leaving one cookies

bowcastle

When using CCleaner v 2.31.1153, there is always one cookie that remains. I analyze, then run cleaner and after I do this I clicked the Options tab and then clicked the Cookies tab and there is one cookie listed (from notdoppler.com) that is in the Cookies to Delete box. Now matter what I do, it remains there. How do I get rid of it?

• Moderators

If it's affiliated with games you play that's one possible reason the cookie keeps reappearing, of course you can always empty cookies via your browsers.

That site is "safe" according to McAfee SiteAdvisor and Norton Safe Web

? http://www.siteadvis.../notdoppler.com

? http://safeweb.norto...=notdoppler.com

Yes, the cookie is from my kids going to notdoppler.com to play games. I have deleted the cookies by using the browser and then also used CCleaner to do all of its magic. I am just curious as to why, after doing all of that, the cookie is still listed in the Cookies to Deleted box.

• 4 years later...

It has been awhile and this notdoppler.com cookie is continuing to stay on my computer after CCleaner cleans up. I'm hoping there may be someone who may not have seen this query before who can now help me figure this out. I feel like Clifford Stoll in The Cuckoo's Egg.

What browser are you using?

I played a rousing few rounds of Piggy Wiggy 3 and the cookie was deleted without issue using Chrome Canary. I did not test with Firefox as I did not want to close my current session :lol:

Augeas, on 26 Feb 2015 - 6:23 PM, said:

OK, you get the Thread Bumper of the Year award, by a mile.

at least it's his thread and relevant! I've seen some impressive threadcromancy before :)

• Moderators
I'm attempting to add a screenshot

(Wow 5 years lol)

Please provide the entire ccleaner window, with the cookie highlighted, that way we can see (through the identifier at the bottom) to whom the cookies belongs.

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Augeas, at least I have that going for me!

Winapp2.ini, I mostly use Firefox. I also use Chrome on occasion.

Here's the thing, it doesn't matter what browser I use. I close all programs, run CCleaner (v 5.03.5128) and close CCleaner. Then I open CCleaner again, go to Options > Cookies and the notdoppler.com cookie is listed again. I didn't even open any browser.

Nergal, full screen capture is attached.

post-37446-0-11954600-1425031350_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

All wit to oneside, does CC get rid of the cookie and then it reappears, or is the cookie resistant to CC?

Do your children (or anyone) still access this site? (I know nothing about notdoppler except that it might be a web-based game site.)

Is this the same pc and the same o/s since 2010?

Have you tried to delete this cookie directly as a file?

If yes to one. three and four I would think that something on your pc is firing off to notdoppler.

• Moderators

Hazelnut is correct, it is a flash cookie

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

Hazelnut, Adobe Flash Player is ticked.

Augeas, when I run CC, the notdoppler.com cookie is not cleaned. I then can highlight it, right click it, and then click Delete now and it is deleted. I then click Cleaner to go to the Analyze screen and then once again click Options > Cookies and the notdoppler.com cookie reappears.

No one else visits the site. I am the only one who uses the laptop.

Yes, same pc and operating system since 2010.

I do not know how to delete the cookies as a file.

• Moderators

Are there any notdoppler games installed (after 2 years your kids are still using notdoppler games)?From their privacy policy

Certain games on Not Doppler will create "Local shared objects" which allow the game to save game progress so that when you return you can pick up from where you left off. Any game save data is stored only on your computer and not transferred to Not Doppler or any other third party.
So the game(s) that is installed are probably recreating it (and maybe running in the background?)

Nergal, no one downloaded any games and no one has used the computer to go to notdoppler.com to play any games since 2010 when I first posted about this silly cookie. It just baffles me. I can clean all LSO's, clean cookies from Firefox, then go to Firefox to view if any cookies are still there and there are none. I then open CCleaner, click Options the Cookies and notdoppler.com cookie shows up.

I do appreciate everyone who has offered a suggestion. I know this is trivial. But I want to find a solution. I know, I need to havemore interesting things in my life (I do, by the way) but this keeps popping up in my mind as to why this is happening.

• Moderators

Try disconnecting your internet connection, then running the CC delete process and see if the cookie reappears. If it doesn't then either notd is sending the cookie to you (unlikely) or that some application on your pc is attempting to contact notd (likely).

• Moderators

There's also the chance that CCleaner is incorrectly detecting the cookie, I've had that happen before when a cookie didn't exist in the browser or in Adobe Flash Player - CCleaner eventually stopped detecting it in my case.

Edited by Andavari

Augeas,

That has no effect. What I have since learned the cookie name is _cfdiud. I can go to (in Firefox) Tools > Options> Privacy > Show Cookies and expand the notdoppler.com cookies to reveal that it'sname is _cfduid (see screenshot below)

Also, from cloudflare's website I learn that the _cfduid cookie cannot be turned off

http://bit.ly/1E52HGl

What does the CloudFlare cfduid cookie do?
1012795_10151823996200432_1514332978.jpe
Damon
May 20, 2014 14:30

The __cfduid cookie is used to override any security restrictions based on the IP address the visitor is coming from. For example, if the visitor is in a coffee shop where there are a bunch of infected machines, but the visitor's machine is known trusted, then the cookie can override the security setting. It does not correspond to any userid in the web application, nor does the cookie store any personally identifiable information.

Note: This cookie is strictly necessary for site security operations and can't be turned off.

What's strange about this is I have an identical laptop that is pretty much set up the same way (same OS, browsers, applications) and on it I can visit notdoppler.com and I am able to delete the cookie with it not reappearing again when I clean it with CC then close CC then open CC again to see if it shows up again.

Again, to all who have chimed in, thank you for your efforts in helping me figure this out.

Andavari, this has been going on for almost 5 years. If it is incorrectly detecting the cookie I certainly hope it gets tired of doing that!

post-37446-0-95490000-1425134780_thumb.jpg

It seems that if you use sites that go through Cloudflare that flash cookie wil get reinstalled.  Is that what's happening, you think?
Anything helpful at these sites? 

http://www.aboutcookies.org/

has a link to the flash player control panel, this links you directly to the control panel for your computer: 

http://www.macromedia.com/support/documentation/en/flashplayer/help/settings_manager07.html

and to the firefox addon "BetterPrivacy 1.68", never used it, though. 

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/betterprivacy/

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

• Moderators

Although you didn't state you use Internet Explorer I wonder if the cookie could be from it, if so perhaps give Nirsoft IECookiesView a try to see if it finds it associated with IE. There's also a version available for Firefox called MozillaCookiesView.

Can't forget cookies can be written into the Windows registry.

• Moderators

It's a flash cookie, but Andavari is correct it maybe in a different flash cache than your usual Firefox. Try the flashcookiesview from the same site as he mentioned as well

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/flash_cookies_view.html

And also make sure firefox doesn't have any add-on that you don't want esp one from said internet site. Also open internet explorer's flash control panel or settings whichever they use and delete all cache, history ect for that flash

To follow-up on Andavari's registry suggestion. Open regedit with administrator privileges and search the site's name (without .com will give your more hits). Assassinate each and every found instance (within reason)