Firewall Info

Ultimate Predator

Right, my built in anti-vrirus/firewall bundle with my internet security has busted, and the helpdesk recommend I find something else, as the product isn't great for Windows XP.

So, I plan to get Avast AntiVirus Home Edition, thats been brilliant to me in the past before I got this, so I'm pleased with that (unless someone can say that there is a better FREE antivirus out there).

More importantly, firewalls. The guy who I phoned up just reckons that Windows Firewall is good enough, and I must admit, its been fine before I got this firewall, but I read that it doesn't block outgoing conections...

So what FREE firewall should I get, that doesn't us up a lot of system resources, easy to use, and has updates? That is, considering that Windows Firewall is not good enough.

Many Thanks.

Everyone on this site seems to be advising Etrust or AVG and I can't seem to figure out why. If you're going to go with one of them you might as well use a pre-2005 norton product. The detection rates on these products in general are very bad. See: http://www.av-comparatives.org If you are certain you need a free AV, I would choose AntiVir, which has vaslty improved recently. If you choose to use a parware AV, which I recommend, then talk to me about options later. There are really only two freeware apps that should be considered; AVAST home edition and AntiVir 6.3.

As far as firewalls, I think outpost and kerio 2.15 are both very good firewalls. Outpost uses more resources but if more user friendly. Kerio just plain works, if configured correctly with the right ruleset. This is a good ruleset to start with: http://www.dslreports.com/r0/download/6171...cementFinal.zip Keep in mind that kerio 2.15 will not past many leaktests; development has been discontinued.

• Moderators

Well, Etrust isn't even on any of those comparisons. Antivir from what I understand dosent have true automatic updates(may have changed), and I did say I like avast.

Have you even tried Etrust before? Because I have used all of those programs.

Well, Etrust isn't even on any of those comparisons. Antivir from what I understand dosent have true automatic updates(may have changed), and I did say I like avast.

Have you even tried Etrust before? Because I have used all of those programs.

That has changed; AntiVir now offers automatic incremental updates. See this threat at Wilders: http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=91636

As far as Etrust in concerned, I have used it before and found it to be very easy to use to rather high on system resources, not able to clean everything and mediocrea at detection. Also, AVAST, as good as it may be for a freebe, is very high on system resources and can bring your system to a crawl.

• Moderators
As far as Etrust in concerned, I have used it before and found it to be very easy to use to rather high on system resources, not able to clean everything and mediocrea at detection.

Have you tried the latest version? Because it uses less resources than Avast or AVG and I have never had infection that it wouldn't remove.

untitled3tx.th.png

Version 7.0.7.7

My experience with Avast has been lack luster. I was once cleaning a pc that was infested with trojans and all avast would do is detect them and then lock up. I also have had problems with it detecting a virus and not removing it. The times that I have used avg it had no such problems.

The new version of Etrust is better, but I prefer CA corporate if I had to choose between the two. Remember that Etrust in not freeware; I believe the year license, offered by Microsoft, is no longer offered . If it were up to me I would advise using KAV 5/6 beta, NOD32 2.5, or VBA32. But none of them are freeware. Freeware, no matter what product, is not as good as payware products

• Moderators
The new version of Etrust is better, but I prefer CA corporate if I had to choose between the two.  Remember that Etrust in not freeware; I believe the year license, offered by Microsoft, is no longer offered .

http://www.my-etrust.com/microsoft/

If it were up to me I would advise using KAV 5/6 beta, NOD32 2.5, or VBA32.  But none of them are freeware.

I like nod32 but not Kaspersky. Its become every bit as bloated and junky as the rest of those security suites. The standalone av is good but it still costs $40. Why use this when I can get etrust for $20.

Freeware, no matter what product, is not as good as payware products

Not true. Sure you can say that a free version of a piece of software is not as good as the exact same piece of softwares pay version but I can build a suite of free aplications that is better than norton or any other suite. You just have to know what to get.

I like nod32 but not Kaspersky. Its become every bit as bloated and junky as the rest of those security suites. The standalone av is good but it still costs $40. Why use this when I can get etrust for $20.

Well there are AVs you can get for less than $40 like NOD32 (with student discount), Dr Web ($23.00), or VBA32 ($23.40). If you have ever used any of these program, especially Dr Web 4.33 or VBA32 you'd know there are not bloatware, as is Norton, Mcafee home or F-secure.

Not true. Sure you can say that a free version of a piece of software is not as good as the exact same piece of softwares pay version but I can build a suite of free aplications that is better than norton or any other suite.  You just have to know what to get.

That is true; there are decent free applications out there which is what I was trying to point out. I do not like norton, or any symantec product for that matter, so that example doesn't work for me. I don't like the idea of an all-in-one suite. I prefer stand-alone products. But I understand what you are saying. An example of a completely freeware setup is below (all are necessary):

Antivir: Antivirus

Ewido free: On-Demand trojan/malware scanner

Kerio 2.15: Rul-based firewall)

MASA/Ad-aware/spybot/Hijack This!/Spyware Blaster (use them all for complete protection): Spywware

RegWatcher: Configurable Registry Protection (http://www.jacobsm.com/mjsoft.htm)

CCleaner

HostManager: Hosts File

ProcessGuard: Limits application rights

Any non-IRE based browser

It is possible but it takes alot more work to be secure. The ost imortant aspect of the setup if the AV.

• Moderators

I agree with everything except

RegWatcher: Configurable Registry Protection (http://www.jacobsm.com/mjsoft.htm)

An outbound firewall and microsoft antispyware should be sufficient. Running too many of these programs will slow down your pc. The best defense is a router. This will limit just about everything that can get into your pc.

I agree with everything except

An outbound firewall and microsoft antispyware should be sufficient. Running too many of these programs will slow down your pc. The best defense is a router. This will limit just about everything that can get into your pc.

Agreed. But remember, routers are not free. This setup is all freeware. I believe in layered defenses because there is no single program that is 100% effective.

ZoneAlarm rebooted my pc as soon as it tried to run, believe it or not.

Currently am needing help. Avast causes all my internet pages not to be displayed (Page Not Displayed), and is there a current FREE (not a trial) AVG Anti-Virus? Only the one I tried was 2004 version and would not connect to the internet for updates, and I can't find a free one from the site, please post the official site up with download for FREE Anti-virus.

If that doesn't work, please suggest another trusted completely FREE anti-virus.

Fire-wall wise I'm relying on Microsoft Windows firewall untill I get some Antivirus set-up, so everyone please help.