Propblem with "Wipe Free Space"

JohnFS

I need some help here. I was running Clean Free Space on my Laptop when the program froze. After having to reboot my Laptop I noticed that suddenly my Hardrive only has 17gig of free space as opposed to 44gigs. What heppened and how can I fix it?

Any help would be useful.

John.

I need some help here. I was running Clean Free Space on my Laptop when the program froze. After having to reboot my Laptop I noticed that suddenly my Hardrive only has 17gig of free space as opposed to 44gigs. What heppened and how can I fix it?

Any help would be useful.

John.

(Facepalm)

Nevermind... I ran the Wipe Free Space option again and canceled it and it removed all the file space that had been used.

Solution : Don't use Wipe Free Space. It doesn't improve performance. It doesn't create more free space. It will only erase already deleted files. Are you sure you want to do that ?

Piriform French translator

• Moderators

other solution (though I agree with the above) search the forum and you'll find not only people with your problem but us answering this over and over and over again. If WFS doesn't finish 1) newer version of clcean will find and clean the file or 2) find the HUGE file at the root of the drive with random letter for a name Permanently delete it

ADVICE FOR USING CCleaner'S REGISTRY INTEGRITY SECTION

DON'T JUST CLEAN EVERYTHING THAT'S CHECKED OFF.

Do your Registry Cleaning in small bits (at the very least Check-mark by Check-mark)

ALWAYS BACKUP THE ENTRY, YOU NEVER KNOW WHAT YOU'LL BREAK IF YOU DON'T.

Support at https://support.ccleaner.com/s/?language=en_US

Pro users file a PRIORITY SUPPORT via email support@ccleaner.com

Since WFS only increases file deletion 'completeness' for lack of a better term, wouldn't it make more sense to just run a more secure wipe pattern? Does running a more secure pattern wear out hard drive life faster like WFS does?

Of course the pen is mightier than the sword! You know who said that?

The guy with the pen.

• Moderators

Another search of the forum and the web would reveal that there's a great deal of discussion about whether any data can be, or has ever been, recovered after a single overwrite. No evidence appears to exist that it has.

As for wearing out the disk, the heads should not be touching the platters, so any additional wear would be in the arm actuating mechanism. More arm wagging would shorten the ultimate life of the mechanism, but by how much? The disk will probably still be going at the end of the pc's 3 to 5 year life.

Another search of the forum and the web would reveal that there's a great deal of discussion about whether any data can be, or has ever been, recovered after a single overwrite. No evidence appears to exist that it has.

To save doing 100 replies of +1, I'll just do +100.

I think CCleaner should only implement one pass for Secure Deletion, with only 0, no random data.

But then people who don't know anything but think they do would complain <_<

Piriform French translator

I think CCleaner should only implement one pass for Secure Deletion, with only 0, no random data.

But then people who don't know anything but think they do would complain <_<

I think what would also happen is that Piriform would actually lose customers because people would perceive that CCleaner didn't delete things as securely as other programs. It's a comfort blanket thing.

I wish 35 passes would actually erase it self from the world. Since it is pointless.

No fate but what we make