MS Word 2000

TexasFilly2878

I went in to open a NEW document, and OLD one popped up and when I went to close that one it always asks me if I want to Save changes. I didn't ask it to open a document and I didn't change anything.

I've already updated MS WORD 2000 so what do you think is the problem?

I also run everything you've listed on your PC page and downloaded all the spyware cleaners and ran them. What's up?

Thanks,

Texas

Hi ya! What's happening? I had NO idea what Oli was talking about. LOL Sorry

I go to Start and New Office Document, it opens a window that says Blank Document, Web Page, email message, Blank workbook, etc.... I click on BLANK DOCUMENT and it opens a document that I have in one of my folders. :( Also while it's opening up then at the bottom it says "Requesting virus scan". I go to X out that document (because it won't even let me open a new one from there) and it asks me if I want to save changes! I never changed anything!

I told you my computer is a MESS!!!! *WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA*

G'day folks,

it *sounds* like it could be a problem with your .dot file (Word Template File), ie; it's been corrupted somehow. Not sure of a fix straight off the bat but I'll post later on what I can find.

The other issue *might* be you've got a nasty within your system (as some virii will attack MSWord) which has corrupted your template file.

Sorry can't be of more help.

Cheers

WONDERFUL!!!!!! If ya find anything else that I can do let me know please. I'm going out to shoot pool awhile, but will be up late.

I just got over a virus in here and now this happens. All the SW I have running says everything is fine :(

Thanks and write when ya'll can figure it out LOL

What I did do was erased everything on that NEW document (that doesn't exist under that name) and renamed it "subject.doc" so that's my blank document for now LOL *sniff sniff*

With Word closed, search for Normal.dot which is the global Word template. You may find several in different folders if you have changed Word file location settings or there are multiple users on your computer.

Delete it (if you're uncomfortable with this, just rename it so that you can restore it later).

Open Word. It will create a new Normal.dot in the default template folder.

Check Tools > Options. All settings which are saved in Normal.dot (font, styles, etc.) will be MS original. If you customize such settings, I recommend you save a backup copy after you get things the way you want them (I make a copy and rename it Normal.dot.bak)

Forgot to mention, you may find a ~$Normal.dot in your search. This is a temp file that is supposed to clear when you close Word but if you have had problems, one may remain. It is also safe to delete.

With Word closed, search for Normal.dot which is the global Word template.  You may find several in different folders if you have changed Word file location settings or there are multiple users on your computer.

Delete it (if you're uncomfortable with this, just rename it so that you can restore it later).

Open Word.  It will create a new Normal.dot in the default template folder. 

Check Tools > Options.  All settings which are saved in Normal.dot (font, styles, etc.) will be MS original.  If you customize such settings, I recommend you save a backup copy after you get things the way you want them (I make a copy and rename it Normal.dot.bak)

Forgot to mention, you may find a ~$Normal.dot in your search.  This is a temp file that is supposed to clear when you close Word but if you have had problems, one may remain.  It is also safe to delete.

Thanks a million Glenn that worked GREAT!!!! :) The ~$Normal.dot was not there, but had two of the others and deleted them! They were in my Documents and Settings.