Virtualizaton Applications

Tom AZ

Other than Returnil and PowerShadow, is there any other similar virtualization software that's been around for a while -- and that's reputable?

I use Sandboxie for about two years and I`m very pleased with the program.

They have a good support forum and have been around I think for three or four years and are known all over the world ,several members of this forum are Sandboxie`s users.

OS : MS windows XP pro sp3 Processor : AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual core 3800, 2009Mhz.
Mother board : Gygabyte M61 PM-S2 Ram : 3GB
Disk space : 649.05 GB Default browser: Firefox
Protection : Sandboxie, MBam free version

Avast! 5 Pro has a sandbox, too.

The funny thing is that until avast! 5 was released, the Sandboxie website said it was impossible to make a sandbox on x64 systems (because of PatchGuard). Shortly after the release, there was a Sandboxie update...which added x64 support :rolleyes:

Piriform French translator

• 2 weeks later...

Wondershare Time Freeze. Free at: http://www.disk-utilities.com/time-freeze/

I have been using it since Icedrake posted it here some time ago. Cannot find Icedrake's original post. The app has not been around too long, but it works fine here on WXP home. Works much like Returnil & Powershadow.

No conflict with

- Sandboxie

- Avast 5

- Outpost firewall

- Spybot S&D

- SpywareGuard

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Pssssst: ... It isn't really a cloud. Its a bunch of big, giant servers.

I've been using it, too, for a while. Works fine for me with Avira, Sandboxie, Malwarebytes, Outpost Firewall -- no problems. Seems to be a nice little app.

Why do you need two virtual environments ?

Why do you need two virtual environments ?

No particular reason. I guess just because it was available -- pretty light on size and resources -- and it was free. So, thought it was worth giving it a try.

No particular reason. I guess just because it was available -- pretty light on size and resources -- and it was free. So, thought it was worth giving it a try.

Do you find that this program adds up functions or does anything that Sandboxie does not do ?

Hi, Eli. :)

I run either Powershadow or Time Freeze to prevent any changes to C: drive. 1 or 2 times in the past year I have contacted something that shut the computer off and restarted it. With PS running, any changes were gone when it restarted, so if it was malaware it didn't install.

Sandboxie serves a different purpose. Any changes, downloads, java junk, go to the sandbox and can be viewed in windows explorer. So if something is worth keeping, I just copy it over from there to a permanent location, and if necessary, restart and reinstall it with PS turned off. Also you can securely delete the sandbox if you wish.

More involved, but saves grief in the long run, imho.

Also imho common sense will not keep you safe. I have often contacted malaware on a harmless looking site.

Sorry if this is too long winded or simplistic. No offense meant...but sometimes I read (on other forums, not here of course) posts that are so tightly written that I have to google for 30 minutes to figure out what they mean.

The CCleaner SLIM version is always released a bit after any new version; when it is it will be HERE :-)

Also imho common sense will not keep you safe.

Depends really, My laptop doesnt even have a AV, and it has never been infected. But i don't really surf the net much with it.

My pc how ever as an av, but that's it. I personally dislike any real time or virtual machines. (unless for work purpose) running. In 15 years iv never had a serious infection.

No fate but what we make

Quite right, no argument here.

I guess 2 factors influence my overprotective approach. One, when something breaks I'm not sure I can fix it, and two, being an installaholic. Add in a good measure of laziness, and I just sort of want to keep ole HAL here like he is. :lol:

Hi, Eli. :)

I run either Powershadow or Time Freeze to prevent any changes to C: drive. 1 or 2 times in the past year I have contacted something that shut the computer off and restarted it. With PS running, any changes were gone when it restarted, so if it was malaware it didn't install.

Sandboxie serves a different purpose. Any changes, downloads, java junk, go to the sandbox and can be viewed in windows explorer. So if something is worth keeping, I just copy it over from there to a permanent location, and if necessary, restart and reinstall it with PS turned off. Also you can securely delete the sandbox if you wish.

More involved, but saves grief in the long run, imho.

Also imho common sense will not keep you safe. I have often contacted malaware on a harmless looking site.

Sorry if this is too long winded or simplistic. No offense meant...but sometimes I read (on other forums, not here of course) posts that are so tightly written that I have to google for 30 minutes to figure out what they mean.

I personaly use Sandboxie and if I use the program all the time I`m surfing, I fail to se where the security whole is if in addition to that I also use a good AV,AS and FW,so the question here is what are the chances that you`ll get infected using all this weaponry, that justifies an additional virtual protection?

Have i understood you correctly....You use a virtual environment all the time, In that virtual environment you have a, Anti virus, Some sort of real time, and a firewall?

No fate but what we make

• Moderators

I use virtual box when i need to switch to linux

me too

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Have i understood you correctly....You use a virtual environment all the time, In that virtual environment you have a, Anti virus, Some sort of real time, and a firewall?

I use the virtual environment only when I`m in the internet, the protection works from outsite of the virtual environment but it also covers the virtual(although there is no real need for it) .

...what are the chances that you`ll get infected using all this weaponry, that justifies an additional virtual protection?

Not much chance, according what one reads. However, HERE in post 7 Micky77 says Skynet escaped...and HERE Verno says an application escaped. I'm not going to spend the time to track down the details, see if the posters are right or wrong.

What I do know is that Sandboxie and PS (and Time Freeze) work OK together, don't slow HAL down, and when I reboot, anything I didn't deliberately save is gone. Using both might be redundant, but it doesn't cost much. :)

FYI: I think Time Freeze runs a little heavier than PS 2.6, but 2.6 seems to fail sometimes...2.82 never did, but it is gone.

• Moderators

What does VB idle at with you (cpu)???

Haven't actually looked, I'll check next time (Mostly run either puppy or DSL so they don't use much)

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

I use virtual box when i need to switch to linux

I used VMware for a while, found it a bit cumbersome. Have not tried VB, is it fast & light?