2.30.1130 Not Cleaning Thumbnail Cache

My first post. I didn't find any recent topics on this, so here I am.

I installed v2.30.1130 a couple of days ago and thought everything was working fine, but today I elected to clean the Thumbnail Cache along with the usual items and... Nothing. The thumbnail cache .db files are not picked up on "Analyze", nor are they cleaned when CCleaner is run.

This is the first time I've encountered this issue. All previous versions I've used have worked perfectly. So, I'm wondering if I'm the only one to encounter this with the newest version.

I'm running Vista Home Premium SP2 32bit.

Thanks in advance.

My first post. I didn't find any recent topics on this, so here I am.

I installed v2.30.1130 a couple of days ago and thought everything was working fine, but today I elected to clean the Thumbnail Cache along with the usual items and... Nothing. The thumbnail cache .db files are not picked up on "Analyze", nor are they cleaned when CCleaner is run.

This is the first time I've encountered this issue. All previous versions I've used have worked perfectly. So, I'm wondering if I'm the only one to encounter this with the newest version.

I'm running Vista Home Premium SP2 32bit.

Thanks in advance.

I am having the same problem.

• 3 weeks later...

Do you mean the file(s) called ""thumbs.db"" in which the thumbnails are stored ? If so, then I can tell you that the user can program CC (both v2.30 and v2.31) to clean those files as well. Click on ""Options"", ""Include"", ""Add"".

I think CC doesn't clean those files on your computer because, starting in v2.30 CC, has changed the way it operates. Did you select an option from ""Options"" in the ""Include"" menu ?? In both v2.30 and v2.31 the user must choose one of the three options from the ""Options"" menu as well. If you have selected ""Include files only"", then CC wipes files in the specified folder only. It doesn't clean any subfolders.

In order to clean the subfolders as well, the user must select ""Include files and subfolders"".

System setup: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/gcNzIPEjEb0B2khOOBVCHPc

A discussion always stimulates the braincells !!!

Thanks for your reply!

I'm speaking of the 'thumbnail cache' located at:

%userprofile%\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer

which used to be cleaned by selecting Thumbnail Cache in the main UI.

ndkhuv.jpg

It no longer matters whether this is selected or not, nothing is detected upon analyzing or actual cleaning. Right-clicking this individual option and selecting Analyze or Clean also does nothing on my system - returning: "ANALYSIS COMPLETE - (0.026 secs) - 0 bytes to be removed. (Approximate size)"

:(

• Moderators

Thumbnail cache does not clean thumbs.db, and it is not supposed to

[Thumbnail Cache]
ID=1029
LangSecRef=3002
LangRef=3131
DetectOS=6.0
Default=true
SpecialKey1=N_EX_THUMBNAIL_CACHE
FileKey1=%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer|thumbcache_*.db
FileKey2=%LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer\ThumbCacheToDelete|thm*.tmp

unless Special key is that, but I don't believe it is

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Just to clarify again, I'm not referring to the Thumbs.db file found in individual folders, but to the Thumbnail Cache .db files found in the default location I mentioned above.

That folder contains:

thumbcache_32.db

thumbcache_96.db

thumbcache_256.db

thumbcache_1024.db

thumbcache_idx.db

thumbcache_sr.db

Up until v2.30.1130 these were always cleaned if selected in the main UI.

• Moderators

Just to clarify again, I'm not referring to the Thumbs.db file found in individual folders, but to the Thumbnail Cache .db files found in the default location I mentioned above.

/quote]

not seeing where you mentioned a location, but I assume you mean %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer|thumbcache_*.db

if so

I just tested it and while, yes, it does not show results, it does delete these files

to test this yourself, type or paste %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer into the searchbox or the Run Command

you will see the files

thumbcache_32.db
thumbcache_96.db
thumbcache_256.db
thumbcache_1024.db
thumbcache_idx.db
thumbcache_sr.db

Open Ccleaner

Right Click Thumbnail Cache

choose clean

it will say 0 results

look at the folder you opened, you will see the files are indeed gone.

Note, I agree this is not ideal for the results not to show. . . but the feature does work

P.S. Very soon after the files are recreated but are smaller

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

I just tested it and while, yes, it does not show results, it does delete these files

to test this yourself, type or paste %LocalAppData%\Microsoft\Windows\Explorer into the searchbox or the Run Command

you will see the files

thumbcache_32.db
thumbcache_96.db
thumbcache_256.db
thumbcache_1024.db
thumbcache_idx.db
thumbcache_sr.db

Open Ccleaner

Right Click Thumbnail Cache

choose clean

it will say 0 results

look at the folder you opened, you will see the files are indeed gone.

Note, I agree this is not ideal for the results not to show. . . but the feature does work

P.S. Very soon after the files are recreated but are smaller

Unfortunately, this is not the case for me. The files are still there, as are the actual thumbnails in folders. When the cache is actually deleted you can see the thumbnails being recreated by opening virtually any folder.

It's also unfortunate - for me - that this does not seem to be happening to everyone. Only one other person has posted that they're having the same issue, so I'm becoming discouraged that a fix is on the way.

At least Windows own Disk Cleanup will still delete them. :rolleyes:

• 1 year later...

I've been having the same problem with a Vista Home Edition and now with an up-to-date version (3.06.1433). CCleaner wasn't picking up those thumbnail files in Analysis. One person thought the option for CCleaner under Advanced, not to delete temporary files younger than 48 hours, made a difference. I have that unchecked and was still getting the problem. Another person said to make sure that Explorer was closed when you're running CCleaner. I still had the problem. I used the Windows Disk Cleanup and it deleted 18 MB of thumbnail files. Immediately after that, I used Explorer to create new thumbnails, then ran CCleaner, and it was able find the thumbnail files. CCleaner is doing a poor job of cleaning these files and of notifying when it is failing to find any files. I wonder if having thumbnails that pre-date the new installation of a CCleaner update has something to do with it. Or perhaps it can't see files that are too large or too old. At any rate, if you are having this problem, try using Disk Cleanup (under Accessories/System Tools), and I guess wipe your disk to overwrite those cleaned-up files, and see if that fixes it for a while thereafter.

and I guess wipe your disk to overwrite those cleaned-up files, and see if that fixes it for a while thereafter.

Totally wrong.

Only if CCleaner and Recuva were an integrated package would there be a possibility that CCleaner would see deleted files.

CCleaner sees what Windows tells it are present, and Windows does not tell CCleaner about deleted files.