Forum Upgrade

MrG

• Moderators

What is in the Assistant that you are looking for?

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Just the usual stuff which I'm accustomed to going to first whenever I open my account. After the upgrade I went looking for everything in Help and it reads that the My Assistant box is there, but I guess that's an error because it's not true (or it is somewhere, hidden). All the items in that box are still in my account but now redistributed.

• Moderators

Looks like that is what has happened kroozer. All the features mentioned seem to be scattered around the page now.

Perhaps it was part of the forum package but either MrG didn't impliment it, or it has been overlooked.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• Moderators

What another thing I hate if you click on a link it opens in the same window not a new one. I know you you can right-click and open in a new windows or new tab but you shouldn't have too. :angry:

I noticed that little annoyance. I have Opera configured to open new links in a new tab.

Always worked on the old board, but I can't configure it to do it on this one. Just another backward step for me.

• Moderators

Just the usual stuff which I'm accustomed to going to first whenever I open my account. After the upgrade I went looking for everything in Help and it reads that the My Assistant box is there, but I guess that's an error because it's not true (or it is somewhere, hidden). All the items in that box are still in my account but now redistributed.

Don't worry about it. I've been searching for features in the "personal messenger" which are not there.

In fact the instructions in the help file describe the old board messenger, and definitely don't describe this one.

This upgrade sucks big time IMHO.

• Moderators

If you want to open links in new tabs, simply middle-click them. I do that all the time without even thinking to it ;)

not realllllly the point (also many of use don't have three button mousey ;) ) but yes

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

Not sure where it's being seen that privacy settings have gone out, I'm pretty sure they are the same

Please see

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=15563&st=0

The second post is by Yokenny, and on the left are "Interests".

I similarly had a list of "Interests" - but very much longer,

and a few days ago Hazelnut sent me a P.M. requesting that I trim the list,

because it was very disruptive to topics when I posted pages of white space.

None of our interests ever appeared in our posts, and Google never saw them.

Suddenly the forum changed and our interests our now on public display.

Previously our interests could only be seen after some-one,

other than a Google spider, who logged in and looked at our profiles.

Very soon after Hazelnut sent her P.M. I responded and removed all my interests.

Soon after that I recognised this as a privacy issue,

making public what had been "confidential to friend/family",

so I posted the warning in this topic.

Although my interests were deleted a few days ago,

and had been in public domain for less than 1 day,

Google saw it on one of my posts from over a year ago,

which had only displayed interests for less than one day.

Google saw and still remembers - it is in the cache -

and still remembers it.

Technically this may fall outside the scope of privacy,

but it could be inconvenient to any guy whose interests had been unknown to his wife ! !

Alan

• Moderators

Alan other members have been sent pm's about this citing the privacy issue you mention as the reason for the pm. The reason you got the size issue in your pm was because your list of interests was indeed was very long :)

However, I personally find it appalling that personal details were put on view as a result of a forum change.

As Alan points out everyone should check this and make sure that any details on show are removed.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

If the quota of votes per day is set to 0, why not simply disable the voting system ? I don't see any use for it (important things are pinned anyway)

+1

As far as the inferior way outside links work now with the upgrade people without a middle mouse button can right click and choose to open them in a new tab.

Or Ctrl + click (Shift + click in Opera) or Ctrl + Shift + click to open in a tab in the background.

Browsing with Opera browser elegance and mastery.

Soon after that I recognised this as a privacy issue,

making public what had been "confidential to friend/family"

Confidential to friends and family? There's over 30,000 members on this forum, all of whom could see that info if they'd wanted (could Google perhaps have already been able to see it, the Google bot often shows up as being on the board as a user, did it have user privileges?). Whilst I agree with what you're saying I think it's a slight over reaction. Personally I never put anything in a forum profile that I'm not happy for the world to know, I'm certainly not bothered about Google knowing I like motorsport or rock music or whatever (which they will now know as the "Google spiders" will have committed this oh so important forum post to memory).

Like I say I agree it shouldn't have happened, I just don't see why you're so upset about it, what harm will befall you by google knowing your hobbies (genuine question BTW). If you didn't want anyone knowing your interests, don't post them on the internet, that's my general rule of thumb regardless of how private the site is supposed to be.

I noticed that little annoyance. I have Opera configured to open new links in a new tab.

Always worked on the old board, but I can't configure it to do it on this one. Just another backward step for me.

Regarding links opening in same window: this is something that must be configured by the board admin; I hope they will do that soon!

Like I say I agree it shouldn't have happened, I just don't see why you're so upset about it, what harm will befall you by google knowing your hobbies (genuine question BTW).

Less than 0.00000000000000000001% of the world population are members of this forum,

to whom a very small percentage of us revealed our interests,

and suddenly Google published everything to 100% of the world population.

I find this just as disturbing as Facebook's unilateral decision that all privacy should be defaulted to off.

Immediately I learnt of this I re-asserted all my options for privacy, even though I never relinquished privacy.

For all I know Google spiders captured all my private stuff during this Facebook fiasco, and it is still available to the world.

Even if your knickers are clean, who wants Google Street Map cameras to suddenly poke through the bedroom curtains when getting dressed for work ! !

Genuine answers to genuine question :-

I am not upset that my interests were on public display, but concerned this could cause harm to some victims.

I am not ashamed that my interests include supporting my local church,

but a two screen high column of religious affiliations is hardly relevant to a simple post about the registry.

Harm - potentially massive for me, possibly disastrous for others.

Had I identified Christians already under persecution for their faith, they could suffer extra trouble;

Had I identified a school class re-union group, it could have been the final clue for identity theft;

Had I revealed anything at all, that might have given USA immigration cause to block a holiday trip ! !

I think the consequence for me are minimal, but I never stripped down to my underwear,

other forum members may feel a little more exposed and uncomfortable, and for them I published the warning.

Data has leaked out, and cannot now be restrained. Consequences with no Restore Point.

Regards

Alan

I thought it best to "watch, listen and understand" everyone's comments, and actively use the new scheme (for want of a better word) before adding my "two pennyworth", albeit a very short comment.

I am an "old bugger" however I generally adapt to change very well, based on the old saying "you can't fight city hall".............well you can, BUT it gets you know where, just cost you heaps. (cost me much over the years).

So whilst I would have preferred no changes (nothing wrong with the old one....was not broken) I accept the new scheme (mumble mumble to myself) and get on with life and enjoy a great group of Piriform Forum users, comments, assistance and advice.

PS: Thanks once again DennisD for your input re my personal info now on display (and I agree with ALL your statements, every single word). :)

By the way I have not run into any user issues to date.

Always With Kind Regards

Tasgandy

"one is never too old to listen & learn"

• Moderators

Ah Ha, I hadn't seen the new stuff in Profile re: changing User title (note to moderators/admins please be sure this is set for users with more than x posts so we can tell Newbies from Long-Timers at a glance (though I personally always look at/notice post count)

also notices the allow/deny for different profile features now. . .though I must say I never even knew I could put likes/dislikes much less that you can see them in posts (I still am not seeing them in people's posts)never mind checked link above I see what yokenny likes

All my topic subscriptions are "Immediate Email Notification", I like it. But I'm getting an e-mail notification for every new reply on the topic I'm subscribed in (even when I didn't login and read the new reply from the previous message). You shouldn't notify me about every new reply in the topic, just the first one.

Before the update that never happened.

Browsing with Opera browser elegance and mastery.

• Moderators

All my topic subscriptions are "Immediate Email Notification", I like it. But I'm getting an e-mail notification for every new reply on the topic I'm subscribed in (even when I didn't login and read the new reply from the previous message). You shouldn't notify me about every new reply in the topic, just the first one.

Before the update that never happened.

+1 However this is the correct thing,

If you have configured in your control panel to receive immediate topic reply notifications, you may receive an email for each reply made to this topic. Otherwise, only 1 email is sent per board visit for each subscribed topic.

This is to limit the amount of mail that is sent to your inbox.

so I actually was going to change to delayed after checking this topic out from my 17 piriform notifications :blink:

EDIT: Changed, and you can change it bulk by checking off all "immediate" and then going to switch to delayed