Address searches still show up on maps.live.com

mikeb

I'm using Firefox 3.5.9. Occasionally, I'll use maps.live.com which redirects to bing.com/maps. I'm never logged on to Hotmail or anything and I've used CCleaner prior to checking this, and YET for some reason old address searches still show up when I go to type an address (you know auto-fill in suggestions from past searches). I've even been going in and manually deleting "places.sqlite" from the Mozilla folder to get rid of the history that doesn't erase when you run CCleaner.

Does this happen to anyone else??

Have you checked processes for firefox.exe before cleaning? Is saved form info checked#?

No fate but what we make

Have you checked processes for firefox.exe before cleaning? Is saved form info checked#?

Form history was checked. I unchecked it. Also checked for cookies from live.com and bing.com deleted those. Shut down. Ctrl-Alt-Del no signs of FF. Ran Ccleaner again. Went back to maps.live.com and still when I click on either of the "Get Directions" boxes I get a list of past searches.

Weird thing is that is the only site where this happens.

• Moderators

Hi mike.

The latest versions of Firefox have an option to not show any suggested sites in the drop down bar. Not the same as deleting them, but out of site out of mind:

8e251178901494.gif

I'm not sure if your version has this choice, and if not you can disable the drop down suggestions manually:

First, go to your Firefox settings by putting "about:config" (no quotes) into the address bar. Click past the warning message, and scroll down to "browser.urlbar.maxRichResults". This is set at 12 by default. Double click it and change it to 0.

It's now disabled.

There is a problem at the moment clearing all Firefox history, as the side bar history folders aren't being cleaned. I'm sure the devs are still working on this.

8e251178901494.gif

I from time to time will go in and delete "places.sqlite" which will erase all search history left over in the side bar. I remember months and months ago noticing stray history was being left behind so I asked about this and manually deleting "places.sqlite" was suggested (tried finding the thread but it doesn't appear to be around anymore). May be it was your suggestion Dennis?

Anyway, the address suggestions are not coming from the URL bar, those are guaranteed to be empty, they come up as I start entering an address in the Get Directions box at maps.live.com. I don't think location bar history has anything to do with what I'm talking about.

I thought it could have been Form History but even unchecking that box did not help clear it suggestion as I hit that Get Directions box.

No one else is experiencing this?

• Moderators

I think I'm with you now Mike. You're talking about the search bar on the Bing Maps site.

My bad, I misunderstood what you meant.

I sometimes get past stuff dropping down in google searches, but strangely enough never when searching with my Google Home Page.

I'll have a closer look when it next happens.

I from time to time will go in and delete "places.sqlite" which will erase all search history left over in the side bar. I remember months and months ago noticing stray history was being left behind so I asked about this and manually deleting "places.sqlite" was suggested (tried finding the thread but it doesn't appear to be around anymore). May be it was your suggestion Dennis?

Anyway, the address suggestions are not coming from the URL bar, those are guaranteed to be empty, they come up as I start entering an address in the Get Directions box at maps.live.com. I don't think location bar history has anything to do with what I'm talking about.

I thought it could have been Form History but even unchecking that box did not help clear it suggestion as I hit that Get Directions box.

No one else is experiencing this?

Well I guess I fixed it though I guess I'm confused why CCleaner isn't taking care of it. I went to FF privacy options and ticked "clear history when FF closes" went into settings and ticked all the boxes up top under history. Clear "form and search" history was not ticked to begin with. Hit ok and restarted FF. Went to maps.live.com and the suggestions were thankfully gone.

Now normally I never use "clear history when FF closes" cause sometimes I may shut down FF and then come back and want to have those urls and whatever still come up from the previous session. Not to mention I thought CCleaner was talking care of clearing all that when I run it. ??

• Moderators

CCleaner has been having problems with FF history since Mozilla amalgamated history with other Firefox stuff.

If I delete "places.sqlite", I lose all my bookmark favicons, which I don't want to lose, but as far as I'm aware, there isn't any other way to get rid of the empty history folders in the sidebar.

"Empty" being the ones whose history has been cleared from the drop down history menu.

I know the devs are aware of this, but coming up with a solution seems to be not an easy thing.

For the time being, if you want better control over the various sqlite databases, install the SQLite Manager extension and use that. It's great if you want to delete some things and keep others.