Undesired Opera Cleaning

TeeJay3800

With the latest version of CCleaner (2.30.1130), with the "History" item checked, all favicons for bookmarks are cleaned. This is occurring on Opera 10.51. This did not happen on previous versions of CCleaner and is obviously is not a desired feature. Perhaps a separate item can be created for favicons in a future release of CCleaner? (or better yet, removing that cleaning feature entirely)

Dell Latitude D600

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1

follow_me-c.png

With the latest version of CCleaner (2.30.1130), with the "History" item checked, all favicons for bookmarks are cleaned. This is occurring on Opera 10.51. This did not happen on previous versions of CCleaner and is obviously is not a desired feature. Perhaps a separate item can be created for favicons in a future release of CCleaner? (or better yet, removing that cleaning feature entirely)

Same happening here to me Running 2.30.1130 with Opera 10.51 and Win XP :(

Having all the favicons disappear was a bit of a surprise that I could have done without. It's easy enough to exclude the folder, but it's possible to delete those from within Opera itself and I wouldn't call that an "improvement" to the history cleaning.

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks, we'll look into this.

I'm running Opera 10.1, and when I used the new version of CCleaner it wiped all my favicons.

It's bad enough taking care I don't install the pestilential Yahoo toolbar inadvertently when I install an update, but there's no way I can use CCleaner if it's going to do this. Which is a shame because I genuinely appreciate the product.

In the meantime, could you at least indicate what option to switch off to avoid this happening again?

• Moderators

Hi Booyakasha, and welcome to Piriform.

There isn't anything you can turn off, but you can add the "icons" folder to CCleaners "Exclude" routine, to stop it being deleted:

"Options\Exclude\Add\Drive or Folder", and browse to the following location:

"C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Opera\Opera\icons"

You would first need to show hidden files and folders by opening any Windows Explorer window and go to "Tools\Folder Options\View", and scroll down to "Hidden files and folders", and check the "Show hidden files and folders" box.

You would first need to show hidden files and folders by opening any Windows Explorer window and go to "Tools\Folder Options\View", and scroll down to "Hidden files and folders", and check the "Show hidden files and folders" box.

You have raised in my mind a question - nothing to do with Favicons, icons, etc.

I have many hidden files, and system files, all of which I can see.

What are the consequences with CCleaner if I revert to Windows defaults with all those things hidden ?

e.g. if a junk file is hidden, does CC respect its privacy and avoid it,

or does it still track it down and list it in the analysis even though I am not supposed to see it,

and does it kill it (even if it has not shown me ! !)

Regards

Alan

• Moderators

I've never thought about that one Alan, but I suppose a junk file being hidden doesn't offer it any protection against it being zapped. Although ...

... your question actually raises another one regarding the "hidden" status of files.

The "icons" folder referenced above doesn't carry the "hidden" attribution itself, but one has to remove the "hidden" attribution from "Local Settings" and subsequently "Application Data", to make it visible to the "Exclude" dialogue.

So is that folder hidden or not. The answer has to be yes, and no.

Does this "hidden", but not tagged as "hidden", make a difference as to whether programs like CCleaner can pick them up or not?

You've got me. I would have to try it to find out, although I think they'll all be zapped regardless.

Hi Booyakasha, and welcome to Piriform.

There isn't anything you can turn off, but you can add the "icons" folder to CCleaners "Exclude" routine, to stop it being deleted:

"Options\Exclude\Add\Drive or Folder", and browse to the following location:

"C:\Documents and Settings\<username>\Local Settings\Application Data\Opera\Opera\icons"

Thank you for that very clear set of instructions. I followed them and ran Ccleaner and my renewed favicons are safe.

Hi, with the new version 2.31 the cleaner of the favicons works best, but many favicons of bookmarks, are still erased.

"Non è tanto chi sei quanto quello che fai che ti qualifica"
"Il coraggio non è la mancanza di paura ma bensì la consapevolezza che qualcosa sia più importante della paura stessa"

Hi, with the new version 2.31 the cleaner of the favicons works best, but many favicons of bookmarks, are still erased.

Yes same here. 2.31 was better than previous but in this version the Ccleaner erase the search engines icons such as bing, google, imdb, wiki etc.

• Moderators

The obvious ones are in the Opera "Tab Bar":

pSGFSs.jpg

These are "Opera Mail", Windows Live Mail, and "Yahoo Mail".

For info, the Opera icons for other sites in the drop down bookmarks menu are retained.

In fact, although I have literally hundreds of bookmarks in the drop down menu, which makes it impossible to say with any accuracy which ones have gone, it's possible only the tab bar shortcuts have been affected. But not all of them.

Hi everyone,

We have found a possible solution for the problem, but we need some volunteers to help us testing it.

Please, PM me if you feel like helping.

Thanks

Guest MrT

Hi,

I would like to thank DennisD and Folgore101 for their time and dedication in helping us to improve the Favicons deletion algorithm.

This improvement will most likely be added to the next release.

Thank you very much for all your support.