this is not bug in CC.

System setup: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gcNzIPEjEb0B2khOOBVCHPc

A discussion always stimulates the braincells !!!

Arturo63,

Nothing will happen when you delete those entries from the registry using CC. When those filetypes are listed in the registry then it means somewhere in the past you have used those filetypes in a program or a program you used can handle those filetypes.

I think you have chosen the wrong place to post your question, because this is not bug in CC.

Yes, I understand. But please notice that I still am using both Back4sure and Acronis True Image, therefore the file types "b4j" and "tib" aren't "Unused", as CC tells. Perhaps CC considers them Unused because the two programs aren't installed on the system disk C:\Programs ? Thanks,

Arturo63

• Moderators

I think that these messages are shown because there is no default application set when you open the files. In other words if you clicked on one of these files and Windows asked you what you wanted to open it with, and you chose an application but didn't tick the box that says 'Make this the default application' (or something like that).

As Willy says, the entries can be deleted with impunity. Like Arnie, they'll probably be back.

I think that these messages are shown because there is no default application set when you open the files. ...

As Willy says, the entries can be deleted with impunity. Like Arnie, they'll probably be back.

That's it

@ Arturo63: the strange thing is not CCleaner marking these files

the strange thing is having Acronis on a removable device B)

(7/11)

.!-!-!-!.

EsseCi @ logoyn.png

I think that these messages are shown because there is no default application set when you open the files. In other words if you clicked on one of these files and Windows asked you what you wanted to open it with, and you chose an application but didn't tick the box that says 'Make this the default application' (or something like that).

OK, now all is right and clear. Thank you very much.

That's it

@ Arturo63: the strange thing is not CCleaner marking these files

the strange thing is having Acronis on a removable device B)

I am using Acronis for the imaging of the system disk on two-weeks basis. Please, which is the vantage of a regular installation ? Thanks.

Arturo63,

Precisely, when you're using that program every two weeks then every time Windows will add that particular entry to registry again and again. The advantage of installing that program on your harddisk is that it works faster. It then no longer is forced to access the removable disk for information and that process is comparatively/very slow.

System setup: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gcNzIPEjEb0B2khOOBVCHPc

A discussion always stimulates the braincells !!!

Arturo63,

Precisely, when you're using that program every two weeks then every time Windows will add that particular entry to registry again and again. The advantage of installing that program on your harddisk is that it works faster. It then no longer is forced to access the removable disk for information and that process is comparatively/very slow.

OK, thank you. And thanks to all for your patient.

(Arturo63)