Clean Shortcuts - in CUSTOM folder.

BuBBy

To Check the validity of shortcuts - I am limited to only the Start Menu or the Desktop.

(for SpecialKey1=F_STARTMENU or F_DESKTOP )

What I need is a SpecialKey (If it doesn't already exist) to check shortcuts in a custom list of folders.

(Would be great if it could be configured via the gui instead of hacking the ini)

eg.

[Custom Folder Shortcuts]

SpecialKey1=F_FOLDER

FileKey1=%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Dock

FileKey2=%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\GameShortcuts

suggestion from:

http://alternativeto.net/desktop/ccleaner/comments

If you only want to delete shortcuts in one or more folders then you can program CC to do so. Click on ""Options"", ""Include"", ""Add"". Shortcuts are files with the extension *.lnk.

System setup: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gcNzIPEjEb0B2khOOBVCHPc

A discussion always stimulates the braincells !!!

It is a bit more involved than just deleting all *.lnk files.

If a shortcut points to a file or folder that no longer exists, then the shortcut is considered "invalid" and can be deleted by ccleaner.

This functionality is already present for shortcuts in the start menu or on the desktop, but there are cases where users or other programs store shortcuts in other locations (which ccleaner cannot currently process in the same way).

As this has already been done for start menu and desktop, doing it for custom folders (and subfolders) should be a trivial exercise for the ccleaner developers.

• Moderators
If you only want to delete shortcuts in one or more folders then you can program CC to do so. Click on ""Options"", ""Include"", ""Add"". Shortcuts are files with the extension *.lnk.

You can do that Willy2 but with very negative consequences, the original poster wrote "To Check the validity of shortcuts" not just outright deleting them.

I'm along with you BuBBy and for the longest time have wished CCleaner could check whole disk partitions for broken shortcuts, of course via an option to turn the check on/off because it would take a good amount of time to check everywhere and wouldn't be a necessary check everytime CCleaner was used.

• 5 months later...

I probably jump the gun and included my post without reading the next thread, as far as cleaning invalid shortcuts are concerned. If so, directing me to the right thread would be appreciated.

After using CCleaner Portable on a XPSP3 pc, a number of invalid shortcuts remain on the Start Menu. These invalid shortcuts remained after uninstalling a few apps using Revo Uninstaller. It's my understanding that CC removes invalid shortcuts from the Start Menu and Desktop, but it does not search for invalids in other locations. A few of these invalids are in a user made ('custom') folder on the Start Menu.

If I were to include that custom Start Menu folder, would CC remove the invalids or empty the entire folder?