BUilding file list failed! Help please :)

Hi :)

I'll try to be as short as possible.

First of all, program is nicely done, I really like it :)

But, I have a little problem. I've made a screenshot, to make things easier :)

15f6scm.png

So, as you can see, drive D is defragmenting with no problems at all :)

BUT, it constantly shows me "Building File List Failed" error whenever I try to analyze or defragment drive C.

Please help me out :)

Thanks

P.S. If there is a thread solving this problem, please redirect me :)

Open a Command Prompt (Start >> Run... >> cmd ), and type chkdsk /R

If asked, reboot.

I hate to do this to people. :( This is what happened after I did what you've suggested.

4lstgy.png

(I even tried to kill all processes, but it still didn't work.)

Of course, I clicked Y, so when I rebooted, the following happened:

api4q8.jpg

Still, when the process was SUCCESSFULLY finished, it still wouldn't run defragment of drive C.

Can you defrag it with the built-in Windows defragmenter ?

Yeah, but it doesn't do much. It says:

"Some files could not be defragmented"

And by some, it means all, because the pic before and after def are 100% the same :|

Hi Stojke, and welcome to Piriform.

This is a long standing problem for some users of Defraggler. All I can suggest for the moment is can you run Defraggler in debug mode and post the logs here?

http://docs.piriform.com/defraggler/troubleshooting/running-defraggler-in-debug-mode

Thanks

Sure thing.

Log attached :)

P.S. Thanks on welcoming, it a nice forum :)

Defraggler.exe.1_18_1852010-05-05_12-59.txt

• 3 weeks later...

I also see the "Building File List Failed" error message, but the application will not defrag at all for me. The File List tab shows nothing - I'm not sure what it is supposed to show me. If I click Analyse I get the message Analysis failed. I am running version 1.19.192 and am attaching the debug log.

Note:

- Windows XP defrag works fine,

- jkDefrag (another defrag app) works fine,

- no errors from chkdsk.

I'm interested to take a look at your app (I like CCleaner), but am unable to use it at all given this error. Hope the log file helps.

EDIT:

oh, well tried to upload the log file but seems the attachment feature is not working. Also this thread is taking minutes to refresh or do anything in. Seems like there is a problem with the forum application.... If an admin wants me to send the log file through, just email me.

• Moderators

Hi hobbes, and welcome to Piriform.

Have another try at attaching the text file, as the attachment tool appears to be working OK.

After selecting "Attach File", are you selecting the "Add to post" button on the right side of the editor?

DGtbkl.jpg

Just a thought.

:)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi :)

I'll try to be as short as possible.

First of all, program is nicely done, I really like it :)

But, I have a little problem. I've made a screenshot, to make things easier :)

15f6scm.png

So, as you can see, drive D is defragmenting with no problems at all :)

BUT, it constantly shows me "Building File List Failed" error whenever I try to analyze or defragment drive C.

Please help me out :)

Thanks

P.S. If there is a thread solving this problem, please redirect me :)

I can see that you are using Win XP, but what Service Pack? SP3 is notorious for this kind of behavior. SP2 is a lot more stable. Would help to know how much RAM you have, processor type (AMD or Intel) & processor clock speed.

Thank you!

I can see that you are using Win XP, but what Service Pack? SP3 is notorious for this kind of behavior. SP2 is a lot more stable. Would help to know how much RAM you have, processor type (AMD or Intel) & processor clock speed.

Thank you!

I don't know it that can really help, but all right...

I'm using SP2 all my life ;)

My RAM is 2 slots with 1 GB on 533HZ each

CPU is Intel core 2 quad 2,44 GHz

I don't know it that can really help, but all right...

I'm using SP2 all my life ;)

My RAM is 2 slots with 1 GB on 533HZ each

CPU is Intel core 2 quad 2,44 GHz

Then update to SP3. As Haazelnut said, support for SP2 will end in a few weeks. wink.gif

Piriform French translator

Then update to SP3. As Haazelnut said, support for SP2 will end in a few weeks. wink.gif

Upgrading to SP3 is 100 euros here, so I don't know if I'll do that or go to W7 instantly...

Anyway what does that help solving the actual problem?

Well, it might be a bug in XP SP2 that was fixed by SP3, as Service Packs contains a lot of "hotfixes", i.e. fixes for rare bugs that only happen in certain conditions and not released to the general public because it would take too much time to test each one separately.

Microsoft can send disks of SP3 - it costs a little (~10 $), but as SP2 will have its support terminated, if you stay with it, there's a 100% chance you'll catch viruses once flaws are found in it since they won't be patched wink.gif

Piriform French translator

Well, it might be a bug in XP SP2 that was fixed by SP3, as Service Packs contains a lot of "hotfixes", i.e. fixes for rare bugs that only happen in certain conditions and not released to the general public because it would take too much time to test each one separately.

Microsoft can send disks of SP3 - it costs a little (~10 $), but as SP2 will have its support terminated, if you stay with it, there's a 100% chance you'll catch viruses once flaws are found in it since they won't be patched wink.gif

That's why I'll go to W7 instantly ;)

But still, it's possible it's not because of windows because some admin told earlier in this thread that "It's a common problem for users of degragler..."

That's why I'll go to W7 instantly ;)

But still, it's possible it's not because of windows because some admin told earlier in this thread that "It's a common problem for users of degragler..."

Newbie, the SP3 is free. MS does do a product activation, but you don't have to use that. If you google SP3 download, there are sites that do have SP3 that have already passed the check, so all you have to do is download from them. The download from MS is free, so all you have to do is find someone that has already passed the check & download it from them.

Since you are a SP2 user, you can always try the update to SP3 & see if that does or doesn't fix the problem.

In addition, if you know when the problem occurred firstly, you can try one of a number of other fixes.

Try System Restoring to the time when you know it last worked.

Try uninstalling SP2 (if it is not integrated) & see if it works then, then if it does, re-upgrade to SP2.

Try Upgrading your Defraggler to the last version (1.19, as opposed to your 1.18) to see if it works.

Try the quick defrag, or even the file based defrag (instead of full defrag) as sometimes this works.

Try downgrading Defraggler to a very early version from filehippo to see if it works with any of those.

Try something like auslogics defrag, or iobit defrag as they sometimes work if defraggler doesn't.

Additionally, sometimes malware can interfere with running your system properly.

- Using nirsoft Startup Run, check your startup & BHO items. Eliminate all of them you do not need. Typically, you keep the ones responsible for graphics/audio/Antivirus/Yahoo. It is safe, however, to disable the ones for audio/video where it says tray in the line, as these are the startup items that load an additional tray icon (not necessary since windows already has audio/video controls).

- Using abelha digital's hostsman, check your hosts file to be sure it does not contain re-directors or hijackers. Typically, you only want the windows loopback IP, as other entries can either be malware blockers (as Spybot Search & Destroy ads entries) or they can even be used by malware for redirects & have a block list that blocks good software such as AVG, Symantec, McAffee, etc. In any case, they are safe to remove. Maintaining a hosts based block list is nearly ineffective due to the millions of malware available, & you would have to have a block list for all of them. I usually keep no entries except windows loopback (for performance reasons as well).

- Scan your system with Malwarebytes + updated definitions (full system scan) & remove what it finds. Do the same with Super Antispyware, then Spybot Search & destroy.

- Check the antivirus you are using. If it is older, say a 2006 based version of symantec, check what version it is. An update or a switch to a newer free one such as AVG may be recommended. But be careful. Symantec is notorious for leaving lots of registry clutter after their uninstaller, which may halt AVG from updating to run. It can be removed, but if you do not know what you are doing, careful here. Whatever AV you have, be sure you only have one of them installed because 2 or more can cause problems. Be sure the definitions are up to date & scan with them.

- Using Hi-Jack this, carefully check the items that load with windows startup.

- Use a browser other than IE, such as Firefox that is much more stable & has fewer security exploits. This alone prevents the "driveby download" style of malware from installing.

- Run CCleaner with the wipe free space option so that it can zero out the unused sections of your harddisk. This may also help with sectors that are hard to read.

- In some cases, rootkits can cause redirects on any browser you use. Combofix is a good free utility that can usually find & repair activity such as this. Recommend making a restore point before using, just to be on the safe side.

- If all else fails, & you have your XP disk with you, backup all your pics, vids, games, prog etc that you need to another location, either a secondary partition or an external drive. Using Double Driver + Driver Magician Lite, backup your system drivers. I listed 2, because I have had numerous occasions that one driver backup util would miss a part of a video driver that the other would catch, so I could switch folders & continue the install.

Then, after a system backup, delete your old partition when the screen comes up, create a new NTFS one, then format it & install windows. Recommended to skip the quick format so it can test your harddisk for faulty blocks. After install, this is up to you, but I have noted that having windows updates on can impede performance & cause apps to stop working over a period of time. It usually does not happen instantly, but after a few months.

I have had my XP instal for years with no problems. You just have to know what causes probs & what to avoid. Updates always will slow your machine over time, & sometimes crash it fatally where a re-install is the only fix. If you prefer to leave them on, however, there are so many here that are die-hard always download whatever update that MS sends you, I am sure they would flame me.

The basic premises, however, are don't go to bad sites known for hijacks such as shady adult sites

Do not, do not, DO NOT install material from websites claiming you have a "malware infection" as they INSTALL malware (not remove it!)

Do not install "plugins" needed to view ojects on a page. This is a trick to exploit your system.

Watch the P2P programs you install (Cabos is safer than Limewire due to the bundled software Limewire sometimes installs)

Install Firefox & use it exclusively, as IE is full of holes & exploits including Active X driveby installs

Install AVG free with updates, defraggler, ccleaner, flash for firefox & ie, java, infra recorder

You can turn off the visual effects for better performance. I usually leave the bottom 3 checkmarked + the screen fonts one.

XP has a built in firewall, but some prog like Zone Alarm are noted for superior firewall capabilities. Careful here. Probs with a firewall installation may leave you unable to access the web if you do not know what you are doing.

I believe that you should be able to use your PC with defraggler if you follow the above directions. If you tried it all & still cannot, let me know. I will be glad to assist you further.