Interesting proposals for CCleaner

and the ability to change icons of installed programs

this is nothing to do with cleaner though.

No fate but what we make

• 3 months later...

as a substitute for the whole add / remove the CCleaner

As a result of your request, I decided to experiment a little.

Firstly, I tried a few things I wondered about before beginning to check on your request to replace Add or Remove with CCleaner. I had wanted DF.exe to display a GUI icon while running Defraggler on a scheduled task, so I tried deleting df.exe & replacing it with a copy of Defraggler.exe that I renamed to df.exe. It appeared to "run" the task, but no GUI & I never got the impression it was doing anything. Additionally, I tried renaming CCleaner to DF.exe in the event that if it worked, I could alter the Defraggler task to run CCleaner & then launch Defraggler. Still no go. Oh well, nice try, huh?

Next, I tried adding CCleaner.exe to the system32 folder, but with it renamed to CCleaner.cpl (default control panel extension) but it did not show in the control panel after a refresh, nor would CCleaner run after naming it .CPL.

I also tried overwriting the AppWiz.CPL with CCleaner.CPL, but it refused to run like that, in addition to having windows change it back to the standard add/remove in about 10 seconds. It is possible this may be able to work, but first, you would need to turn off system file protection in addition to modifying the registry keys for the control panel applet. I do not think you would want to put forth that much work just to replace the Add/Remove with CCleaner.

If I find a way in the future to simplify it, I may post it for you.

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Edited by DennisD
Post edited by moderation. Red text removed.

• Moderators

MrDon, I'm sorry to say this but there is no way I would even attempt what you have written in red. Why would someone want to even try and replace the default Microsoft add/remove with ccleaner?

Why would someone engineer ccleaner to have the official add/remove icon so that there are two listed but you do not know which is the real one? Or even using Tweak UI to adjust things even further.

It's madness I think to encourage other members to try out things like this, messing with the system in this way.

The original poster asked for a function from ccleaner which it does not have, nor ever is likely to.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

I have to agree with hazel.

mr don, you're giving out advice to people seemingly based upon your own level of expertise, without knowing if the original posters (or other readers) have the knowledge to even understand what you're trying to do, let alone get themselves out of a serious situation if they tried to follow your advice.

They could be left sitting in front of a useless PC with absolutely no idea what to do.

In fact, I'll have to edit the post in case any inexperienced user tries to follow your advice.

I have to agree with hazel.

mr don, you're giving out advice to people seemingly based upon your own level of expertise, without knowing if the original posters (or other readers) have the knowledge to even understand what you're trying to do, let alone get themselves out of a serious situation if they tried to follow your advice.

They could be left sitting in front of a useless PC with absolutely no idea what to do.

In fact, I'll have to edit the post in case any inexperienced user tries to follow your advice.

I understand your concern, Dennis D.

I used folder2pc with no problems on my computer. What Hazelnut was saying about "Why would you want to end up with 2 that seemed alike..." was saying seemed a bit ridiculous, as further down, I posted also that if they were to use Tweak UI, they can hide it in the control panel & see only the CCleaner one. Of course, they would also have the option of using it with the original CCleaner icon.

I do not see any possible way that using this program could damage a computer. It is easy to use, it also has an edit/delete that is entirely safe to use to undo any changes made. Have you even tried the program?

I know it sounds very technical, but I provided the way to do it & the way to also undo it. There is no possible way that I know of that it could have caused system damage. Why don't you try the program before you slam my advice?

If I thought it could cause system damage, I would not post it. I understand the fact that you are concerned that the user may mess up the machine, but given the fact that both Tweak UI from Microsoft is a totally safe program to use to hide/unhide CPL items, & the fact that folder2pc is safe as well, I am just puzzled a bit by "what can go wrong".

I am greatly interested in an example, if you can post any, of what you think possibly could have gone wrong since I have never had Tweak UI (Microsoft Power Toy) go wrong in hiding/unhiding icons, nor have I had any problems with folder2pc.

Is it because the instructions were very thorough & therefore intimidating looking? Or was it perhaps you did not trust the choices I used, or what?

Thanks!

P.S. I am fully aware of certain things that can cause an unusable machine, but just wondering, how in the world would a user be able to make an unusable pc out of a program who only had a few functions which were to either add an entry to the control panel, or subtract it?

I was never aware that merely adding or subtracting using a program as safe as folder2pc could cause any problems! In fact, because of safety concerns, I posted the program instead of the registry editing they would have to do to do it manually since the program never makes a mistake.

I cannot think of how it could be unsafe, but I am very interested in your advice, as I do try to listen/help others all I can.

• Moderators

Now just hang on here. I am not going to go back and forth within your technical experiments just to give you the nod as to whether they are okay or not.

Not what we as a forum are here for.

You wanted a user to try out your way of getting ccleaner to have the add/remove icon. Tweak U was not my issue.

Your instructions in red were removed because following them could have lead inexperienced users in trouble.

Think before you post, and I advise you not to try and keep this discussion going.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

I'm not debating the issue with you.

I deemed that post as a "way over the top" answer to the original posters question, and potentially hazardous to anyone without any experience, who thought they might give it a go.

It has been suggested to you previously that the advice you're giving carries potential risks to the unwary, and I would treat any post of that type from any member in the same way, if I thought there was a potential risk to just one of the probably hundreds of folk who follow this forum.

If someone did encounter a problem, you're not sitting beside them to help them fix it. That's why forum advice has to be made with the assumption that the recipient is on his or her own if something goes wrong.

And that's the end of the matter as far as I'm concerned.