version 2.30.1130 not working correctly!

Hi!

I am a long time user of CCleaner, and for the 1st time I am having troubles with it!

I am using v.2.30.1130. On aprox. 21% the program stalls. The 'wheels' are spinning but nothing happens.

I have un-clicked wipe MFT free space (C drive only) and it didn't help.

I am using windows 7 home 32 bit. Running as admin.

I use Firefox and IE. And I am still getting use to them, and I am not sure where the temp

internet files for each browser are ... yet.

I also notice that that the cookies are not being cleared out.

It will show like 6 files in the analysis where there are really 20+

so I tried to clear them and nothing happens.

Thanks!

**My Karma Ran Over My Dogma**

• 3 weeks later...

Hi!

I am a long time user of CCleaner, and for the 1st time I am having troubles with it!

I am using v.2.30.1130. On aprox. 21% the program stalls. The 'wheels' are spinning but nothing happens.

I have un-clicked wipe MFT free space (C drive only) and it didn't help.

I am using windows 7 home 32 bit. Running as admin.

I use Firefox and IE. And I am still getting use to them, and I am not sure where the temp

internet files for each browser are ... yet.

I also notice that that the cookies are not being cleared out.

It will show like 6 files in the analysis where there are really 20+

so I tried to clear them and nothing happens.

Thanks!

I just downloaded the new version of CCleaner 2.3.1.1153 and it still stalls and goes VERY slowly at 21%!!!

It has been at the 21% mark for almost 1/2 hour now.

Can someone PLEASE acknowledge my post?

Thanks!

post-6463-127256315594_thumb.jpg

Mistress,

I don't use Windows 7 but perhaps I can offer some help. When I look at the picture it suggests CC v2.31 is stuck when wiping the recycle bin. And I know CC fails to handle files properly when their names start with the character ""$"".

So, I would suggest that you un-tick/un-select all CC options except for ""Empty recycle bin"" and try again. Or tick a number of boxes and untick ""Empty recycle bin"" and try again. Does the behaviour of CC change, does it get stuck again ??

Edited by Willy2

System setup: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gcNzIPEjEb0B2khOOBVCHPc

A discussion always stimulates the braincells !!!

Mistress,

I don't use Windows 7 but perhaps I can offer some help. When I look at the picture it suggests CC v2.31 is stuck when wiping the recycle bin. And I know CC fails to wipe/overlooks files which names start with the character ""$"".

So, I would suggest that you un-tick/un-select all CC options except for ""Empty recycle bin"" and try again. Or tick a number of boxes and untick ""Empty recycle bin"" and try again. How does CC behave now ?

Just a quicky reply ...

This also happened with XP. I JUST switched to W7.

As soon as the recycle bin re-loads I will un-check it, BUT that seems SO counterproductive!!

That's is why I have CCleaner! :(

Oops, I didn't expect to get a reply so soon. (I rewrote post #3). To me, the heart of the matter is that file starting with a ""$"".

I will recheck it again in the AM when I have something to delete.

Thanks LOT!

• Moderators

I cant get rid of cookies even though i use the cleaner. When I look in Options/Cookies they are still there. What do I do?

This is your third post with the same question Jack. Someone took the trouble to answer your first one, which is here:

http://forum.piriform.com/index.php?showtopic=27896&view=findpost&p=167440

I deleted your second repeat post.

The problem ""Mistress"" brought to the attention of the readers of this thread is NOT the result of a bug in CC v2.30 and/or v2.31 ONLY (!!!). It's the result of the changes Microsoft has made in the Operating System concerning the deletion of files, as well. In that regard, there seems to be a significant difference between Windows XP on the one hand and Vista and Windows 7 on the other hand.

I think, I know now why CC gets stuck when it tries to clean the recycle bin in Vista and Windows 7 and it encounters a file with a fliename beginning with the character ""$"".

In Windows XP, when the user deletes a file (i.e. move it to the recycle bin) Windows - internally - renames the file and changes - at least - the first character. But for the user, when opening the recycle bin, it looks like the deleted file still has its old name. The original name is stored in a file called ""INFO..."".

But the internal renaming of files doesn´t seem to happen in Vista or Windows 7. It seems there the original filename is retained. Then the user runs the risk of CC getting stuck when cleaning the recycle bin and it comes across this particular type of filename, as mentioned above.

Can anyone reading this thread with Windows 7 or Vista installed confirm this story ??

The problem ""Mistress"" brought to the attention of the readers of this thread is NOT the result of a bug in CC v2.30 and/or v2.31 ONLY (!!!). It's the result of the changes Microsoft has made in the Operating System concerning the deletion of files, as well. In that regard, there seems to be a significant difference between Windows XP on the one hand and Vista and Windows 7 on the other hand.

I think, I know now why CC gets stuck when it tries to clean the recycle bin in Vista and Windows 7 and it encounters a file with a fliename beginning with the character ""{:content:}quot;".

In Windows XP, when the user deletes a file (i.e. move it to the recycle bin) Windows - internally - renames the file and changes - at least - the first character. But for the user, when opening the recycle bin, it looks like the deleted file still has its old name. The original name is stored in a file called ""INFO..."".

But the internal renaming of files doesn?t seem to happen in Vista or Windows 7. It seems there the original filename is retained. Then the user runs the risk of CC getting stuck when cleaning the recycle bin and it comes across this particular type of filename, as mentioned above.

Can anyone reading this thread with Windows 7 or Vista installed confirm this story ??

Wrong. The files are renamed. However, to see that you must be using another explorer as Windows Explorer.

Piriform French translator

Wrong. The files are renamed. However, to see that you must be using another explorer as Windows Explorer.

If in Vista or Windows 7 ALL deleted files in the recycle bin are renamed then the question becomes: do all renamed files in the recycle bin begin with a ""$"" sign ?? If so, then I am not able to help ""Mistress"" any further.

P.S. : It was Piriform's Defraggler that gave me the first hint that the deleted files are renamed. Defraggler does have some hidden virtues, which I DO appreciate.

FYI

I see in Windows 7 the regular recycle bin does not have the $ anywhere in site.

BUT

The post recycle does. It's called: $RECYCLE.BIN

It is not openable in W7

But ... Like I had mentioned, I 'think' XP has the same thing as

I was having this problem before I switched!

Can someone using XP sp2 check this out too plz ...

Mistress,

If the user deletes, say 5 files (i.e. move them to the recycle bin) then two things happen (in Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7):

1. Those 5 files are moved to the special ""recycle bin"" folder.

2. These 5 files are renamed. How they are renamed depends on the type of Operating System.

CC knows that the filenames in the recycle bin folder are not the original filenames. That's why CC, after analyzing, in stead of listing all the names of the files in the recycle bin, simply states:

""System - Empty recycle bin ..... Kb 5 files""

And it seems that those recycle bin filenames are displayed one by one very briefly during deletion. So, if CC gets stuck deleting that recycle bin file, the filename of the file from the recycle bin that causes CC to get stuck, shows up.

In this particular case my advice would be this: Open the recycle bin, try to move that ""*.wmv"" file (look at the file extension in the picture in post #2) back to where it came from, delete it again and run CC again. Perhaps then that file can deleted without any problem. Or try the suggestions from post #3.

By discussion this problem in this thread we have brought this particular problem to the attention of de developers of CC. Perhaps they know they a solution.