CCleaner hangs when program is first initiated

kd5

• Moderators

Same from me Kd5. Thanks for posting that.

Don't forget to have another look at what you have running. There will be some cost, if not immediately evident, from having Spyguard and Windows Defender both "active" at the same time.

I wouldn't be too worried about CCleaner and security if you're running Avast as your A/V. Personally, I don't have anything actively running except Avast. And Sandboxie.

It may be worth your while having a look at a layer of "virtual" protection with Sandboxie.

Sandboxie:

It's used by a lot of us, and there are many threads to be found on here about it.

Monday 10-May

-------------

Hi All !

Thank you to everyone helping track down the cause and develop a solution to this problem (CCleaner opening Slowly) !!!

This malady seems to affect people sporting Windows XP and running Windows Defender along with CCleaner;

(why they are affecting each other now is a mystery - I've run them together for two or three years with no Problems).

I tried excluding Windows Defender Folder in (under) Program Files from CCleaner - unfortunately for me; that didn't help !

Here is what did HELP:

- Open Windows Defender - Tools (Main Menu Bar) - Options

- Under Options: Real Time Protection Options - Choose which security agents you want to run - UN-CHECK (the Check Box) "Application Execution" !!!

SEE attached Screen Shots !!!

Windows Defender is scanning CCleaner system actions while CCleaner is opening. This must take a few seconds - thus the delay !

After Windows Defendre ascertains that CCleaner is not Malware - it allows it to open and function as per normal !

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is another strategy for fixing this problem: Ditch Windows Defender and install the FREE Microsoft Security Essentials (formerly the pay-for MS One Care Live).

Windows Defender functionality is absorbed by Security Essentials and thus - they are Mutually Exclusive. If you try to install Security Essential (without uninstalling Defender); Security Essentials will disable Windows Defender.

Note: You shouldn't run more than one Anti-Virus Active Real Time Scanner at the same Time. So for me, that would mean uninstalling my current Avira AntiVir (active Anti-Virus application) and uninstalling Windows Defender - then installing Microsoft Security Essentials.

Hopefully - MS Security Essentials is compatible with CCleaner - can anyone out there confirm or deny ????????

BVR

Johnny M!

post-37466-127351628465_thumb.jpg

post-37466-127351629804_thumb.jpg

• Moderators

Thanks for posting that Johnny.

I've bookmarked your post in case the problem pops up with other WD users. :)

Regarding MS Security Essentials, I know other members on here use it, and I've never seen anyone post any sort of issue between it and CCleaner.

• Moderators

Regarding MS Security Essentials, I know other members on here use it, and I've never seen anyone post any sort of issue between it and CCleaner.

It actually causes allot of programs to open really slow which is why I removed it not all that long ago.

• Moderators

Johnny, why not try MSE on your machine and give it a try? It might work very well for you.

I know the very first scan takes a while but after that it is quite quick to scan.

Only you can tell how it will run on your machine :)

Let us know if you do give it a try.

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• 4 weeks later...

Recap and Final Thoughts on this Subject Thread: "CCleaner hangs when program is first initiated"

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- CCleaner and Windows Defender (real-time active Anti-Spyware application) played together nicely on my XP Machine(s) for many years - NO Problems.

- In the March thru May 2010 Time Frame (CCleaner versions high 2.20s and low 2.30s) something changed: CCleaner started to open only after a 3 to 5 second delay.

- Troubleshooting verified that Windows Defender and CCleaner were interacting in some problematic fashion that was causing the opening Delay (see my previous post this thread).

- Here is what recently (June 2010) solved the problem:

-- Uninstalled Windows Defender and Avira AntiVir

-- Installed Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) to replace both functions (Single Application providing Free Anti-Malware: both Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware).

-- CCleaner (now version 2.32.1165) opens instantaneously.

-- OK Problem Fixed !

Thanks to all CCleaner Forum Posters for their help on this topic

BVR

Johnny M!

PS: To Microsoft Windows Defender, MS Windows XP and CCleaner Programmers: Hope you guys keep an eye on these User Forums. We find the Bugs and count on you to Fix them !!!!!!

• Moderators

Nice of you to post back Johnny and let us know how you are getting on.

Good to near that you are back to your instant ccleaner opening again. MSE seems to be quite a good piece of software, and the people I know who have it on their machines really like it.

Looking forward to seeing more posts from you although hopefully not problem ones :)

Support contact

https://support.ccleaner.com/s/contact-form?language=en_US&form=general

or

support@ccleaner.com

• 2 weeks later...

Johnny, why not try MSE on your machine and give it a try? It might work very well for you.

I know the very first scan takes a while but after that it is quite quick to scan.

Only you can tell how it will run on your machine :)

Let us know if you do give it a try.

I noticed the huge slowdown weeks ago. Not in scanning just in opening the program. I didn't think a lot about it - I assumed it was when I updated CCleaner (I keep it updated). There have been many theories here, but here's my experience:

Dell Vostro 1500 Laptop - WinXP SP2

I recently ran into an unrelated problem and had to revert to an old image that was a year old. It's the image I call "minimal" with my mainstay apps installed (it's an apps only partition). The old CCleaner started up fast just as it always did with the old version. The FIRST thing I did was update CCleaner. I then went to open the program and - surprise! - it was very, very slow.

This tells me that the system image exactly as it was 10 months ago and updated ONLY with CCleaner gave me the --- slow CCleaner.

What does that tell me? It's something in CCleaner's latest updates. But, maybe there's another explanation. I'm really not offering a real cause or correction - just my experience.

Thanks, Piriform, for CCleaner. No matter the load speed, it's sweet.

Try updating to SP3. SP2's going to die soon.

So....will that fix the CCleaner problem? Unless your post was on-topic as it relates to the CCleaner slowdown, I have reasons for running with SP2. Did you mean that all those with XP SP2 will have a very slow-loading CCleaner? That's the solution to the problem up for discussion? Thanks.

Well, Service Packs mostly contain hotfixes. A hotfix is something that fixes a very specific and hardly encountered problem, but is not released to everyone because it would need lots of tests each time. Service Packs are a way to test all the hotfixes only once (XP's SP2 and Vista's SP1 were exceptions).

Upgrading to SP3 might fix the problem. It might not fix it. But it's worth a try.

Piriform French translator